Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #16
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ull-dead-at-26

I have dreaded this day for a long time.
Just read this on Bloodhorse.com....
one buy one the greats are leaving us.
RIP....
It's good to see that Holy Bull will be buried at the place he last called home.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sorry, PA.
I know he was your 'baby!"

Tough day.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Mike, I'm so sorry that you lost your favorite fella of all time. He truly was an incredible race horse. And I know how much you loved him.

If you can, please, will you post his photo that I took. (I can't find it.) Not for you, not for anyone here, but for me. My hours with him made for one of the most pleasant, quietly gentle afternoons I've ever spent. All of this from a remarkable stallion. I was so in awe of his class.

Godspeed, Holy Bull. Rest in eternal peace, you dear champion.
Here is the photo I think you're talking about:

It's a picture of a picture, so I apologize that this is the best quality I could get...it's a good one though and I have it displayed prominently and proudly!

THANK YOU!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2017, 01:30 AM   #19
iceknight

My condolences. Holy Bull was dear to many on this board and esp to Mike (PA). He gave (gives) me immense joy and motivation even though I heard of him only in 2010. The heart of a champion has gone quiet but his spirit will live on. Rest in peace big Fella.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #20
Grits

A stunning animal. Thank you, Mike. <3 RIP, HB.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #21
RacingFan1992

No Native Dancer or Nasrullah in his veins and his son Giacomo became the only horse in this century to win a Triple Crown race with no Native Dancer bloodlines. Holy Bull is and will always be a true genetic gem.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #22
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Me too, formula; me too.

I was already living in Pennsylvania 2-3 years when the 1994 Woodward was run. Pha Park had the simulcasting program churning in full bore by then so I could have stayed home and watch and bet from the track. But so what; I wanted to see Holy Bull run, live.

So, I drove the 95 miles or so each way, and I am forever glad I did. I even ran into an old newspaper guy who knew me from my days with NYRA in the very crowded paddock area. He asked me: 'What are you doing here? I said: 'I just wanted to come and see Holy Bull run. No other reason'.

Holy Bull's 1994 Woodward was one of the very best performances by a racehorse I ever witnessed! And he beat up a bunch of top horses of their time doing so.

RIP to a truly great horse, Holy Bull. The memories will last forever and ever.
Great post.

I was another of the people that Holy Bull helped get into racing. He was my first "favorite horse" and thrilling to watch run. I'll always remember Holy Bull blowing away the field in the Woodward and Mike Smith (hard to believe Mike Smith is winning huge races 23 years later) pumping his fist and yelling. I think I was almost as excited.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #23
SharpCat

RIP My old friend

Last edited by SharpCat; 06-09-2017 at 04:32 PM.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #24
powerrun

I have had two truly favorite horses since I became captivated with horse racing way back when I was a child—Spectacular Bid and Holy Bull. I will forever remember Holy Bull as his sheer elegance, speed, and courage mesmerized me the first time I saw him run as a maiden. My fondness for Holy Bull helped me cope with the untimely death of my brother. I knew Holy Bull’s workout pattern like clockwork so I would purchase the Daily Racing Form just to see the write-up of his work outs. I even wrote a Daily Racing Form editorial on Holy Bull’s behalf in 1994 for Horse of the Year and after the Travers when when David Liftin chose Tabasco Cat over the Bull. Tabasco Cat over the Bull? Come on!

I also hold the late Jimmy Croll and his wife, Bobbie, in the highest esteem as they had the decency of touching base with me about Holy Bull’s condition after his injury during the Donn Handicap.

Thank you, Holy Bull, for the awesome memories! May you rest well!
powerrun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #25
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

RIP
Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #26
PointGiven

"As game as a race horse can be"
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #27
highnote

He was a great one. I think remember handicapping one of his early races. Didn't he race and win against Cigar at 3-1 odds?

I seem to remember handicapping that race and trying to beat Cigar and when I came across Holy Bull I was surprised to be able to find a horse good enough to beat the Mighty Cigar, but yet, there he was.

I might be wrong about the details, but I do remember it dawning on me that Holy Bull was a monster.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #28
sour grapes
Veteran

i believe that was the last race of holy bulls career in which he was pulled up in the donn handicap,passing the torch on to cigar.Not sure you were getting 3-1 on the bull though.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #29
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
He was a great one. I think remember handicapping one of his early races. Didn't he race and win against Cigar at 3-1 odds?

I seem to remember handicapping that race and trying to beat Cigar and when I came across Holy Bull I was surprised to be able to find a horse good enough to beat the Mighty Cigar, but yet, there he was.

I might be wrong about the details, but I do remember it dawning on me that Holy Bull was a monster.
He was a monster but he never beat Cigar. The only time they met up was in the Donn Handicap when Holy Bull was pulled up after breaking down during the race.

You might be thinking of him beating Dehere as a 2 year old in the Belmont Futurity after Dehere had swept the 2 year old stakes at Saratoga.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #30
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour grapes View Post
i believe that was the last race of holy bulls career in which he was pulled up in the donn handicap,passing the torch on to cigar.Not sure you were getting 3-1 on the bull though.
Maybe it was the other way around? Maybe Cigar was making the switch from turf to dirt and that's when I noticed that Cigar had a shot at beating Holy Bull at 3-1?

After twenty years, it's easy to forget all the details.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: