Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #31
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Well, this was between several such brief vacations. It was chronic and probably the best it had ever been in the short time that I had him.
Ah... chronic feet disasters. Makes you wonder what awful deeds you must have done in a previous life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Actually, he ran one more time after that day, won a crappy stake at a little-league track, set a faux-world record that lasted a month, was turned out again.
OK- now you are just showing off. There is not a guy I know who wouldn't take that... and put the picture on the wall.

You talking like that does remind me of this joke a trainer pulled on another one who had a slow horse that was having trouble keeping up....

(I am in Lexington)

Trainer A: You know, I think you might need to stretch your horse out.
Trainer B: Oh yeah? How far?
Trainer A: I'm thinking.... all the way to Beulah Park.

Oh man, I still laugh at that every time.... but then I stop myself and say, "But on the other hand, a win is a win."

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #32
nijinski

Sonny P , you said you wanted some feedback re trainers wagering on their own horses.
I have read that elsewhere as well. The ones I've met definately wager .Often sending someone to send it in for them. Also have seen those
horses do well in most cases.
Being you have had Standardbreds , I think you might agree that once
they get parked outside too early , or break stride it's pretty much over . Lots of ways for thoroughbreds to lose too , but thank goodness those to factors don't apply.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
Alc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
i'll give you that every situation is unique.

bb's shoe was sprung. it didn't appear the nails were sticking into the "quick" of the foot.

i have no idea what caused that disasterous performance and i don't believe dutrow does either.

allow me to say this and i'd like some feedback from fellow horsemen, owners etc. on the board who have been up close to racehorses.

i think the more you've been around and worked with horses, the less likely you are to bet on them. i say this, because you come to the realization that any one performance is really unpredictable. i've had horses that were feeling sooooo good i feared they would hurt themselves in their stalls. then, i've had old "warhorses" so sore we had to put their feed tubs on the ground next to them cause they really didn't want to get up and eat.

guess what ? the one snorting and sqealing would go out and race like crap and the old war horse would "go to work" and win.

go figure. and on top of the unpredictable performance of your horse, how many ways are there to blow a race ? let me count the ways !

really, unless you are tons, TONS the best, winning a horse race requires a "perfect storm".

would love to get some feedback.
Been involved with horses as an owner and player for over 40 years. Brother was a trainer for years. Mostly in the harness world. The more I learned and experienced, the more difficult it became to wagering anything but small amounts. The number of variables and inconsistencies make it an extremely difficult game. That said, I do believe its possible to eke out positive results. But, the work involved is far,far greater than most people are able or willing to devote.
Alc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply