Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
pandy

Drug Free Racing Is Only Hope

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/08/03/3...hope.html?rh=1
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
AndyC

"The agency would create the Thoroughbred Horseracing Anti-Doping Authority, financed by the industry at no cost to taxpayers....."

Let's see. The tracks don't make money, the horse owners don't make money, so that leaves the players to absorb the cost via higher takeout.

Of course the story line will be that such a change will rejuvenate racing thus enriching everybody allowing for takeout reductions in the future.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

People need to give their heads a shake if they continue to think a specific horse is going to save racing (first couple lines from the linked article laments the same old tired "savior horse" sentiment).

The ONLY thing that will save racing is that people believe you can actually make money betting on the game in the long run. That's the ONLY thing that has kept the game alive...and the ONLY thing that will continue to keep the game alive.

Zenyatta, one of the most popular race horses in a LONG TIME, had NO long term impact on the sport's overall health. American Pharoah's impact will be quite similar, and perhaps even less...at least Zenyatta stuck around for a few years at her prime.

A drug free sport will ONLY have an impact IF it contributes to fostering the notion that the game can be BEATEN...I don't think it's necessary...but it can't hurt.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-03-2015 at 11:18 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Last two posts have it right. None of this drug stuff is stopping people from betting. Short fields and high takeout are the deadly combination that is driving bettors away. I'm all for drug free racing, but it won't revive the sport.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
People need to give their heads a shake if they continue to think a specific horse is going to save racing (first couple lines from the linked article laments the same old tired "savior horse" sentiment).

The ONLY thing that will save racing is that people believe you can actually make money betting on the game in the long run. That's the ONLY thing that has kept the game alive...and the ONLY thing that will continue to keep the game alive.

Zenyatta, one of the most popular race horses in a LONG TIME, had NO long term impact on the sport's overall health. American Pharoah's impact will be quite similar, and perhaps even less...at least Zenyatta stuck around for a few years at her prime.

A drug free sport will ONLY have an impact IF it contributes to fostering the notion that the game can be BEATEN...I don't think it's necessary...but it can't hurt.

Agree on all counts.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The only reason I ever got into the game was because I thought I could make money at it...that it was a puzzle...and if you worked harder and were smarter than the next guy, you could take his money.

That's why people who get into the game and STAY in the game do it...

The publicity of a Zenyatta/American Pharoah WILL garner attention and ATTRACT new folks into the game...no denying that...but the star horse is but a brief flame. A temporary billboard of free advertising.

Low takeout and a perceived fair playing field will do wonders...
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Last two posts have it right. None of this drug stuff is stopping people from betting. Short fields and high takeout are the deadly combination that is driving bettors away. I'm all for drug free racing, but it won't revive the sport.

I agree that the takeout is the most important but I'm not sure that drug free racing wouldn't help. Right now there simply aren't enough owners. If you had strict drug rules like they have in Japan, and no lasix, it would be an even playing field which could entice more owners.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
pandy

Quote:
The only reason I ever got into the game was because I thought I could make money at it...that it was a puzzle...and if you worked harder and were smarter than the next guy, you could take his money.

The publicity of a Zenyatta/American Pharoah WILL garner attention and ATTRACT new folks into the game...no denying that...but the star horse is but a brief flame. A temporary billboard of free advertising.

I agree. I've always thought that this idea that a great horse will save the game is ridiculous. As you said, Zenyatta raced until she was 7 and yes she was very popular and probably did create some fans, but not enough to make a major impact.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Grits

Quote:

You'll make far more money, long term, in the market.

Of this, I'm sure.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
You'll make far more money, long term, in the market.

Of this, I'm sure.
Only because there is far more money for the taking...
Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I agree that the takeout is the most important but I'm not sure that drug free racing wouldn't help. Right now there simply aren't enough owners. If you had strict drug rules like they have in Japan, and no lasix, it would be an even playing field which could entice more owners.
Most owners now are scared to death of a Lasix ban.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I agree. I've always thought that this idea that a great horse will save the game is ridiculous. As you said, Zenyatta raced until she was 7 and yes she was very popular and probably did create some fans, but not enough to make a major impact.
She was 6, everyone's always exaggerating Zenyatta!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
JimG

The only real hope or horse racing long term is for track management, horse owners, trainers, etc. to recognize that the gambler is their customer. Then ask the customer what it wants, and try to deliver if it makes sense.

These different factions are a stubborn and self-serving bunch so I do not look for it to happen.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Agree, Jim.
Racing has no clue who the customer is.
I doubt they ever will.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
She was 6, everyone's always exaggerating Zenyatta!
I think she caused more harm than good because you have all these super fans some of whom do not know what they are talking about supporting her then they pick fights. I said on one post she was West Coast synthetic runner who ran in sheltered races. WOW! The amount of people who said she would have won if not for this or that, and I should shut up and die. She is a better horse than Secretariat, Man O' War, Blah Blah Blah
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply