Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Santa Anita Pick 5 Carryover, 392k for Jan 4th.

Get cappin!

Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
olddaddy

How much will be in pool? I heard someone say 2M, that seems high.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Its not. Pick 5 is the hot bet because of the takeout, they'll get 2m new money almost for sure.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

That boycott sure worked wonders....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
That boycott sure worked wonders....
We don't know what has been boycotted since we can never know who's sitting on the sidelines not betting. Maybe the pools would be much higher. Also, people can still bet a 14% pool w carryover and boycott the rest of the stuff, partial boycotts also work well.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
We don't know what has been boycotted since we can never know who's sitting on the sidelines not betting. Maybe the pools would be much higher. Also, people can still bet a 14% pool w carryover and boycott the rest of the stuff, partial boycotts also work well.
Let's see. Since the start of the boycott, none of the bets that had takeout increased went back down and didn't the take on the doubles go up? Handle is on the rise in SoCal? People are dumping loads of money into a bet almost none will win because of the level of difficulty? That is supposed to be a positive? It didn't work. At all.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Let's see. Since the start of the boycott, none of the bets that had takeout increased went back down and didn't the take on the doubles go up? Handle is on the rise in SoCal? People are dumping loads of money into a bet almost none will win because of the level of difficulty? That is supposed to be a positive? It didn't work. At all.
It depends on your definition of "Working". Did it work on such a massive scale that it was noticeable by all but the blindest of mice? No. Did it get rid of SOME customers who might otherwise be betting? No doubt, the handle would he higher if the takeout was lower.

Its just a matter of how you want to look at things. We don't know what the handle would be otherwise, so its hard to say how much a boycott hurt. It doesn't seem like it hurt at all and if you're going on perception, you are correct to say what you said.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

If there's 2.6 million new money bet into the pool, you get to bet for free as the carryover will wipe out the takeout.

If the "new money"is under 2.6 million, they're essentially paying you to bet.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
It depends on your definition of "Working". Did it work on such a massive scale that it was noticeable by all but the blindest of mice? No. Did it get rid of SOME customers who might otherwise be betting? No doubt, the handle would he higher if the takeout was lower.

Its just a matter of how you want to look at things. We don't know what the handle would be otherwise, so its hard to say how much a boycott hurt. It doesn't seem like it hurt at all and if you're going on perception, you are correct to say what you said.
This is revisionist history. The point of the boycott originally was not to hurt the track but to get them to lower the rates by showing that players are price sensitive. Didn't happen. Victory was proclaimed by some when the P5 was put in place. Some victory. Is less coming in now? Should be but then the P5 is bringing some of that in anyway. There was no plan. There was no real leadership. One of the so called leaders has so insulted people that he is being asked to quit contacting them. No way to do business. But hey, over a million will be dumped in on a bait and switch bet tomorrow. Some victory.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
This is revisionist history. The point of the boycott originally was not to hurt the track but to get them to lower the rates by showing that players are price sensitive. Didn't happen. Victory was proclaimed by some when the P5 was put in place. Some victory. Is less coming in now? Should be but then the P5 is bringing some of that in anyway. There was no plan. There was no real leadership. One of the so called leaders has so insulted people that he is being asked to quit contacting them. No way to do business. But hey, over a million will be dumped in on a bait and switch bet tomorrow. Some victory.
I hear you, can't argue with much of this, if any of it. But they did institute the lower takeout bet and its so popular that people handicap the snot out of 5 races, they're going to make other bets, no matter what they takeout, because they have formulated opinions that took them hours to formulate.

It comes down to supply and demand, horseplayers have huge egos, there's no amount of takeout that they dont think they can overcome if they "love" a horse.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
JohnGalt1

Could the increase in betting have something to do with SA, (and NY,) being one of the few track without pick 5 and 6 jackpot bets? And that their pick six is still $2 minimum? And their pick 6 still attracts a minimum of $50k per day?

I used to bet a lot at Hawthorne. I've not put them on my "do not play" list, but have cut back because of the twenty cent minimums for exotics and they now have a jackpot pick six. I bet about 75% of my handle on win bets so I'm not as affected

The jackpot pick 6 works for Gulfstream, except not paying out 5/6 like a traditional pick 6 makes it an all-or-nothing wager, so I seldom play it.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
TMQ
Longacres transplant

Anyone have any singles? Having a hard time narrowing things down. . .
TMQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
davew

After yesterdays races, I will not bet SA anymore for awhile.
48, 82, 27.2, 8.4, 62.2, 16.8, 10.6, 18, 176.2 winners
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
lamboguy

i put in $10

1. 1-2-6-7

2. 1

3. 1-3-5-6-7-

4. 7

5. 6
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #15