Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
RacingFan1992

Worlds Best Horse

Kind of amazing that 7 of the top 30 horses in Worlds Best Race Horse are dirt.

2) American Pharoah
4) Shared Belief
14) Firing Line
18) California Chrome
22) Prince Bishop (Ire)
24) Dortmund
26) Honor Code

All but one of those is from the U.S. and only two horses in the Grass category were from the U.S.

My prediction is Honor Code wins the Whitney Handicap and goes for the Breeders' Cup where he beats American Pharoah and California Chrome. I think HC will have wings on if he runs a good race at Keeneland. Yes I know this is coming from "the Jackass who said HC was going to win the TC and Travers" Best of Luck to HC.

Last edited by RacingFan1992; 07-09-2015 at 04:35 PM.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Honor Code is a great horse, but he has to prove that he can get 10 furlongs against a quality field like what he'll see in the BC Classic.

His Met Mile was amazing, but you still have to have some questions about him...., right?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Honor Code is a great horse, but he has to prove that he can get 10 furlongs against a quality field like what he'll see in the BC Classic.

His Met Mile was amazing, but you still have to have some questions about him...., right?
IF Honor Code is a great horse then what would you call American Pharoah?Great gets tossed around too much
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash$
IF Honor Code is a great horse then what would you call American Pharoah?Great gets tossed around too much
AP will be yesterdays news when HC gets done with him. lol. Only time will tell.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Well, I guess we need to qualify a great horse.

To me, a great horse is a horse that wins multiple G1 and G2 races. There simply aren't that many that can do that amid thousands and thousands of horses that run every year. They are the 1%. I think if a horse is in the 1% I can consider them great.

I see 2 more levels above "great" however. There is Elite, and then there are the absolutely Best of the Best. Elite horses are such animals as Wise Dan, Curlin, Invasor, Tiznow, etc. And then the Best of the Best you get into Secretariat, Kelso, etc..

I think Honor Code qualifies as a great horse. He may even be able to become elite with some more quality G1 wins, a BC Classic, and likely a bit more.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 07-09-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Well, I guess we need to qualify a great horse.

To me, a great horse is a horse that wins multiple G1 and G2 races. There simply aren't that many that can do that amid thousands and thousands of horses that run every year. They are the 1%. I think if a horse is in the 1% I can consider them great.

I see 2 more levels above "great" however. There is Elite, and then there are the absolutely Best of the Best. Elite horses are such animals as Wise Dan, Curlin, Invasor, Tiznow, etc. And then the Best of the Best you get into Secretariat, Kelso, etc..

I think Honor Code qualifies as a great horse. He may even be able to become elite with some more quality G1 wins, a BC Classic, and likely a bit more.
HC is a notch below great.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
HC is a notch below great.
He has 5 wins and 2 seconds in 8 career starts.

Among those 5 wins are a G1 and two G2 victories with another Place in a G1 event.

He has defeated Tonalist, Private Zone (twice), Wicked Strong (twice), and BC Classic Champion Bayern.

You really don't consider that a great horse? For most trainers and owners in the business, that is a once in a lifetime thoroughbred.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
He has 5 wins and 2 seconds in 8 career starts.

Among those 5 wins are a G1 and two G2 victories with another Place in a G1 event.

He has defeated Tonalist, Private Zone (twice), Wicked Strong (twice), and BC Classic Champion Bayern.

You really don't consider that a great horse? For most trainers and owners in the business, that is a once in a lifetime thoroughbred.
Bayern,Wicked Strong both winless this year.HC needs one turn mile and a fast pace.Nope dont think hes great.

My question to you..if HC is great then what would AP be considered?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Bayern,Wicked Strong both winless this year.HC needs one turn mile and a fast pace.Nope dont think hes great.

My question to you..if HC is great then what would AP be considered?
AP is Elite.

He is one of 12 horses in the history of American horse racing to win the Triple Crown and the first in 37 years to complete the feat. That is an Elite horse in my opinion.

Will he be one of the Best of the Best? We shall see as this year rolls on. A couple more G1 victories and a BC Classic win would surely put him in contention for that kind of category I would believe.

Do I think he'll do it? No. But he definitely has a shot if he stays healthy.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
AP is Elite.

He is one of 12 horses in the history of American horse racing to win the Triple Crown and the first in 37 years to complete the feat. That is an Elite horse in my opinion.

Will he be one of the Best of the Best? We shall see as this year rolls on. A couple more G1 victories and a BC Classic win would surely put him in contention for that kind of category I would believe.

Because you have a great career doesnt make you a great horse
Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Because you have a great career doesnt make you a great horse
Obviously your qualifications are a bit higher than mine when you are considering a "great" horse.

As I stated earlier, if we are talking about the top 1% of horses, I consider them great without any other needed qualifier.

You have a different measure than mine.

What is your qualification(s) for a great thoroughbred? I'm thinking your great is my elite.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
Some_One

Quote:
AP is Elite.

Well you're going to have a bit of the Zenyatta effect where one race will attempt to validate an entire career as AP will be lucky to face more then 5 horses in his next two races combined. So the BC Classic will be his real only test in his career.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
Kash$
Veteran

Extraordinary
examples..
Big Red
Frankel
Spectacular Bid
Affirmed,
just to name a few

Great
Sunday Silence
Easy Goer
Seattle Slew
Ruffian
Cigar
Zenyatta
Rachel Alexandra
Risen Star
Manila
just to name a few..
Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_One
Well you're going to have a bit of the Zenyatta effect where one race will attempt to validate an entire career as AP will be lucky to face more then 5 horses in his next two races combined. So the BC Classic will be his real only test in his career.
Wait a second,

His only real test will be the BC?..Before the derby this was strong 3 year old crop,all of a suddden the crop is weak because he wins the triple crown..

Have you seen the older division
Califrnia Chrome..lol
Shared Belief is out for the year.
If he wins the Classic what will be the excuse then?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
Kash$
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_One
Zenyatta's BC win over the colts didnt validate her career?