Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Has any member cashed on a fix race?
Poll Options
Has any member cashed on a fix race?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #46
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehill
I remember a long time ago when peter ferriola was training horses, he had a put a horse in a non winner of one allowance race and the horse was either the favorite or close second choice. the horse wanted to run the entire race and every time the horse tried to make a move the jockey made the horse run up on the horse in front of him so that the horse had to steady, that happened at least 4 times in the race and the horse ran out of the money.
next time out they put the horse in a non winners of two and the horse won by 6 lengths and paid $15.40. I cashed.
So many times I have heard jockeys get yelled at and cursed at for being "stupid" and "not knowing how to ride" but in a lot of those races they were doing what they were instructed to do.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #47
horses4courses

Old bookie Sam

In the early 1970s, I was at the Leopardstown races in Dublin, Ireland.
I must have been in early HS years - can't recall exactly.
On Wednesdays, though, school got out early and it was a mile walk to the track.
Getting out at noon, the first race was usually around 1:00 in the winter time, or early spring. Perfect.

On this particular day, I think it was either in late Feb or early March, I was walking down into the betting ring where the bookmakers stood. We were probably approaching the second, or third race, out of six, and I may have even been fortunate enough to be on my way to collect some winnings, but that may be stretching it .

I can still see the faces of these two bookies in the ring - one leaning up to another I knew, and giving him some information about the upcoming hunter chase. Old Sam (last name withheld), then in his 80s, and about as old school as they came, was bending down listening to this well dressed man, and I was close enough to get the gist of the conversation. A certain female trainer from the north of Ireland had a runner in the next race that was in tremendous form - form which had not been displayed before on the track.
Sam listened, nodded a couple of times, and got down from his foot stand.
The conversation had lasted all of 10 seconds.
Both men adjourned to the bar under the grandstand.

Sam never missed a race when he attended a meeting.
Always up at his pitch doing business, and shouting the odds as the runners went to post.
I'd watched him casually for a few years - I was relatively new at this game.
He'd been making book for a long time before I was around.
I also happened to know two of his granddaughters who were at the same school.
Very friendly girls - but that's another story.

Sam did not return to his pitch before that race. Highly unusual.
It was obvious that any business he would do on this occasion,
would be done under the radar.
My normal one or two pound bet ($2-3) would need to be increased here.
A look around the ring - the opening 10-1 odds on this horse were vanishing fast.
Next quote 8-1, and I clenched a five pound note tight and gave it to a bookmaker who I can't recall now.
He repeated my bet to his clerk behind the board - "40 pounds to 5 on horse XXX, ticket number 865". I was down.

The race, which I do remember, was the Kilgobbin Hunter Chase and was run over 3 miles.
I never had an anxious moment during the race.
The horse jumped like a stag, and won easily. Closing odds were around 3-1.
I was locked-in at 8-1, so no worries there.
Many bookmakers took a pounding on that race. Sam wasn't one of them.
Was the fix in? Unlikely.
This was a lightly raced improving horse. There were no superstars in opposition - the race was there for the taking.
Sometimes inside information can be quite profitable.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.

Last edited by horses4courses; 12-09-2013 at 02:14 PM.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #48
offtrack

I remember watching Walter Case, dressed in a Santa Claus suit, win a few races. It was Christmas time, probably at Yonkers. Even I figured the gift was a Christmas winner.
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #49
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Charles Town racest.
West Virginia- heard it both ways. Surprised nobody has asked if you've ever juiced a horse.

Last edited by pondman; 12-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #50
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

A friend of mine at a former job was big into the NY racing scene with Saturday visits to Belmont and a week at 'toga every year. We still keep in touch and meet at Belmont annually for JCGC Day in October. His son is friendly with a morning exercise rider (also NYRA teller) for a somewhat small, yet well known NY trainer. I'm not going to give out names, but he's had some real nice horses in the past, but not as many recently. We had gotten some good information from the exercise rider in the past and cashed some tickets.

So the "inside information" this time is for a NYB maiden that hadn't done much running at all in 4 starts on the dirt. I'm assuming this is still true, but in NY you can't work a horse over the lawn unless they are entered in an upcoming stakes race. The info is that the trainer managed to get this 0-4 maiden onto the lawn to workout by claiming he was the stakes horse in his barn. The "tip" is the maiden loved the turf and should easily handle any NYB field.

Yup, he wires the field under wraps at near 7/2 over an 8/5 shot and several of us from worked cashed nice tickets. This happened in 2009 and the horse turned out to be a pretty nice NYB winning many allowances and a stakes race. He may have run on the dirt once or twice over the next 30+ starts and he's still running at age 7, with 2 wins this year at a high level; although the original trainer is long out of the picture.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #51
cosmicway

I have but it's been a long time.
Also missed a real great opportunity once because I had no money.
Cases of 50-50 knowledge of hanky panky occur even to this day.
cosmicway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #52
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
A friend of mine at a former job was big into the NY racing scene with Saturday visits to Belmont and a week at 'toga every year. We still keep in touch and meet at Belmont annually for JCGC Day in October. His son is friendly with a morning exercise rider (also NYRA teller) for a somewhat small, yet well known NY trainer. I'm not going to give out names, but he's had some real nice horses in the past, but not as many recently. We had gotten some good information from the exercise rider in the past and cashed some tickets.

So the "inside information" this time is for a NYB maiden that hadn't done much running at all in 4 starts on the dirt. I'm assuming this is still true, but in NY you can't work a horse over the lawn unless they are entered in an upcoming stakes race. The info is that the trainer managed to get this 0-4 maiden onto the lawn to workout by claiming he was the stakes horse in his barn. The "tip" is the maiden loved the turf and should easily handle any NYB field.

Yup, he wires the field under wraps at near 7/2 over an 8/5 shot and several of us from worked cashed nice tickets. This happened in 2009 and the horse turned out to be a pretty nice NYB winning many allowances and a stakes race. He may have run on the dirt once or twice over the next 30+ starts and he's still running at age 7, with 2 wins this year at a high level; although the original trainer is long out of the picture.
The old man still has it at age 8 with a victory today in a high price optional allowance at Belmont. Strong Impact. And ughhhh, claimed by DJ.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 02:22 AM   #53
highnote

I enjoyed reading this thread and it reminded me of a few stories.

A relative of mine used to work at Mountaineer Park back in the early '70s when it was still Waterford Park.

He worked in security and said he often heard the jocks fixing races -- especially around Christmas time so they could buy presents for their families. They'd also fix a race if one of them needed money because they had fallen on hard times.

----

Back in the '90s my friend and I used to go to the races every Saturday at Belmont and Aqueduct. We did not miss a single meeting for an entire year. We were also paddock handicappers. After a while you get to know the horses by sight. You also become a pretty good judge of fitness.

One day there was a shipper from out of town -- Delaware, I believe. The horse was jet black. I don't know about you, but I have seen thousands of thoroughbreds and I've only seen one jet black thoroughbred and it was the shipper from Delaware. This was a low level claiming race for 3 year olds, but this horse looked like an older champion. He was the class of the field, but you'd never know it from his form.

We saw a groom watching the race on the monitor. He turned to us and said you've got to bet this horse at 3-1 because he can't lose. Neither of us bet him. DUH! What were we thinking.

He won easily. It was never a contest. To this day we are convinced it was a ringer.

Back then Daily Racing Form only printed the past 10 races. I went home and checked my database and discovered that this horse had raced 11 races ago in New York. I forgot how he did the previous time, but his form had been darkened in the meantime -- and so had his coat.

We wondered what would have happened if we would have claimed the horse. We joked that we would have probably gotten a visit from the former owner and he would have offered to buy the horse back. It would have been an offer we couldn't refuse.

----

Races for amateur jockeys are pretty common in England according to my friend who is a British racing journalist. He told me that the way to bet an amateur riding race is to watch the jockeys in the paddock and take note of how they sit on their mounts. A jockey with the best form is usually the best jockey and can be worth a bet.

One day back in the 90s Aqueduct staged an amateur riding race. My British friend and I went to the paddock to watch the jockeys. There was a jockey who just looked great sitting on his horse. His style reminded us of Jerry Bailey -- upright and very professional looking.

Well, the good looking jockey's horse won easily at around 3 or 4 to 1. We did not bet the race because it was for amateur riders. We kicked ourselves in the ass for not betting, though.

Then, before the race was declared official the inquiry sign went up.

Turns out the horse the good looking jockey was riding was disqualified because the jockey had rode professionally in South America -- Panama, I think?

The race was declared a non-betting event and all tickets were refunded.

----------

There was also the Sweetcatomine fiasco in the Santa Anita Derby back in 2005. The filly was entered against the boys and was the favorite.

She was taken off track in the middle of the night before the race and placed in a hyperbaric chamber. However, the track was never notified and was told it was a pony being taken off of the track. I bet her and lost money on this race. It was one of the bigger bets I ever made.

It was quite controversial. Here is a link to the story:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...mine-dismissed

Last edited by highnote; 05-17-2014 at 02:31 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #54
098poi

When I lived in So Cal I was at Santa Anita or Hollywood and I knew a guy who "knew a guy". His guy said the horse can't lose. The horse lost.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #55
cosmicway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi
When I lived in So Cal I was at Santa Anita or Hollywood and I knew a guy who "knew a guy". His guy said the horse can't lose. The horse lost.
These things happen everyday.
Pay also attention that some horses are in the pipeline and perform next time.

The clue is to get in when you know someone is reputable.
It's like political parties. Some of their spokesmen are reputable, some others are veg market layabouts.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #56
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Horses with forms darkened to set up for a bet? Sure, many times. Outright fixes with other horses stiffed and the result preordained? Never.
Tend to go along with this, and believe that it is a pretty good brief summary of how things are. There have been several anecdotes involving jockeys in this thread. Whenever I read or hear one, I am reminded of something that the great Eddie Arcaro was reputed to have said. When asked what he would like to do now that his riding career was over, he said that his dream job would be to be allowed to operate the hand book in the jock's quarters, ie, in his opinion, the riders were terrible handicappers, knew nothing out of the ordinary, and he would make a fortune taking their bets.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #57
Bullet Plane

About 20 years ago, when I still went to the track frequently...

I was in the $2.00 line with the lowlifes, as usual, when I noticed a gorgeous young woman dressed to the nines at the $50.00 window making a bet.

As was my custom, I meandered out to the paddock to watch them saddle the horses...

And to my surprise, there was the gorgeous well dressed woman from the $50.00 window with her husband and kids - all dressed for picture taking - standing in the area where the trainer lifts the jockey onto the horses,

... with the trainer of the 8 horse...

Hmmmm.. I wondered.. this horse was 20-1 on the morning line. I looked at the form, and the horse looked hopeless. Then I looked at the board, and the horse was getting bet down to around 8-1.. 6-1 range.

As the horses went to the track, I went back to the windows and bet all I had... on the 8 horse...

It won for fun...

Don't know if a fix was in, or what the hell was going on...

I never did see those people again.. and that was my last "score" of that nature...
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #58
highnote

Good one, Bullet.

I saw a similar thing happen at Aqueduct during the winter meet. Alan Jerkins, Sr. was standing on the ground floor of the clubhouse on a cold, blustery day, just a few strides from the paddock. I had been on the groundfloor of the clubhouse every Saturday for the entire meet because we did paddock handicapping and I never once saw him there before.

But he was there that day before a race and he and the connections were all dressed to the nines. Sure enough his horse won and they all walked to the winner's circle to get their picture taken.

I swore next it happened I would bet his horse. I never saw it happen again.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #59
BlueShoe

While all the talk about fixes and hot tips is mostly bunk, there are such things as betting coups. There are such things as betting stables, outfits that will wager heavily when they strongly believe that their runner has a very good chance of winning. This is why tabbing the tote, watching for what appears to be non public betting action can give strong hints. Talk is cheap, but when a person or persons supposedly with information not known to the general public wagers large sums, it might be wise to pay attention.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #60
cosmicway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
While all the talk about fixes and hot tips is mostly bunk, there are such things as betting coups. There are such things as betting stables, outfits that will wager heavily when they strongly believe that their runner has a very good chance of winning. This is why tabbing the tote, watching for what appears to be non public betting action can give strong hints. Talk is cheap, but when a person or persons supposedly with information not known to the general public wagers large sums, it might be wise to pay attention.
I don't advise anyone to look forward to such info.
There are spurious instances if you are a race goer, otherwise if you follow from tv-net, it is 100% bs or conspiracy theories that prove wrong.
But it's happening and a look at police records will convince anybody.
A partial solution of this problem -if we are all agreed to look upon it as a problem- it to prohibit the participation of all persons under orders in the wagering process (and not just the jocks).