Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
LottaKash

To all the collaborators of Handifast....Fascinating journey people, and I am always watching with interest & enthusiasm.....

best,
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
togatrigger

What is the status on the repository? Am I to assume there are no plans to set one up? If not, is there anything I can do to help that become a reality?

Thanks
togatrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasw32
No problem =)

The reason I did it has had the desired outcome.

The history to it may bore some but I love telling it.

Me and a buddy of mine have been handicapping horses for about 20 years together.

5 years ago I met my wife and her 2 kids, we now have 4 great children, she had gone to OTB with her grandfather way back when at the ripe age of 10, I never had the chance to meet the guy but I wish I had.

She had never bet a pony in her life until we went to Saratoga one day.

I had this great program I had written for the occasion that I had spent about 10 years tweaking, short story, her beginners luck handed me my A$$

We had a 3 hour drive home in front of us, with a few tired toddlers and I started asking (making) her go through each race that she had picked correctly, 6 of them ! and telling me what she "SAW"

I quickly realized it was mere LUCK and dismissed it.

Then we went into the Breeders cup challenge (the 3 of us) two "Veterans" and a NUBE.

Guess what, week in and week out we had are A$$'s handed to us (AGAIN)
so again, I asked, what are you "seeing"

Same stuff rolled out as before, so I started to take notice, actually kept a spreadsheet on what her brain was doing...Speed handicapping would best sum it up, but with the twist of "How" she looked at it...

When I beat her I kept track of "what" Beat her, did she ignore Distance, Pedigree, Class, EP,LP etc...

Pretty soon I had built a profile of what to add to her nonsense, and started for the first time hitting winners, and not just favorites... so I started reprogramming my baby with her brain.

That is what we have now.... she still picks them on the weekends with me "her way" only to have me pull up the program and have the same selection in the top 2 almost every time.

What she was doing was averaging the most recent speeds, tossing any that looked "out of sort" (I am still not sure wtf that means) and coming up with consistent speed rated horses, I threw in my FORM factors (mainly what W.Scott has in his books, modified a bit) and I started adjusting the speeds with form (Form Adjusted Speed Figures)

Anyway, when it finally kept coming up with good winners, a fair amount of time in the top 3 I could not get any further, I could not break through to the top 2 or one (the black box rosetta stone I felt may be within reach, lol)

So I decided that since I had picked up most of my programming asking questions on this forum (I used to only program an access database, then wanted a standalone exe) I would give something back in the shape of my programming for anyone who might push it further.

And push it they did !

My Buddy- well he still uses the DRF and a pen, and we still hand him his you know what on a regular basis.
Interesting approach, the game starts simple-gets complex and then gets simple again.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
douglasw32
douglasw32

I am trying to gather all the code for the repository...

Head and handi please send yours to me... I can post all of it up for others to develop and add to the repository
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
Handiman
BarelyWinning

You want me to send you a suppository? I don't know if I can do that.

Ok I will try. I'll get it off to you by tomorrow.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
togatrigger

awesome. thanks a lot guys.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
Capper Al

If it's open source code where can we get a copy of it? Thanks

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
harntrox

http://tortoisesvn.net/

What i used for videogames for 5 years. Absolutely the best, easiest to understand. If this is what google is using, you may be able to use the awesome SVN interface right out of the box to connect to Google subversion.

In theory all subversion can be converted/connected to by most clients with just a command line and no graphical interface, but its so awesome whats the point.
harntrox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #24
douglasw32
douglasw32

Quote:
Originally Posted by harntrox
http://tortoisesvn.net/

What i used for videogames for 5 years. Absolutely the best, easiest to understand. If this is what google is using, you may be able to use the awesome SVN interface right out of the box to connect to Google subversion.

In theory all subversion can be converted/connected to by most clients with just a command line and no graphical interface, but its so awesome whats the point.

That is an excellent resource...thanks !
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #25
togatrigger

google code would definitly be a good place to start, and Tortoise GUI front ends for the variety of repos is nice. (they have Mercurial, GIT, CVS, and SVN front ends as well).

With the code out there, gaining exposure, you should start getting people who want to contribute. At this point you might find setting up a private repo with a little more punch then the antiquated SVN set up. I use mercurial for contributers then google code to distribute the latest builds.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasw32
No problem =)

The reason I did it has had the desired outcome.

The history to it may bore some but I love telling it.

Me and a buddy of mine have been handicapping horses for about 20 years together.

5 years ago I met my wife and her 2 kids, we now have 4 great children, she had gone to OTB with her grandfather way back when at the ripe age of 10, I never had the chance to meet the guy but I wish I had.

She had never bet a pony in her life until we went to Saratoga one day.

I had this great program I had written for the occasion that I had spent about 10 years tweaking, short story, her beginners luck handed me my A$$

We had a 3 hour drive home in front of us, with a few tired toddlers and I started asking (making) her go through each race that she had picked correctly, 6 of them ! and telling me what she "SAW"

I quickly realized it was mere LUCK and dismissed it.

Then we went into the Breeders cup challenge (the 3 of us) two "Veterans" and a NUBE.

Guess what, week in and week out we had are A$$'s handed to us (AGAIN)
so again, I asked, what are you "seeing"

Same stuff rolled out as before, so I started to take notice, actually kept a spreadsheet on what her brain was doing...Speed handicapping would best sum it up, but with the twist of "How" she looked at it...

When I beat her I kept track of "what" Beat her, did she ignore Distance, Pedigree, Class, EP,LP etc...

Pretty soon I had built a profile of what to add to her nonsense, and started for the first time hitting winners, and not just favorites... so I started reprogramming my baby with her brain.

That is what we have now.... she still picks them on the weekends with me "her way" only to have me pull up the program and have the same selection in the top 2 almost every time.

What she was doing was averaging the most recent speeds, tossing any that looked "out of sort" (I am still not sure wtf that means) and coming up with consistent speed rated horses, I threw in my FORM factors (mainly what W.Scott has in his books, modified a bit) and I started adjusting the speeds with form (Form Adjusted Speed Figures)

Anyway, when it finally kept coming up with good winners, a fair amount of time in the top 3 I could not get any further, I could not break through to the top 2 or one (the black box rosetta stone I felt may be within reach, lol)

So I decided that since I had picked up most of my programming asking questions on this forum (I used to only program an access database, then wanted a standalone exe) I would give something back in the shape of my programming for anyone who might push it further.

And push it they did !

My Buddy- well he still uses the DRF and a pen, and we still hand him his you know what on a regular basis.
This is a great story. I think this is the kind of thing that might appeal to the younger crowd, i.e. new players.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
DJofSD
Screw PC

I think it is important to protect the open source nature of the efforts being made here. The last thing you need is for some greedy b*stard co-opting your efforts by stealing it and claiming it as his own. See http://www.ask.com/wiki/Open_source_license for some ideas about how to make the code/project available for all comers but not let some one assert ownership down the road. I bring this up b/c in my mind this is not any different than what happened with the video archive that was on YouTube of lots of T'bred races that was discussed in the recent PA thread about PartyFavors (?).