Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #331
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Predetermination is plus or minus quantum uncertainty. Plus it could be predetermined that you would change your mind.
Well then..if it's been predetermined that I change my mind, I still don't have to do a thing. Mudder Nature, with or without that book, will have predetermined that I convert to atheistic evolution no matter what. But since I currently have 0 inclination to read rubbish, I won't. Mudder Nature will have her work cut out for her.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #332
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
ISIS atrocities inadvertently prove Bible historically accurate.
In 2014 ISIS destroyed the burial site of Jonah in Mosel. After being liberated a few weeks ago archaeologists soon discovered buried beneath the
2,300 year old palace of Biblical King Sennacherib who ran a pretty wealthy city around 700 BC. proving the Bible to be more than a bunch of myths.
from the National Catholic Registry. Oh the irony of it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Are you kidding!? There is not one historical fact in the entire bible. You can't take these kinds of discoveries literally, ya know?
boxcar is being facetious.

There's nothing new here. The existence of a couple of dozen or so Biblical personages dating as far back as perhaps 1000 B.C.E. has been confirmed by archeological discoveries. King Sennacherib's existence has been know since 1975, perhaps earlier. Definitely before ISIS. I'll leave it to you dig deeper if you want.

Those personages whose existence can be confirmed from secular sources are all kings, governors, etc. About all that is known about them is that they participated in this or that war or battle.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #333
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Interesting lecture: The Pharmacratic Inquisition...

https://archive.org/details/pharmacratic-inquisition
Old 03-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #334
boxcar

Quote:

There's nothing new here. The existence of a couple of dozen or so Biblical personages dating as far back as perhaps 1000 B.C.E. has been confirmed by archeological discoveries. King Sennacherib's existence has been know since 1975, perhaps earlier. Definitely before ISIS. I'll leave it to you dig deeper if you want.

Those personages whose existence can be confirmed from secular sources are all kings, governors, etc. About all that is known about them is that they participated in this or that war or battle.
The way I read Woodtoo's post it was the king's palace that was discovered -- even though that was only a myth -- or it was most certainly a myth until the the time the mindless mythicists theory was blown to smithereens.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #335
woodtoo

That's right, I think.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #336
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Predetermination is plus or minus quantum uncertainty. Plus it could be predetermined that you would change your mind.
As you made his case, I assumed you were joking, but we were offered the "cool" emoticon rather than the "laughter". It reminded me of the unnoticed presuppositions of the advocates of "Scientism" (the proud self-description of Rosenberg)

Since "scientism" cannot be established using its own methods, its advocates must first become philosophers (e.g., "There is an objective world external to the minds of scientists")...

http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciou...new_page_4.htm
Old 03-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #337
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
As you made his case, I assumed you were joking, but we were offered the "cool" emoticon rather than the "laughter". It reminded me of the unnoticed presuppositions of the advocates of "Scientism" (the proud self-description of Rosenberg)

Since "scientism" cannot be established using its own methods, its advocates must first become philosophers (e.g., "There is an objective world external to the minds of scientists")...

http://faculty.virginia.edu/consciou...new_page_4.htm
Exactly right! And this is why "scientism" is self-defeating, as I pointed out a couple of days ago. The Rosenbergs and Hawkings of this world must philosophize about their scientism or why philosophy is dead. As usual, these modern day philosophers exclude their own philosophy from being dead.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #338
Greyfox

Two shows pertaining to this thread are on CNN tonight.

1. Finding Jesus

2. Believer (I watched this one last week and found it quite interesting on a sect of Hinduism.) 10 p.m. EDT
Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #339
boxcar

Did you say CNN!?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #340
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Did you say CNN!?
Yes. I can't stand their political analysts anymore. But these shows are worth watching, even if you disagree with them.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #341
highnote

Quote:
No, you are being Pharisaic.

Quote:
Fortunately, you are talking to a being that can talk about anything.

Quote:
That doesn't mean that grammar is unnecessary.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #342
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

"The sun-son play on words as applicable to Christ has been deemed so "common" as to represent a "devotional pun." Obviously, this "devotional pun" was widely recognized centuries ago by the English-speaking intelligentsia and educated elite. Therefore, shallow criticisms of the statement that the son of God is the sun of God represent illogical straw men reflective of ignorance of this fact and should be dismissed as such. In reality, the repeated punning across several centuries proves once more that Christ was widely associated with the sun long before the 19th century. In any event, the idea of the sun as both God and the son of God predates the Christian era by centuries, and the ancient solar role was most obviously transferred first to Yahweh and then to his supposed son, the alleged Jewish messiah Jesus Christ."

From....http://www.stellarhousepublishing.co...unexcerpt.html
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #343
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

The Complete Writings of Thomas Paine

https://archive.org/stream/CompleteW...ge/n0/mode/1up
Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #344
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
That man could write!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #345
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Yes. I can't stand their political analysts anymore. But these shows are worth watching, even if you disagree with them.
I had no idea that they aired those kinds of shows, as I don't watch cable or broadcast TV. Is this a documentary or do they have "expert" guests on to discuss various topics?