Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Grits

Casse removing horses from Delmar

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...t-del-mar-meet

While some are quite pleased Delmar's gone back to dirt. Casse prefers synthetic, particularly Woodbine where he leads the trainer standings.

Obviously, trainers are difficult to please, all of the time.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He better win at Woodbine because synthetic tracks are going the way of the dinosaur. (as many here predicted long ago)
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Grits

Preferring synthetic or not? He's had some bad bad luck with breakdowns this Spring, in his barn. Maybe that's buggin' him, too.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He better win at Woodbine because synthetic tracks are going the way of the dinosaur. (as many here predicted long ago)
I think you're exaggerating sightly. I think they've kind of stabilized. Woodbine is buying a new surface. Turfway isn't changing. Either is PID.

In terms of Golden Gate and Arlington I think both are more likely to go away given the price of real estate prices in Chicago and San Fran than change their surface.

So while they ain't growing I don't think they're shrinking near term.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
ebcorde
Veteran

closers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...t-del-mar-meet

While some are quite pleased Delmar's gone back to dirt. Casse prefers synthetic, particularly Woodbine where he leads the trainer standings.

Obviously, trainers are difficult to please, all of the time.
I'm not keeping track but I'd bet the closers are not doing well this meet. I have not played delmar in 2 weeks, back then I noticed the front half
were winning most of the races. I expect Zayat to bring some Horses back now.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I think you're exaggerating sightly. I think they've kind of stabilized. Woodbine is buying a new surface. Turfway isn't changing. Either is PID.

In terms of Golden Gate and Arlington I think both are more likely to go away given the price of real estate prices in Chicago and San Fran than change their surface.

So while they ain't growing I don't think they're shrinking near term.
I should have been clearer...top level racing it is going the way of the dinosaur. Outside of Woodbine, those other tracks...meh. And even Woodbine's biggest races are turf contests.

Are there any G1 races left on synthetics? I guess the Masters at PID is a G1. It wasn't long ago we had Santa Anita, Hollywood, Del Mar, and Keeneland all running top graded races on synthetics.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
I'm not keeping track but I'd bet the closers are not doing well this meet. I have not played delmar in 2 weeks, back then I noticed the front half
were winning most of the races. I expect Zayat to bring some Horses back now.
Dmr has had one card the entire meet where TimeformUS has the track coded as speed favoring. Five have been coded as favoring off pace types, but four of those were early in the meet. It has been as fair a racetrack as you will find since August rolled around.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Dmr has had one card the entire meet where TimeformUS has the track coded as speed favoring. Five have been coded as favoring off pace types, but four of those were early in the meet. It has been as fair a racetrack as you will find since August rolled around.
It's been the definition of a fair track.

The "hidden" bias is shippers seem to struggle on it. Horses that train at Santa Anita or other places seem at a disadvantage over Del Mar based horses.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2015, 12:58 AM   #9
classhandicapper

I think there should be at least one synthetic track that runs some stakes. There are some horses that are clearly better on synth than they are on either dirt or turf. As long as the surface is safe, can be maintained for a similar cost, and people bet on the races, I don't see much downside in giving those horses a home on it.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:28 AM   #10
dilanesp

The history of synthetic surfaces in every other sport, as well as fatality statistics, suggests that synthetics will have another boom.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

Synthetics are dead. Michael Dickonson is even returning to training because he can't make a living selling the stuff anymore.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
dasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Maybe there have only been a few strong obvious biases which would make you color code the day but the surface most of the time has been anything but fair. The biases pop up all over and there was even an article last Monday in the San Diego Tribune where the track maintenance super said the track is holding moisture in some places and not in others and he doesnt know why.
dasch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply