Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
thorobasePA

Introducing thoroMotion: visualize any horse race

Hello everyone, I'd like to introduce my newest innovation for horse racing; I call it, thoroMotion.

thoroMotion is a multi-dimensional horse racing visualization and handicapping analysis tool. In simple English, it enables you to understand how a race was run using just official chart data. Think of it like a 'Trakus for the rest of us'!

With thoroMotion, you can review a race in it's entirety, watching how each horse ran their race, what moves they made, the race shape etc

For trip handicappers, you can combine your own trip notes with the chart data, and have a completely custom view of a race on hand.

thoroMotion is 100% free and will be open-sourced this week. I'll start showing horse players how they can use it and how to customize it themselves.

There is simply too much to describe, so see thoroMotion in action here and let me know what you think!

Thanks, Robin
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
46zilzal
velocitician

Howard Sartin borought this out in about 1990

Just a single letter difference as his was Thoromation....Still works very well.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
thorobasePA

Hi 46zilzal,

Afraid I'm not familiar with "Thoromation" ('thoroMotion' is a portmanteau of 'thorobase' and 'Motion Chart') but I'd like to be able to check it out.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar attempts have been made before but I think my effort has some significant attributes:
  • It's HTML/Flash based - it can be used on any webpage and will run on practically any operating system and browser.
  • It's 100% free and will be open-source so anyone can change it if they wish.
  • You will be able to use it with any data source you wish.
  • It will easily integrate with user-generated content, like trip notes data, which can be shared with social networks.
  • It's based on Google-supported technology.

I'd like to know if you have any suggestions about how to improve thoroMotion based on your experience with Dr. Sartin's product.

Thanks!

Last edited by thorobasePA; 02-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.
thorobasePA is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

here is a recently posted stop action example of Thoromation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thoro.JPG (27.6 KB, 610 views)
Old 02-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
thorobasePA

That looks, well, dated and it looks like that was posted on another forum (paceandcap) that I'm not a member of so that's why I wouldn't have seen it.

There's no reason why thoroMotion couldn't do exactly what "Thoromation" does - like I said, it will be open-sourced so if it takes anyone's fancy they can make thoroMotion into whatever they please.

That also looks like Windows/MSDOS executable. Every part of thoroMotion is built using web-enabled APIs, from the data source that supplies the visualization, to the chart itself, that are platform agnostic. You can pretty much do anything you want.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Charli125

I won't have time to mess around with it much until tomorrow, but at first glance, I think it looks very cool.
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorobasePA
That looks, well, dated and it looks like that was posted on another forum (paceandcap) that I'm not a member of so that's why I wouldn't have seen it.
Think I DID SAY it was out in 1990 and you can access that website anytime ( you have to register and be a clone to post however)...dissenting opinions not allowed.. ALL that is known, according to their point of view, is written in the Follow Up magazine and will forever be the ONLY truth in the world...

EVEN THOUGH many others have solid evidence as to what they spout as dogma is full of hooey.

Last edited by 46zilzal; 02-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Charlie D

tb

nice little toy you've made there
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
onefast99

Pretty cool I did notice how dollar bill went from 5/2 to 2/1 around the far turn.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nifty program.....looks like it might be useful.
I will give it a good try out.

Please.....stop 46 from yet another thread hijack! (and unwarrented personal attacks)
Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Deepsix

Not sure just how I'd use this visualiztion? Its based on the results charts AND if I want that info I can simply review the race video. Now.... build the program that can compile the last three races of each entrant (for example) and then based on their prior performance, adjusted for weight, bad trip, etc. , PROJECT how the future race might unfold~ well, that might be fun to play with. It just seems, due to my lack of imagination, that replays of the actual races has the advantage over this product.
Deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Pretty cool I did notice how dollar bill went from 5/2 to 2/1 around the far turn.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
thorobasePA

Thanks for your comment Deepsix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsix
Not sure just how I'd use this visualization? Its based on the results charts AND if I want that info I can simply review the race video.
Absolutely, the race video will always be superior for race reviews. However, I've found videos in horse racing tend to be hard to come by for the average racing fan and you can't use them wherever and however you want to.

With thoroMotion, you can do whatever you want. Imagine having your own website that works off your racing database. When you click on a horse you get a web page with 10 thoroMotions representing the horse's last 10 runs. Within a couple of minutes you can get a pretty good idea of a horse's running style, without having to wait for videos to load or stream.

Or imagine a web page with the thoroMotions of all that day's results. Want to know if there was a track bias? Play all the visualizations at once and see if speed on the lead was holding up etc.

And this is just the basic stuff, you can alter the visualization to do whatever you want because it's all based on open technology. I'll be showing some examples of programming 101 with thoroMotion and the thorobase API.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsix
Now.... build the program that can compile the last three races of each entrant (for example) and then based on their prior performance, adjusted for weight, bad trip, etc. , PROJECT how the future race might unfold~ well, that might be fun to play with. It just seems, due to my lack of imagination, that replays of the actual races has the advantage over this product.
But you see, you don't have a lack of imagination! thoroMotion can do exactly what you say - the data that it uses just has to be in a particular format; what that data represents is up to you! It can be an previously run race, or it can be a projection! It's totally configurable and because it's open-source who knows what innovations others will come up with.

How about advanced algorithms? Imagine reviewing the video a previously run race on TV with blazing fractions where the leader still holds on to win. Imagine being able, with a simple search command, to return visualizations for all other races, at that track and with those race conditions, that had similar race shapes.

Then imagine being able, with one click, to "watch" all the next-time-out performances of all the horses that closed off the pace those days, on a single webpage, to see how often a big performance was coming. Imagine doing this from a mobile device while at the track!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
GameTheory

Thorobase,

You've done some great work on several fronts in a short period of time. We need more people like you. THANK YOU.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
Vinnie

ThorobasePA:

WOW!! Your product appears extremely innovative in its content. Very Cool stuff indeed. Thanks for sharing...

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply