Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Your MWBR angle needs to be refined to exclude the maiden-claimer winners. When a maiden claimer gets trounced in its first race against winners...it isn't because the horse "bounced". It's because the maiden claimers bear no resemblance to the regular claimers of the same dollar denomination.

A $10,000 maiden claimer wins its race while earning a comparatively-impressive speed figure...and the trainer, getting encouraged by the performance, enters the horse against $10,000 straight claimers next out. I don't care what the speed figures say, this horse is going to get TROUNCED next race...and the "bounce" factor has nothing to do with it. The maiden-claiming winners are totally incapable of reproducing the figures that they've run in the maiden-claimers, when they step up to face the horses who have been competing in straight-claimers. They need a steep drop in class in order to continue to compete effectively.
Pretty rare one of these shows up against straight claimers these days. The jump to NW2 isn't nearly as steep.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Pretty rare one of these shows up against straight claimers these days. The jump to NW2 isn't nearly as steep.
They need a 50% drop in class even in the NW2 races, IMO.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
They need a 50% drop in class even in the NW2 races, IMO.
I'll test that out and get back to you. That used to be conventional wisdom for straight claimers, seems a bit steep for NW2.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
I'll test that out and get back to you. That used to be conventional wisdom for straight claimers, seems a bit steep for NW2.
Would you please separate the sprints from the routes? I've always wondered what the distance difference is in this aspect.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #20
jay68802

I will play horses like this as long as they pressed a high pace in the maiden win. No wire to wire winners. And then in the next race they have to finish in the top half of the field and were less than 6 lengths from the lead at the finish, minimum odds of 7-1.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #21
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
I believe it was Ainsle or Frank George that said to take 75% of Mdn claimer for his value in claimers. If a Big Win then full value may be ok. I think since that time Thask's 50% is more in line.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #22
FlintAtTheFetlock

Quote:
Your MWBR angle needs to be refined to exclude the maiden-claimer winners. When a maiden claimer gets trounced in its first race against winners...it isn't because the horse "bounced". It's because the maiden claimers bear no resemblance to the regular claimers of the same dollar denomination.

A $10,000 maiden claimer wins its race while earning a comparatively-impressive speed figure...and the trainer, getting encouraged by the performance, enters the horse against $10,000 straight claimers next out. I don't care what the speed figures say, this horse is going to get TROUNCED next race...and the "bounce" factor has nothing to do with it. The maiden-claiming winners are totally incapable of reproducing the figures that they've run in the maiden-claimers, when they step up to face the horses who have been competing in straight-claimers. They need a steep drop in class in order to continue to compete effectively.
This is very helpful. I have some homework to do on class handicapping when at the MC level. It looked to me like the natural progression from MC12500 to cl12500N2L. She got play at 7-2 and when the speed figure dropped from 80 to 67, I knee jerk bounce, but you are saying the low fig is to be expected due to the competition? Please elaborate. The horse obviously failed to 'rebound' so I made a bad play. Thanks much.

PS: Any other 'no no's' on this angle? MWBR

chasing the bone, flies at the nostrils plunder
- IA @1978
FlintAtTheFetlock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply