Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #31
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Instead of shooting them dead with bullets, DART the females with doses of BIRTH CONTROL. Where it's been tried, it's been successful with wild horses.
It's hard enough to kill coyotes with hours of hunting and centerfires that can reach hundreds of yards with ease...

I don't think tranq guns are in the calculus for them.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #32
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
ranchers can’t round up wild horses on public land and send them to slaughter. My wife works for the national park service. Every few years at Theodore Roosevelt Nat. Park they round up some wild horses and auction them to people. And they’re not kill buyers. They go to good homes and are domesticated and do very well. It’s the same on all nat. Parks with wild horses.
It's not ranchers who round up wild horses, it's the federally funded Bureau of Land Management (BLM)...who are under pressure by 'special interest' groups.

The roundups are underway -- and they’ve led to dozens of deaths of wild horses.

What’s worse is that most Americans are unaware of the tragedy that is happening on our public lands, funded by their tax dollars.

"Nature made them," and we used them...until their usefulness became obsolete.

MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #33
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

True men don't kill coyotes
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #34
Suff
Beat up 💪

These urban coyotes were doing what was described in the article you posted. I wish I had saw it then.

The tiny amount of land between my Condo and I-95 was inhabited by a pack of 6-8 Coyotes. They honestly did not bother me, but a couple of cats went missing, then the duck population plummeted.

I did a few things.

I pointed construction lights inward at the plot of land they were using.

I put smelling salts on their trails.

I air horned them every-time they started howling loudly.

I was trying to annoy them out...unsuccessfully.

It was when I was in the woods sprinkling smelling salts one day that I felt something watching me. I then saw this Coyote bird-dogging me. Can you see him picture#1? Picture#2 is same pic just blown up.

you see him now! lol

This is within a 1/4 mile of Linton Blvd and I-95. Highly Urban.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #35
davew

I live a mile from a railroad crossing. Every night when a train comes by and makes its 3 horn honk warning, the coyotes howl for 5 minutes.

MargieRose, would it be better to let population get large enough so that during a bad winter half of them would starve? How about if they became carriers to some horse disease that it would be impossible to eradicate?

The wild buffalo in parks have made it impossible to eradicate Brucellosis in cattle. Pseudorabies in wild pigs also has made that disease impossible to eradicate.

A question I have is why does the government still own 245 million acres?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #36
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

I've had fairly close contacts with coyotes over the years, probably because I live on the desert edge of Henderson, a suburb of Las Vegas. Funny thing is every time I look at them they turn their heads away as if they had no interest in my presence, kind of like a drooling dog watching you as you eat pizza and turning his head when you look at him like my dog mentioned below.

I was walking my dog in the desert one time, an old Great Dane/Doberman mix. We had walked around an area about a hundred yards away where somebody had dumped a brush pile. Several coyote pups were yipping at something in the pile, probably a rabbit. As I turned to head parallel to them but still distant, I heard two sharp barks behind me. It was mama coyote warning her pups to shut the bleep up. She had followed us and was only about 15 or 20 feet away. If I had continued on straight rather than turning, she probably wouldn't have put herself in danger like that with my huge dog. She trotted by us with my old, half-crippled dog in slow pursuit, giving herself up to save her pups. She made a right turn at a gully and disappeared. My dog returned and we moved on. The coyote pups had disappeared and gone quiet also.

Personally, I like coyotes but I can understand those who consider them a nuisance or a pet/livestock killer. They are that, of course, but they'll be around no matter how many of them we kill.

Last edited by Augenj; 03-18-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #37
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
It's not ranchers who round up wild horses, it's the federally funded Bureau of Land Management (BLM)...who are under pressure by 'special interest' groups.

The roundups are underway -- and they’ve led to dozens of deaths of wild horses.

What’s worse is that most Americans are unaware of the tragedy that is happening on our public lands, funded by their tax dollars.

"Nature made them," and we used them...until their usefulness became obsolete.

https://youtu.be/jJxIwnzbPZY
Don’t believe everything you read or hear
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #38
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

Margie Rose,

You are right. But, to be clear, the ranchers ARE the special interest groups.

The ranchers absolutely ARE behind the round ups of wild horses.

They lease BLM land for small amounts of money per month, per head of cattle. They view the wild horses as competitors for the available resources and, therefore, want them gone.

The BLM is simply the mechanism used to facilitate their wishes.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'd keep the wild horses and get rid of the ranchers.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #40
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I live a mile from a railroad crossing. Every night when a train comes by and makes its 3 horn honk warning, the coyotes howl for 5 minutes.

MargieRose, would it be better to let population get large enough so that during a bad winter half of them would starve? How about if they became carriers to some horse disease that it would be impossible to eradicate?

The wild buffalo in parks have made it impossible to eradicate Brucellosis in cattle. Pseudorabies in wild pigs also has made that disease impossible to eradicate.

A question I have is why does the government still own 245 million acres?
THIS is NOT funny!

Quote:
Ranchers beg people to come shoot yotes. we have yote hunting contests all the time here. One pair of guys won one tourney last year with 53 yotes in one day lol
"How about" ...

Shooting them to extinction, maybe; like the buffaloes almost were? Is that the goal? If so, then back to the disease-carrying buffaloes, I guess.

Controlled hunting, like done for deer, maybe?

The diseases that you mentioned can and have infected many animals. For you "yote" hunters, be careful processing those "yote" carcasses and hides:

Quote:
The most common way to be infected is by eating or drinking contaminated, unpasteurized milk products. When sheep, goats, cows, or camels are infected, their milk is contaminated with the bacteria. If the milk is not pasteurized, these bacteria can be transmitted to persons who drink the milk or eat cheeses and other dairy made from it. Humans can also contract the disease when slaughtering infected animals or when processing contaminated organs from freshly-killed, brucellosis infected livestock, wildlife or feral swine.
Facts About Brucellosis
Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #41
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Margie Rose,

You are right. But, to be clear, the ranchers ARE the special interest groups.

The ranchers absolutely ARE behind the round ups of wild horses.

They lease BLM land for small amounts of money per month, per head of cattle. They view the wild horses as competitors for the available resources and, therefore, want them gone.

The BLM is simply the mechanism used to facilitate their wishes.
Yes. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #42
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'd keep the wild horses and get rid of the ranchers.
Well, if AOC et al get their way, the ranchers will be out of work and the horses will be set free. Might be worth considering!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #43
HalvOnHorseracing

I live across the street from a reservoir which is home to about a million geese, a herd of coyotes, rabbits, rodents - the usual coyote meals. Our garbage pick-up is on Tuesday, but a lot of people put their garbage out Monday night, which often brings coyotes over.

I had a 100 pound labrador at the time. English lab, shorter legs than the American lab, heavier and a shorter muzzle. Very muscular. One night he sat by the door like he had to go out. As soon as I open the door the dog bolts for one of the coyotes that was working on a garbage bag. The coyote immediately takes off. My dog ran him to the edge of his territory. Meanwhile the coyote's partner tries sneaking around to my dog's back. My dog turned, the second coyote put on the brakes and took off. My dog didn't catch him but they didn't come back any time he was around.

I work at a golf course with a lot of environmentally sensitive areas. Lots of wildlife. A massive owl with a huge wingspan. A number of redtail hawks. There is a huge female hawk that has no fear of people. I've been within 10 feet of that hawk. Eventually she just walked into the environmental area. Big family of coyotes, geese, tons of snakes - mostly bull snakes, blue birds, hummingbirds, swallows that swoop right next to the cart trying to pick up insects the cart kicks up. One time on the first tee a guy cracked a low liner. The ball was about six inches off the ground and it hit a magpie 50 yards in front of the tee dead in the head. Killed him instantly.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #44
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I live across the street from a reservoir which is home to about a million geese, a herd of coyotes, rabbits, rodents - the usual coyote meals. Our garbage pick-up is on Tuesday, but a lot of people put their garbage out Monday night, which often brings coyotes over.

I had a 100 pound labrador at the time. English lab, shorter legs than the American lab, heavier and a shorter muzzle. Very muscular. One night he sat by the door like he had to go out. As soon as I open the door the dog bolts for one of the coyotes that was working on a garbage bag. The coyote immediately takes off. My dog ran him to the edge of his territory. Meanwhile the coyote's partner tries sneaking around to my dog's back. My dog turned, the second coyote put on the brakes and took off. My dog didn't catch him but they didn't come back any time he was around.

I work at a golf course with a lot of environmentally sensitive areas. Lots of wildlife. A massive owl with a huge wingspan. A number of redtail hawks. There is a huge female hawk that has no fear of people. I've been within 10 feet of that hawk. Eventually she just walked into the environmental area. Big family of coyotes, geese, tons of snakes - mostly bull snakes, blue birds, hummingbirds, swallows that swoop right next to the cart trying to pick up insects the cart kicks up. One time on the first tee a guy cracked a low liner. The ball was about six inches off the ground and it hit a magpie 50 yards in front of the tee dead in the head. Killed him instantly.
awesome place to live. golfing at Bully Pulpit in the badlands here in ND is amazing. They won't let you go into the second cutting of rough because of the rattle snakes.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #45
Valuist

I would've thought North Dakota was too cold for rattlesnakes. Apparently not.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: