Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
barn32
tmrpots

The Path of Totality: August 21st Total Solar Eclipse

In 1979 I drove to Seattle Washington where I was fortunate enough to witness the total solar eclipse...from an airplane!

It was magical.

I really can't explain it. It was like watching sparkling diamonds in the sky. It was a glimpse...into heaven.

On August 21, there will be another total solar eclipse that will cut a path across the entire country about 70 miles wide starting in Oregon and continuing on through Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and South Carolina.

I will be traveling from Las Vegas Nevada to Buffalo Wyoming to stay with friends, which is 112 miles to the north of Casper Wyoming. Casper, with an elevation of 5000 ft. will be the perfect viewing destination directly in the center of this rare, astronomical event.

If you have the opportunity to locate yourself in the path of "totality" I highly recommend doing so.

It is something you will never forget.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Map_of_Totality2.jpg (84.7 KB, 20 views)
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
In 1979 I drove to Seattle Washington where I was fortunate enough to witness the total solar eclipse...from an airplane!

It was magical.

I really can't explain it. It was like watching sparkling diamonds in the sky. It was a glimpse...into heaven.

On August 21, there will be another total solar eclipse that will cut a path across the entire country about 70 miles wide starting in Oregon and continuing on through Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and South Carolina.

I will be traveling from Las Vegas Nevada to Buffalo Wyoming to stay with friends, which is 112 miles to the north of Casper Wyoming. Casper, with an elevation of 5000 ft. will be the perfect viewing destination directly in the center of this rare, astronomical event.

If you have the opportunity to locate yourself in the path of "totality" I highly recommend doing so.

Yeah man, I have to start making plams. At least go to South Carolina but Oregon would be best.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
chadk66

Quote:

It was magical.

crazy enough my hometown in ND was the epicenter of that eclips in 79'. It was pretty amazing.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
tucker6

Where I live in SC, I expect about two minutes of totality. The closest I ever came was about 93% total about 25 years ago in PA. With my luck it will be cloudy, but I hope to see the stars out at 3pm.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Where I live in SC, I expect about two minutes of totality. The closest I ever came was about 93% total about 25 years ago in PA. With my luck it will be cloudy, but I hope to see the stars out at 3pm.

That would be great if you don't have to travel, don't have to deal with the hood polloi
Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
Marshall Bennett

Have an alternative location planned in case of weather/clouds. I witnessed the eclipse in 1973, believe it was like 90%. It was amazing none the less. The daylight to dusk effect is strange. At total eclipse they say in rural areas the birds and wildlife react as it gets nearly dark.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Have an alternative location planned in case of weather/clouds. I witnessed the eclipse in 1973, believe it was like 90%. It was amazing none the less. The daylight to dusk effect is strange. At total eclipse they say in rural areas the birds and wildlife react as it gets nearly dark.
I wonder if crime will go up in cities as criminals think sunset has arrived.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
plainolebill

We're right in the path of the eclipse. My wife and I are looking forward to it.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Trijack

After visiting family in Letcher County,k Ky we will be in Spring Valley, Tn to watch the eclipse. Then on to visit a brother in Huntsville. AL. thanks to my son Joey who is into this sorta thing. And I live in CA
Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
That would be great if you don't have to travel, don't have to deal with the hood polloi
I meant hoi polio but the spell correct hood polloi works too.

Real expensive and many events that would be fun ( 2winery events in Oregon for instance) are sold out. I hope Mother Nature obliges as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
BaffertsWig

Expecting over a million out of state/country visitors to the state of Oregon for the event. Sounds like a logistical nightmare for those small towns, good for the business owners though.
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
Actor
Librocubicularist

I have hotel reservations. We will be almost directly under the path of maximum totality and will observe it from the hotel parking lot. I have purchased special sunglasses for the event.

https://www.atheists.org/convention2017/

Last edited by Actor; 07-11-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I got my glasses a few months ago.....but I'll probably be in Texas.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #14
barn32
tmrpots

What do you need glasses for? You shouldn't be looking at the sun until there is full totality. When that happens, it's perfectly safe to look at the eclipse.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #15
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
What do you need glasses for? You shouldn't be looking at the sun until there is full totality.
You'll miss most of the show.
Quote:
When that happens, it's perfectly safe to look at the eclipse.
Not according to NASA.

"It is never safe to look at a partial or annular eclipse, or the partial phases of a total solar eclipse, without the proper equipment and techniques." - NASA

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety2.html

Last edited by Actor; 07-11-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply