Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #61
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
If a race doesn't draw a field in line with where my strengths lie then I pass the race.
THIS! THIS! THIS!

I am a massive believer in not only handicapping the horses, but HANDICAPPING THE RACE before you ever get to the horses.

Finding races that fit what you are trying to accomplish is probably the BIGGEST KEY to profit IMO.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #62
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
THIS! THIS! THIS!

I am a massive believer in not only handicapping the horses, but HANDICAPPING THE RACE before you ever get to the horses.

Finding races that fit what you are trying to accomplish is probably the BIGGEST KEY to profit IMO.

right on
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #63
Hapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
Yes Vic, making the CORRECT BET speaks volumes to me. How many times does our handicapping prove valid and true but somehow we end up betting into the wrong pool. You have to maximize profits in this game when you can. Like they say in golf, "Drive for show and putt for dough $$$$"
Coming from someone still relatively new to the game (few years) how do you guys learn to make better bets?

My biggest frustration is that I often seem to have handicapped fairly well and have a good sense of who will be there but then end up messing up my betting in the end.
Hapman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 12:12 AM   #64
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapman View Post
Coming from someone still relatively new to the game (few years) how do you guys learn to make better bets?

My biggest frustration is that I often seem to have handicapped fairly well and have a good sense of who will be there but then end up messing up my betting in the end.
Bet your actual opinion.

For instance, if you have a good idea who the winner is but have no earthly idea who will finish 2nd, you shouldn't be in the exacta pool, at least absent some major overlay.

If you think a favorite is going to win but is too short a price, don't start looking for longshots just because you don't want to pass the race.

Don't click the all box in a vertical.

Etc.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #65
Hapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

If you think a favorite is going to win but is too short a price, don't start looking for longshots just because you don't want to pass the race.

Thanks, you're so right, especially here is where I think I always get myself into trouble.
Hapman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #66
coachv30

Bass Fishing works for me
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #67
chiguy

Bet the #1 horse at half-mile harness tracks for a week.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #68
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
My ROI is higher annually when I take breaks in a slump and I am selective about what I play. If a race doesn't draw a field in line with where my strengths lie then I pass the race. If I "Lukas" myself into running through a slump I generally lose way more than I would otherwise. I'm a low-roller. This is how I play for value and I've been funding an IRA with my winnings.
What I meant by that is I don't believe in shutting down the search for good bets. Just walking away.

One never knows, sometimes literally until a few minutes before post, when a must play will present itself.

A bet made three days after a bad run or three months after is still only the next bet you're making. It's either proper and excellent or it's not.

The horses and the situation have no idea when your last bet was.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #69
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapman View Post

Handicapping is part of it. But not the be all end all. If you feel you're seeing value with a singular horse there's nothing wrong with living in the win pool and never considering anything else.

It's the cheapest bet there is. It helps you avoid long losing streaks. And it can allow you to stick with a standard bet amount which should NEVER be more than 4% of your overall bankroll.

It's impossible to go broke making a profit.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 AM   #70
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Handicapping is part of it. But not the be all end all. If you feel you're seeing value with a singular horse there's nothing wrong with living in the win pool and never considering anything else.

It's the cheapest bet there is. It helps you avoid long losing streaks. And it can allow you to stick with a standard bet amount which should NEVER be more than 4% of your overall bankroll.

It's impossible to go broke making a profit.
Good post...Yet still puzzling...if my bankroll is $100, then my max bet will be $4....which doesn’t seem like enough dough to make any traction capital-wise.....
....so I’m thinking a bankroll of $1000 so that my max bet is $40 per bet...otherwise, what’s the point...? Because it is too little money either won or lost to amount to anything....you can’t pay any bills betting $4 a race for 3 or 4 races a card....then again, you won’t lose your shirt either...but small fry winnings amounts to chump change doesn’t it, I mean after paying out other expenses and the rake on top of it...what do you think the average bankroll of a PA poster really is, for that 4% max bet kicking in....? Like to see this made a POLL Question: What is your average bankroll/ average 4% bet in real life betting....?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #71
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Good post...Yet still puzzling...if my bankroll is $100, then my max bet will be $4....which doesn’t seem like enough dough to make any traction capital-wise.....
....so I’m thinking a bankroll of $1000 so that my max bet is $40 per bet...otherwise, what’s the point...? Because it is too little money either won or lost to amount to anything....you can’t pay any bills betting $4 a race for 3 or 4 races a card....then again, you won’t lose your shirt either...but small fry winnings amounts to chump change doesn’t it, I mean after paying out other expenses and the rake on top of it...what do you think the average bankroll of a PA poster really is, for that 4% max bet kicking in....? Like to see this made a POLL Question: What is your average bankroll/ average 4% bet in real life betting....?
Sometimes theory and reality aren't the same thing. If your bankroll is $100 you're "ONLY" playing for fun and action. If your stack is $1000 then yes a $40 bet is correct and not at all a small wager.

You must look at the long run and not only hope but expect to increase the base and therefore the average bet.

Double up over time and now you're betting $80 a race which I guarantee puts you in the top 10% of largest players. If you're playing two circuits and betting 1/3 of the races that's 6 plays or just under $500 a day which makes you a professional horse player.

Unless it's a tournament I rarely bet more than $300 a race.

You must have the discipline to never expose yourself by chasing or tilting. And more importantly YOU MUST keep your bankroll in a position to weather long slumps and not panic during them.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:52 AM   #72
thaskalos

When I see a player betting 4% of his bankroll on a single play...then I hope, for his sake, that his bankroll is readily replaceable in the event that it is lost. Otherwise...a much greater degree of safety is recommended...IMO. This is a game where losing streaks are the rule rather than the exception...and the 4% betting unit depletes the bankroll at a rate that can frazzle the player's nerves, to the point where it may become impossible to play the game with the confidence that it demands.

The bigger the bankroll is, the harder it is to replace it...and the more necessary it becomes to treat it with the respect that it deserves. Underbetting our bankroll may not be as "adventurous" as we would like, but it allows us to function with our sanity intact...whereas OVERBETTING our bankroll is FATAL...for bankroll and sanity alike.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-12-2018 at 02:53 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 02:56 AM   #73
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
When I see a player betting 4% of his bankroll on a single play...then I hope, for his sake, that his bankroll is readily replaceable in the event that it is lost. Otherwise...a much greater degree of safety is recommended...IMO. This is a game where losing streaks are the rule rather than the exception...and the 4% betting unit depletes the bankroll at a rate that can frazzle the player's nerves, to the point where it may become impossible to play the game with the confidence that it demands.

The bigger the bankroll is, the harder it is to replace...and the more necessary it becomes to treat it with the respect that it deserves. Underbetting our bankroll may not be as "adventurous" as we would like, but it allows us to function with our sanity intact...whereas OVERBETTING our bankroll is FATAL...for bankroll and sanity alike.
I like this entire post.

Totally agree with the final sentence. That's why at 4% it's probably best to stay in the win pool.

As to sizing you're 100% correct. IT IS NOT a small bet at all.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #74
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
If all you can manage is a $100 bankroll to start with, then you must initially satisfy yourself with the meager profits that such a bankroll can generate. The only universal truth that I have ever discovered in this game is this: "If you can't win with a $100 bankroll...then you won't be able to win with a $10,000 bankroll either". Start with a small bankroll, and see if you can grow it over time...while paying for your racetrack expenses out of your other pocket. And the betting unit grows in accordance with the growing bankroll. Yes, growing the bankroll in such a manner will be a slow endeavor which will grate on your nerves. But the process will infuse you with a sense of confidence which will be INDISPENSABLE when those inescapable losing streaks come around. The player has to EARN the right to make large wagers...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-12-2018 at 03:27 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #75
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If all you can manage is a $100 bankroll to start with, then you must initially satisfy yourself with the meager profits that such a bankroll can generate. The only universal truth that I have ever discovered in this game is this: "If you can't win with a $100 bankroll...then you won't be able to win with a $10,000 bankroll either". Start with a small bankroll, and see if you can grow it over time...while paying for your racetrack expenses out of your other pocket. And the betting unit grows in accordance with the growing bankroll. Yes, growing the bankroll in such a manner will be a slow endeavor which will grate on your nerves. But the process will infuse you with a sense of confidence which will be INDISPENSABLE when those inescapable losing streaks come around. The player has to EARN the right to make large wagers...IMO.
Another excellent post