Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #46
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Yeah, you do because you are so duplicitous, as you have just proved again.
Ad hominem attack! Also violates #4,9 & 12 of the TOS.
Quote:
Again, Jesus' existence is accepted by most scholars in this world.
Argumentum ad populum! I.e., appeal to the people. If enough people believe it, it must be true.
Quote:
Some eyewitnesses to his life, death, burial and resurrection actually wrote parts of the NT -- John and Peter. Luke traveled with Paul and had the eyewitness accounts of the apostles Paul met with -- plus other eyewitnesses. Paul also saw the risen Christ and he wrote at least seven epistles. It is also very likely that Matthew is the Jewish tax collector Levi who came to faith in Jesus. (It was very common in the ANE for a person to have two first names!) Mark was very good friends with Peter and undoubtedly drew very much of his material from the apostle, etc.

In short, Jesus' existence is extremely well attested to. It is no wonder that no ancient writer or historian ever disputed his existence. Not even the Christ-hating Jews in the Babylonian Talmud denied his existence. And if anyone didn't want Jesus to exist, it would have been them!
As you are fond of saying, "We've been down this road before." The question of the moment is whether the alleged resurrection is the most attested event in ancient history. It's an outlandish claim and as the claimant the burden of proof is on you.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #47
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Ad hominem attack! Also violates #4,9 & 12 of the TOS.
Argumentum ad populum! I.e., appeal to the people. If enough people believe it, it must be true.
As you are fond of saying, "We've been down this road before." The question of the moment is whether the alleged resurrection is the most attested event in ancient history. It's an outlandish claim and as the claimant the burden of proof is on you.
Oh, it is indeed. The resurrected Christ was seen by four (4) NT writers (not 3 as previously stated). Peter, John and Paul. Then there is James who wrote James. Granted, scholars aren't certain which James is it is: Is it one of the original apostles or is it Jesus' brother James who converted after he saw his resurrected brother? In either case...all the above were certainly contemporary with Jesus. Then you toss in Mark who received much of his material from Peter. And Luke saw all the apostles (or certainly most of them) and traveled with Paul. So, Luke got much of his information from them, as well as being eyewitness to many if not most of the miracles Paul performed, etc., etc. We couple all these facts with the consistency of all the different resurrection accounts, the transformed lives, the thousands who converted to Christ through gospel preaching etc., and the resurrection is the logical inference to the best explanation.

Have a nice night, sir.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #48
thaskalos

Quote:
Oh, it is indeed. The resurrected Christ was seen by four (4) NT writers (not 3 as previously stated). Peter, John and Paul. Then there is James who wrote James. Granted, scholars aren't certain which James is it is: Is it one of the original apostles or is it Jesus' brother James who converted after he saw his resurrected brother? In either case...all the above were certainly contemporary with Jesus. Then you toss in Mark who received much of his material from Peter. And Luke saw all the apostles (or certainly most of them) and traveled with Paul. So, Luke got much of his information from them, as well as being eyewitness to many if not most of the miracles Paul performed, etc., etc. We couple all these facts with the consistency of all the different resurrection accounts, the transformed lives, the thousands who converted to Christ through gospel preaching etc., and the resurrection is the logical inference to the best explanation.

Have a nice night, sir.
"Resurrection", and "logical"...used in the same sentence...without speaking in jest. If this is what "faith" is...then I want no part of it.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #49
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"Resurrection", and "logical"...used in the same sentence...without speaking in jest. If this is what "faith" is...then I want no part of it.
Right. You'd much prefer to stick with your irrational blind doubts.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
Right. You'd much prefer to stick with your irrational blind doubts.
If I believe that a man actually resurrected himself from the dead, then...could I ever doubt ANYTHING in life?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #51
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus

There is a possibility that Josephus aided members of the Flavian dynasty to concoct a new religious narrative in the attempt to transform rebellious Jews into subservient taxpayers.....and the new narrative worked as many Jews converted....Josephus fully defected to the Roman side.

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 02-21-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #52
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If I believe that a man actually resurrected himself from the dead, then...could I ever doubt ANYTHING in life?
I doubt it, paradoxically...
Old 02-22-2017, 03:34 AM   #53
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Oh, it is indeed. The resurrected Christ was seen by four (4) NT writers (not 3 as previously stated).
And Snow White lived for years with seven horny guys, remained a virgin, and was resurrected by love's first kiss.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #54
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth by JGJackson

http://www.nbufront.org/MastersMuseu...MythPart3.html
Old 02-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #55
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I dedicate this thread to all skeptics -- Actor, Hcap, Thaskalos, Vig, etc. This is the place to come to learn about true religion and the one true God.
Am I first in the list because you think I'm the most skeptical? Or is it just in alphabetical order?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #56
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

For a brief synopsis of the psychological unpinnings of the rabidly regilious mindset see page 503 of the following document:

https://archive.org/stream/MichaelTs.../n503/mode/1up

And the pages that follow page 505 are well worth the time spent here to examine their contents...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 02-22-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #57
TJDave

500 pages???

Can't you just say bat**** crazy and be done with it?
Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #58
boxcar

Quote:
Why don't you?
Because you'd miss me.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #59
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
500 pages???

Can't you just say bat**** crazy and be done with it?
OK, bat......crazy!....but it still is an interesting read....and even with all this, religionists will admit no problems....all is well....in the garden, Chauncey...
Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #60
boxcar

Quote:
Am I first in the list because you think I'm the most skeptical? Or is it just in alphabetical order?
Why do you ask: Are you looking to be awarded with a trophy of participation?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: