Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Clocker

Gruden on Monday Night Football

I have generally found Gruden to be annoying (too hyper) and uninformative (too much unexplained jargon). I found MNF to be less entertaining with him on, and Mike Tirico was just kind of there, not good, not bad. I figured maybe it was just me, but apparently others think so too: NY Post
Old 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
lamboguy

i liked the broadcast when they had Frank Gifford, Howard Cosell and Don Merridith. the only pre-game show that i liked was the one that had Jimmy The Greek on it.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

yea, I agree with the article and thought Grudon was somewhat over-hyped last Monday night. The Eagles are his old team, maybe that had something to do with that. He seems to come up with his own stick about what's happening on the field, regardless of what's actually happening. Cosell was infamous for that.
Shame he didn't get offered another head coaching job. He is a super bowl winning head coach. Funny, back in the day, those guys used to be able to write their own tickets. Owners seem to want younger, cheaper, hungrier coaches these days. Besides, Gruden I can name several others, including,Bill Cowher, who won the big game and yet haven't been offered another job.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i liked the broadcast when they had Frank Gifford, Howard Cosell and Don Merridith. the only pre-game show that i liked was the one that had Jimmy The Greek on it.
You would prefer Jimmy the Greek to Chris Berman?

Give that man a drink on me!
Old 11-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker

i have to, he was my good friend
Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
_______
Veteran

Quote:

That's nothing. I am apparently the only human being on earth that misses Dennis Miller.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i have to, he was my good friend
The Greek was an original.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
That's nothing. I am apparently the only human being on earth that misses Dennis Miller.
I am a fan of Miller, but when he gets out of his element, like on MNF, he tries too hard to be funny. This was obvious from the beginning. Then they started giving him canned "analysis" to read on the air, and that was obvious too.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
_______
Veteran

Quote:
I am a fan of Miller, but when he gets out of his element, like on MNF, he tries too hard to be funny. This was obvious from the beginning. Then they started giving him canned "analysis" to read on the air, and that was obvious too.
I have a hard time believing he was reading material handed to him. Most of what he said was so obscure and idiosyncratic that my friends and I had a drinking game built around being able to explain what he had referenced.

Maybe it isn't him so much as the pleasant buzz of being wrong I miss.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Nope. I liked him too. The original group was quite good but always felt Cosell was the driving force there. Gifford was good early but was really slipping in the later years. Meredith had been hit in the head a few too many times I think. As for the guys now, I'd rather listen to the guys that do the pregame do the actual game than Gruden and Tirico. Gruden is just strange and Tirico may be the blandest play by play guy I've ever heard at that level. Ray Lewis, Trent Dilfer and a solid play by play guy would be so much better to listen to. Let Tirico go to doing golf full time and Gruden can go be a coach again.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The Greek was an original.
he was a good man that took me to the cleaner's. but i had a whole lot of war stories with him.

one of the best ones i had was at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. i am with Jimmy and this other fellow that was nick-named "the coach". we go to the gate and they tell us there's going to be a 2 hour delay. i said we can play some gin rummy, the greek say's i am to good for them. the coach comes up with a brainstorm, how about some closest to the wall? i thought to myself, i have no problem with that, i'm a veteran of that game too. the greek says he'll play as long as i pick up the quarter's after each throw. i said sure thing. we are playing for $50 a pitch. after about an hour and a half i am ahead about $1700. all of a sudden the girl announces there is a further delay with the flight to New York due to mechanical problems. we keep playing and my back gets sore from picking up the quarters all the time. by the time we board the plane 5 hours delayed i lost back the $1700 i was ahead and lost about $1000 a piece to each of them!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Clocker

Quote:
I have a hard time believing he was reading material handed to him. Most of what he said was so obscure and idiosyncratic that my friends and I had a drinking game built around being able to explain what he had referenced.

Maybe it isn't him so much as the pleasant buzz of being wrong I miss.
Mostly I agree. But after the first few shows, a couple of time a night he would go into a couple of minutes of straight football, with no attempt at humor. It was like the producer threw a switch for 2 or 3 minutes 2 or 3 times a night and Miller did his color commentary act. Then back to business as usual.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

I agree about Gruden, his "act" is wearing thin.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
MutuelClerk

Agree on Gruden. Wearing thin, but being a Raider fan I have love for Chucky. I remember as a kid Howard Cosell when the Bills were at Miami. Leading off the game saying, Miami has the oranges BUT Buffalo's got the Juice. Great voice, players today couldn't handle being interviewed by him. They're too fragile. MNF used to be special, not so much anymore. Too much football on TV.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Agree on Gruden. Wearing thin, but being a Raider fan I have love for Chucky. I remember as a kid Howard Cosell when the Bills were at Miami. Leading off the game saying, Miami has the oranges BUT Buffalo's got the Juice. Great voice, players today couldn't handle being interviewed by him. They're too fragile. MNF used to be special, not so much anymore. Too much football on TV.
Also, ESPN has ruined things too.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply