Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #61
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I had one guy, young farm manager at the time, maybe 20's, get kicked by this weanling maybe approaching yearling.

He didnt punch him, he kicked him in the belly/balls a few times.

He now is head of one of the larger farms in Ky. I was very young and new to the game, I thought it was rough but the other guys who were more generational just kinda took it as it is what it is.

I will say, seemed to me they were a bit rougher on the farms than on the tracks.

Though I can recall a incident similar at the Keeneland July sales (they used to have that) where a horse got real stupid walking and man, they let that horse have it when he got back to the stall.

I dont agree with any of it, just my personal experience. You can call me a liar, dont really care.
Yup...this definitely isn't a sport for the squeamish.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #62
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Has it been proven that the possibility of a life-threatening starting-gate accident LESSENS if the starting-crew member punches the restless horse a few times on the side of the head?
It is believed that assistant starters with 20 years experience who are respected and appreciated by jockey's & horsemen LESSENS the danger of catastrophic injuries.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #63
v j stauffer

Quote:
As I said before...it makes me shake my head at the thought of what other "schooling techniques" the owners and the trainers of these horses have 'no problem with'...away from the camera's prying eye. Clearly...this is no sport for the squeamish.
I've been around gate schooling hundreds of times. These sessions can often times be even more dangerous than the starts in the afternoon.

In my 45 years of observing this work I have NEVER witnessed animal abuse in any shape form or manner.

I have seen multiple instances and examples of just how dangerous "schooling" can be in the form of horrible injuries to horses, exercise riders and assistants.

However the work goes on so the bettors can be afforded the cleanest and fairest possible starts to the races in the afternoon.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #64
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I've been around gate schooling hundreds of times. These sessions can often times be even more dangerous than the starts in the afternoon.

In my 45 years of observing this work I have NEVER witnessed animal abuse in any shape form or manner.

I have seen multiple instances and examples of just how dangerous "schooling" can be in the form of horrible injuries to horses, exercise riders and assistants.

However the work goes on so the bettors can be afforded the cleanest and fairest possible starts to the races in the afternoon.
Off topic so apologies in advance, but sure seems like in 2018 we could develop a safer starting gate than the current model.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #65
thaskalos

Quote:

I believe you...but after reading post #60 of this thread, am I forgiven for getting a little queasy in the stomach area? Look...I've been a horseplayer for almost as long as you've been...and I have no delusions about the "realities" of the sport, in front or BEHIND the scenes. It's a cruel sport...and these horses are bred solely as "money-making mechanisms". But when we see a sorry spectacle such as this one here, the stark reality of the game slaps us right in the face...and a sour taste forms in our mouth. How could it be otherwise?

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-28-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #66
v j stauffer

Quote:
I believe you...but after reading post #60 of this thread, am I forgiven for getting a little queasy in the stomach area? Look...I've been a horseplayer for almost as long as you've been...and I have no delusions about the "realities" of the sport, in front or BEHIND the scenes. It's a cruel sport...and these horses are bred solely as a "money-making mechanisms". But when we see a sorry spectacle such as this, the stark reality of the game slaps us right in the face...and a sour taste forms in our mouth. How could it be otherwise?
I've NEVER seen a horse that was being broke kicked in the balls. It would take a very foolish version of Bruce Lee to attempt such a thing. It could also prove to be very damaging to a young horse that's supposedly being readied for a career at the races.

The great preponderance of people who work with race horse's do so because of a love of the animal. It certainly isn't for glory or monetary gain.

Are there people who cross the line and mistreat the animals? Yes. It happens. But the backstretch has a very strong ethic of self policing and those miscreants are always weeded out very quickly.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #67
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Off topic so apologies in advance, but sure seems like in 2018 we could develop a safer starting gate than the current model.
I know it's been on the mind of racing administrators for quite some time. Absent some sort of additional padding, which has been looked into, I don't see what could be done.

The starting gate is and unfortunately will always be extremely dangerous.

Talented people work on schooling every day.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #68
thaskalos

Quote:
I've NEVER seen a horse that was being broke kicked in the balls. It would take a very foolish version of Bruce Lee to attempt such a thing. It could also prove to be very damaging to a young horse that's supposedly being readied for a career at the races.

The great preponderance of people who work with race horse's do so because of a love of the animal. It certainly isn't for glory or monetary gain.

Are there people who cross the line and mistreat the animals? Yes. It happens. But the backstretch has a very strong ethic of self policing and those miscreants are always weeded out very quickly.
That's nice to hear...because we horseplayers have a love for these animals too. WE haven't come to this game strictly for the "monetary gain" either.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #69
v j stauffer

Quote:
That's nice to hear...because we horseplayers have a love for these animals too. WE haven't come to this game strictly for the "monetary gain" either.
Of course
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #70
v j stauffer

Quote:
I prove everyday I'm not in it for monetary gain.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #71
chiguy

There is a different style which I had seen on some racing from NZ. I guess the jocks there are saying they are not better. They are an old style from what this article states. I would think the top half of the gate could be made of something other than steel. Today's starting gates look dangerous before you put a horse in them.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing...avondale-again
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #72
thaskalos

Quote:
I prove everyday I'm not in it for monetary gain.
You and I both.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #73
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I believe you...but after reading post #60 of this thread, am I forgiven for getting a little queasy in the stomach area? Look...I've been a horseplayer for almost as long as you've been...and I have no delusions about the "realities" of the sport, in front or BEHIND the scenes. It's a cruel sport...and these horses are bred solely as "money-making mechanisms". But when we see a sorry spectacle such as this one here, the stark reality of the game slaps us right in the face...and a sour taste forms in our mouth. How could it be otherwise?
Respectfully, I think you’re not grasping the reality of dealing with horses. Particularly high-strung horses. What you might look at as shocking may ultimately save that horse’s life. Not just human’s lives, but the horse’s.

If the horse is not taught to respect humans, that they are subservient to them, the horse can very easily become dangerous. The dangerous horse becomes a truly mistreated horse, or one that ends up with a bad fate.

A horse turns its rear to you when you walk in the stall. You better smack that ass and get him turned around instead of allowing an aggressive action that was precipitating a kick that could kill you.

A horse doesn’t respect your space and will walk over you. You better push that horse off you, or even carry a crop or something to ward him off until he understands to respect your space.

There are plenty of times where man-handling a horse is entirely appropriate and ultimately teaches the horse manners and makes him and the humans around him safe. You know abuse when you see it, but it’s difficult to qualify abuse in words unless you are talking extremes. No one advises hitting a horse in the face yet probably everyone has popped the nose of a horse who bit them.

What no one in this thread has pointed out is that this horse nearly pulled the assistant down on his head, then almost bucked the rider off. A few hard jerks on the halter is probably the normal reaction. This guy lost his cool with the horse and struck him open-handed 4 times on the side of his face. No one who deals with horses wouldn’t acknowledge that he lost his cool, but they also would understand it and not think it deserving of losing a job he’s apparently done well at for many years.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:05 AM   #74
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Respectfully, I think you’re not grasping the reality of dealing with horses. Particularly high-strung horses. What you might look at as shocking may ultimately save that horse’s life. Not just human’s lives, but the horse’s.

If the horse is not taught to respect humans, that they are subservient to them, the horse can very easily become dangerous. The dangerous horse becomes a truly mistreated horse, or one that ends up with a bad fate.

A horse turns its rear to you when you walk in the stall. You better smack that ass and get him turned around instead of allowing an aggressive action that was precipitating a kick that could kill you.

A horse doesn’t respect your space and will walk over you. You better push that horse off you, or even carry a crop or something to ward him off until he understands to respect your space.

There are plenty of times where man-handling a horse is entirely appropriate and ultimately teaches the horse manners and makes him and the humans around him safe. You know abuse when you see it, but it’s difficult to qualify abuse in words unless you are talking extremes. No one advises hitting a horse in the face yet probably everyone has popped the nose of a horse who bit them.

What no one in this thread has pointed out is that this horse nearly pulled the assistant down on his head, then almost bucked the rider off. A few hard jerks on the halter is probably the normal reaction. This guy lost his cool with the horse and struck him open-handed 4 times on the side of his face. No one who deals with horses wouldn’t acknowledge that he lost his cool, but they also would understand it and not think it deserving of losing a job he’s apparently done well at for many years.
BRILLIANT POST
Old 06-29-2018, 12:16 AM   #75
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hey, then why not GO ALL THE WAY.

Bring a pistol into the starting gate and blow the ****ing horse's brains out if it acts up.

After all, it's dangerous in there.

Are you people for ****ing real?

Someone should forward that video to PETA.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: