Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #31
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
The only thing Mussolini ever did right --and it wasn't making the trains run on time-- was to irrigate southern Italy, most notably the southern eastern region of Puglia.

The very best olive oil on earth comes from Puglia; Sicily is second.

Stay away from those overpriced bitter olive oils from Tuscany and even France. And of course, stay away from any olive oil from Costco. You should definitely ignore all of those blended oils.

Pay a few bucks more for delicious olive oil from southern Italy and you'll thank me later.
Thanks. I'll take your suggestion! If I can find southern Italian olive oil it would be fun to compare it to what I'm using now.

The label on the California Olive Ranch brand that we are currently using says that it is made from late season Arbequina.

Wikipedia says:

"Arbequina is a cultivar of olives. The fruit is highly aromatic, small, symmetrical and dark brown, with a rounded apex and a broad peduncular cavity. In Europe, it is mostly grown in Catalonia, Spain,[1] but it is also grown in Aragon and Andalusia, as well as California,[2] Argentina, Chile, and Australia. It has recently become one of the dominant olive cultivars in the world, largely under highly intensive, "super high-density" plantation.

Arbequina trees are adaptable to different conditions of climate and soil, although it does best in alkaline soils; it thrives in long, hot, dry summers, but is frost-hardy and pest-resistant. Its relatively small cup, allows it to be cultivated under more intense, high-density conditions than other plantation olives[5] The variety is very productive and enters early into production (from the first half of November). The fruit does not ripen simultaneously, and has an average resistance to detachment. Unlike most varieties, Arbequina has a high germination percentage, making it a common seedling tree for use as a rootstock. 78% of olive oil acres in California are planted on Arbequina rootstock.[6]

Although sold as a table olive as well, Arbequina olives have one of the highest concentrations of oil, and are therefore mostly used for olive oil production.[7] Harvesting is easy since the trees are typically low to the ground and allow for easy hand picking. Oils made from Arbequina are generally buttery, fruity, and very mild in flavor,[8] being low in polyphenols.[4] The combination of low polyphenol levels and high levels of polyunsaturated fat as compared with other olive cultivars means that it has relatively low stability and short shelf-life."
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #32
woodtoo

I love my "Hutterite" chicken, yuge and well fed free range and cheaper than any store. Bartering accepted.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #33
thaskalos

When in doubt...go Greek.

This is the only olive oil that I buy...and I've tried them ALL. NO ONE knows olive oil like the Greeks do...IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Ellora-Farms-...10BV5JRMH&th=1
Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #34
whisperlunch

Chickity China the Chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #35
plainolebill

I buy my olive oil from Trader Joe's, it's made from California Arbequina olives. Chicken from China, any kind of food from, China sounds like an epidemic waiting to happen.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #36
MONEY

Lots of Chinese people eat Chicken from China and are doing great.

Quote:
The current population of China is 1,388,381,688 as of Tuesday, July 11, 2017, based on the latest United Nations estimates.
http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...na-population/

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Pink slime is bad enough, but pink slime from China is even more unappealing.
Pink slime reminds me of Steak-umm.

Yummy!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #37
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
Lots of Chinese people eat Chicken from China and are doing great.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...na-population/

Pink slime reminds me of Steak-umm.

Yummy!
And if China didn't have a one child policy, that number would be closer to 2 billion.China still has a signifigant rural population and folks on the farm like to have extra kids to help out "Children have one mouth to feed but two hands to work" as the old saying goes.

As for "pink slime", that is simply a psychological reaction based on the name.Although it sounds like something PETA invented, it was a biologist at USDA who came up with the term in an email that an expose got a hold of.It's still beef.

And yes, Steakumms is one of the great pleasures of Western civilization.Although being the cheap bahsturd that I is, I usually get the more inexpensive options like Philly Gourmet or Shop Rite.

Low budget pink slime - that's livin', baby!

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply