Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #61
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by statepierback
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more cuts in the future. The business model was fine in the beginning. Still even when TVG was owned by their previous owners it was not a profitable operation. Once the doors were opened up for competitors customers like me left for the better deals out there. TVG nickels and dimes players to death! Betfair only wants TVG as a foot hold to another market. Its smart for them to restructure. Sadly people are adversely effected by this. Hopefully they will land on their feet in due time.
This is the post of the year!
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #62
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I noticed they mentioned "off camera" types being let go. That usually means they automated the camera's in the studio etc. Lots of that going around today.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #63
Southieboy

Explain the meaning of automating.
Southieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #64
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Stronach is costing himself a ton of handle by not letting his tracks go onto TVG.

If you have DirecTv you don't get HRTV to my knowledge, so people arent getting to see those races anyway, letting TVG show SA is not going to hurt HRTV one bit because the people who have HRTV are going to watch HRTV and the people who don't have it, arent going to watch it anyway.

It just doesnt make any sense that a track owner would NOT permit a television channel that's in millions of homes to show their races, that makes zero sense to me.

If it makes sense to you, please explain it to me.
BECAUSE of the ADW. I see their point. not many people (besides me lol") are going to be watching TVG and playing through expressbet ot twinspires.

I have no problem with that. both would go a long way to actually work together (like ESPN and TNT do for the NBA) instead of against each other, share the damn tracks. let TVG show oaklawn and some other tracks that hrtv really doesn't have the time to show. it would make horse racing a better product overall
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #65
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southieboy
Explain the meaning of automating.
here is an example:

[YT="Automated Television Producing"]ys2C00ukgCQ[/YT]

Internet Broadcasters are automating everything....... and these same devices are in automated Studios everywhere now. It takes very few people to broadcast with these tools......... if you are really interested watch the video
below
http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=33
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #66
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud
BECAUSE of the ADW. I see their point. not many people (besides me lol") are going to be watching TVG and playing through expressbet ot twinspires.I have no problem with that. both would go a long way to actually work together (like ESPN and TNT do for the NBA) instead of against each other, share the damn tracks. let TVG show oaklawn and some other tracks that hrtv really doesn't have the time to show. it would make horse racing a better product overall

I do that. I go thru Twinspires and have TVG on in the background. The HRTV hosts are so monotone that it makes me lol
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #67
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud
BECAUSE of the ADW. I see their point. not many people (besides me lol") are going to be watching TVG and playing through expressbet ot twinspires.

I have no problem with that. both would go a long way to actually work together (like ESPN and TNT do for the NBA) instead of against each other, share the damn tracks. let TVG show oaklawn and some other tracks that hrtv really doesn't have the time to show. it would make horse racing a better product overall
Lets say you have a TVG account but you don't have TVG and you have HRTV. You're going to be watching HRTV and betting thru your TVG account, you're not going to get an HRTV account because you don't need one. You're just going to bet with the account that you already have.

I just think that for every person who would actually sign up and bet with HRTV/XP, there's 9 other people who are already signed up and happy with whoever they have. A lot of those people would play Stronach tracks if they were featured on TVG.

I see what youre' saying, i just don't know if leaving all the betting handle on the table by not showing their races on TVG is worth what they're getting in return.

The 100k+ early pick 4 pools at Los Al is a completely manufactured TVG thing, which goes to show how powerful TVG is and how people want to bet the races that are shown on their channel.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #68
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Lets say you have a TVG account but you don't have TVG and you have HRTV. You're going to be watching HRTV and betting thru your TVG account, you're not going to get an HRTV account because you don't need one. You're just going to bet with the account that you already have.

I just think that for every person who would actually sign up and bet with HRTV/XP, there's 9 other people who are already signed up and happy with whoever they have. A lot of those people would play Stronach tracks if they were featured on TVG.

I see what youre' saying, i just don't know if leaving all the betting handle on the table by not showing their races on TVG is worth what they're getting in return.

The 100k+ early pick 4 pools at Los Al is a completely manufactured TVG thing, which goes to show how powerful TVG is and how people want to bet the races that are shown on their channel.
I respect your point of view. Here is food for thought however

Fair Grounds
Gulfstream Park
Oaklawn

3 tracks, that are HRTV exclusive, all three tracks are having outstanding years, fair grounds has raised purses 3 times this meet.

On the other hand, the meadowlands was TVG's big thing forever, and pretty much was what TVG was there to do at night and they are virtually out of business.

What I am getting at is, you can throw santa anita out as a poor performing HRTV track, I can throw Hollywood park out as a poor performing TVG track. You can throw Los Al out as a good track on TVG, I can throw out gulftream park as a HRTV track. I don't think that this has very much to do with why tracks fail and succeed. There is a finate amount of wagering dollars out there, and the people who are wagering, will find the track come hell or high water.

But if there were not exclusive contracts at ALL, i would have no reason to go get TVG or TVG people would have NO reason to get HRTV. The ONLY reason I watch TVG and I mean the ONLY reason is to watch hollywoo dpark on Friday nights and for del mar. that's it. If i could get those on HRTV, i would not know that TVG exists lol. Keeneland's track feed is so crystal clear I don't even bother with TVG. If the end game for TVG is to attempt to sale me on their wagering platform and all the benefits, I have to at least be tuned into TVG for that to happen. They might sale me (they won't, at least until betfair comes) they might not, but getting me watching, is half the battle. You can probably say the same for santa anita or churchill downs in reverse.

But half the game is getting them to sign up, then the other half is getting them to spend money when you sign up. They,by floating from track to track, dont' really sale you on the race. I'm not talking about hardcore handicappers, I can watch a track feed and be done with it if I want to play arace bad enough, but if I am a causal guy, and I decide I want to have some fun, and I put 200 dollars in my account.. you have to SALE me on the idea of wagering on each race. not, sale me i nthe sense, of 'hey look at me 200 dollar pick 3 ticket, oh man sweet value", but, each race, is a battle to get money out of my pocket, you have to dive deep in the race, and come up with reasons, for the bettor, to actually want to spend money on each race, instead all they are, are live replays shows. next thing you know, the bettor has let 4 hours gone by and really hasn't dabbled into anything. You would be much better cutting that down to 2 no more than 3 tracks, and go into depth as to why you should wager on this race, this is a nice angle we can make some money on, etc.

CAse in point, i'm sure everyone here, has at some point, on a monday or Tuesday watched HRTV or TVG, more than likely TVG becuase they actually have live air people on show, and you are just watching, or at least I do, I actually enjoy just watching horse racing from time to time, and you let the guy in the handicapsule, get you to relook at a race that you had passed over because he brought up an interesting angle or something along those lines. Or on a weekniight you are looking at TVG (cough michelle yu cough) and i never plan on actually playing mountineer park, but you see something or hear something and you break out the form or you look at a race that you would not have otherwise looked at. Each race is a sale, with the objective to TRY to get money out of my pocket. They don't view it like that. I dont' give a damn how many live races you can show truth be told. That's not goin to effect the bottom line at all. it might piss some off, but if you are that concerned about it watch it on your ADW.

TVG was built for the casual viewer, the person, who, doesn't put in hours a day, who doesn't do this everyday, the only way you can get that person to actually jump right in and start spending money is to sale races on each races merit. That is not done in the least bit. And in turn, these same people will sign up with your ADW. But, what is the point of taking advantage of their 200 dollar promotion when i can't find anything I want to spend money on? That's like getting a gift card to JC Penny's lol, what the hell do I want from JC penny's I can only buy so many pair of socks.

passing out picks, without diving into a race is like being served a steak with no seasoning and steak sauce.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #69
Alc

The answer to TVG profitability should be obvious. Following California's takeout lead, simply raise the per wager fee from 25 cents to $1.00 or $1.50.
Alc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #70
Canarsie

Apologies if this was posted before as it's pretty old but may be the reason for exclusive tracks. If this is true there's the reason they didn't show Belmont one day in the fall trying to show them who's the boss. If TVG gets revenue from exclusives my guess it's the same for HRTV. What's really needed is for one to buy the other and keep 2 channels.

http://leftatthegate.blogspot.com/20...f-control.html
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #71
andicap

Its possible some hosts were paid more than others. In many industries the highest salaried employees are laid off first.

The disadvantage of Betfair vs. News Corp. is that Murdoch and his partners could absorb what for them were relatively minor losses. If you're generating billions of income on all of your businesses, the loss of a few million dollars is pretty much petty cash.

But Betfair just went public and even though it is a multi-national corp, it is nowhere near the size of News Corp. so it can not as readily absorb losses in one of their businesses. Especially right after an IPO.

From my experience living in England, Betfair was a very well-run company with excellent customer service and a good product. But yes, its agenda is different than the former owners.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #72
eastie
Double Secret Probation

i kinda think that the on air people that were let go was because they were terrible. I'm sure Mr. B is a peach in person and wish him all the best, but spending $24 to hit a $30 pick 3 is too brutal to watch every day. Chris was just a ball buster who really should have been gone long ago. A quarter a bet is insane, i don't bet there anymore. The mute button is generally in play too.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #73
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
i kinda think that the on air people that were let go was because they were terrible. I'm sure Mr. B is a peach in person and wish him all the best, but spending $24 to hit a $30 pick 3 is too brutal to watch every day. Chris was just a ball buster who really should have been gone long ago. A quarter a bet is insane, i don't bet there anymore. The mute button is generally in play too.
I doubt Mr. B was let go because he "picks chalk" or because him and Chris were "the worst" or "highest paid."

It could simply be their contracts were up or close to ending, making the cuts by Betfair more cost effective.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #74
Marshall Bennett

Bob's hit a couple pick 6's over the years that paid huge. He's done well in the past with other wagers including the pick 4. Though he may have been in a slump of late (happens to the best) I doubt they'd can him over it.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #75
statepierback

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport
I doubt Mr. B was let go because he "picks chalk" or because him and Chris were "the worst" or "highest paid."

It could simply be their contracts were up or close to ending, making the cuts by Betfair more cost effective.
If it was the highest paid then Simon Bray would be out. Matt also. I think they just chose those who's duties could be replaced with the other talent they have.
statepierback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply