Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #16
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Did anyone report the 'rancher' for animal cruelty? Disgusting stuff!! Send him the article that you posted.
At the time all I wanted to do was get these two female greyhounds out to safety. They and the boy greyhounds that I left behind had winter coats from the cold where they were kept outside. It wasn't a full coat, just patchy. Attached is a picture of one of the girls on her way to Phoenix.

Attached Images
File Type: png 20050503Coyote10.png (360.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Augenj; 03-16-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj View Post
I used to rescue greyhounds. One time I was asked by a rancher's daughter in southwestern Kansas to pick up a couple of her dad's coyote chasing greyhounds because in his words, "All they do is just eat". I hauled them off to a Phoenix greyhound adoption group. Whether true or not, it was explained to me that the rancher drives along in a pickup truck with a "drop box" in the back. When he spots a coyote, he drops the trap door on the box and the greyhounds hit the ground tumbling, get up and chase down the coyote. His daughter says that they are sometimes doing 35 mph when they get dropped. Then he sends in a "kill dog" to dispatch the coyote when they corner him. Pretty brutal.
Something similar is done with hogs where you have chase dogs and tie up dogs. Usually a couple hounds for the first and a Dane or Dogo Argentina for the tie up.

I don't understand the necessity to drop them from a moving truck though.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #18
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Something similar is done with hogs where you have chase dogs and tie up dogs. Usually a couple hounds for the first and a Dane or Dogo Argentina for the tie up.

I don't understand the necessity to drop them from a moving truck though.
I don't either but she insisted they did it this way. Seems like you'd injure a lot of dogs that way although greyhounds sometimes tumble on the track at 35 to 45 mph. I think the rancher must have gotten these from the Colorado tracks when they were open.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #19
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I don't either but she insisted they did it this way. Seems like you'd injure a lot of dogs that way although greyhounds sometimes tumble on the track at 35 to 45 mph. I think the rancher must have gotten these from the Colorado tracks when they were open.
I know some people dump hounds on coyotes and they use radio collars to intercept them at crossings where they have a shooter ready.

A greyhound on its own though is no match for an adult so its always done in packs and even then a greyhound isn't ideal. You would want a dog that can run with them and hold their own if they have to.

My AKC/UKC and Timed Hunt champ lab has no problem with the latter but even he would want no part of the former.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #20
MargieRose

Quote:
At the time all I wanted to do was get these two female greyhounds out to safety. They and the boy greyhounds that I left behind had winter coats from the cold where they were kept outside. It wasn't a full coat, just patchy. Attached is a picture of one of the girls on her way to Phoenix.
Animal caring and rescue is commendable.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 01:22 AM   #21
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I know some people dump hounds on coyotes and they use radio collars to intercept them at crossings where they have a shooter ready.

A greyhound on its own though is no match for an adult so its always done in packs and even then a greyhound isn't ideal. You would want a dog that can run with them and hold their own if they have to.

My AKC/UKC and Timed Hunt champ lab has no problem with the latter but even he would want no part of the former.
More disheartening stuff, and you're not even a hardened rancher.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
chadk66

Quote:
I used to rescue greyhounds. One time I was asked by a rancher's daughter in southwestern Kansas to pick up a couple of her dad's coyote chasing greyhounds because in his words, "All they do is just eat". I hauled them off to a Phoenix greyhound adoption group. Whether true or not, it was explained to me that the rancher drives along in a pickup truck with a "drop box" in the back. When he spots a coyote, he drops the trap door on the box and the greyhounds hit the ground tumbling, get up and chase down the coyote. His daughter says that they are sometimes doing 35 mph when they get dropped. Then he sends in a "kill dog" to dispatch the coyote when they corner him. Pretty brutal.
I have no idea if that’s true or not. I’ve never heard of that before. But people use dogs for hunting mountain lions and raccoons up here all the time
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
chadk66

Quote:
So, I guess the ranchers would prefer to have the rodents around there? I get the impression that these same ranchers probably get off on dog fights, too!
We don’t have rodents up here. What few we do they poison or shoot with a .22 cal rifle. Hawks take care of 90# of them anyway. Coyotes are hell on new born calves. It’s these ranchers livelihood they aim to protect
Old 03-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #24
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
We don’t have rodents up here. What few we do they poison or shoot with a .22 cal rifle. Hawks take care of 90# of them anyway. Coyotes are hell on new born calves. It’s these ranchers livelihood they aim to protect
Do they surround and attack? or just eat the dead ones and ranchers see the results?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #25
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Do they surround and attack? or just eat the dead ones and ranchers see the results?
If they’re in a pack they do but a single coyote can single handedly take a calf with ease. Sheep are even easier. It’s a huge deal. It’s why there is a bad situation going on out west where they introduced wolves again.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #26
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
It sounds like the ranchers are turning the 'kill' games into a sport of some sort...that's terrible. There are more humane ways of controlling animal populations for the sake of their livelihood.

In other areas, 'ranchers' express disdain for the wild horse population, and they aren't killing any of the cattle...they're just eating too much grass, which just happens to be on 'public' land, but round them up and send them to slaughter.

Am getting a very sorry impression of 'ranchers.'
Old 03-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #27
davew

Quote:
It sounds like the ranchers are turning the 'kill' games into a sport of some sort...that's terrible. There are more humane ways of controlling animal populations for the sake of their livelihood.

In other areas, 'ranchers' express disdain for the wild horse population, and they aren't killing any of the cattle...they're just eating too much grass, which just happens to be on 'public' land, but round them up and send them to slaughter.

I am curious about the more humane coyote control methods ... please explain.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #28
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I am curious about the more humane coyote control methods ... please explain.
Instead of shooting them dead with bullets, DART the females with doses of BIRTH CONTROL. Where it's been tried, it's been successful with wild horses.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #29
chadk66

Quote:

ranchers can’t round up wild horses on public land and send them to slaughter. My wife works for the national park service. Every few years at Theodore Roosevelt Nat. Park they round up some wild horses and auction them to people. And they’re not kill buyers. They go to good homes and are domesticated and do very well. It’s the same on all nat. Parks with wild horses.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #30
chadk66

Quote:
Instead of shooting them dead with bullets, DART the females with doses of BIRTH CONTROL. Where it's been tried, it's been successful with wild horses.
you might be able to do that in some places but not here. Far too wide open of country. And doing that doesn’t help today. You can’t get close enough to them here to dart em. And who is gonna pay for it. Tax payers aren’t. Actually coyote hide is worth pretty good money right now. Some new craze with using coyote fur for something now. Can’t recall what it is off the top of my head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: