Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
MickJ26

Spooky Mulder and Evening Attire

It seems like the only times the mainstream sports media or the media in general cover horse racing is when there's a tragic, high profile breakdown like Barbaro, Ruffian, Eight Belles, etc. You'll never hear them mention horses like Spooky Mulder or Evening Attire or older horses who've raced at a high level at an age when most horses are retired. These are horses that FULLY ENJOY racing and the attention of being on the track and competing against other horses. These are horses I always play and always root for whether they have a realistic chance of winning or not. The racing world needs more Evening Attires and Spooky Mulders. Thumbs up for EA and SM.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
jognlope

IF EA or Spooky is at Spa this season, I'm going to take bunches of pictures. There should be a special aware for horses like these. Malibu Moonshine scratched out of today's along with another favorite, so maybe EA will stave off Successful Affair, but he has just been getting better since not so great 2yo campaign.

I love Evening!
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJ26
It seems like the only times the mainstream sports media or the media in general cover horse racing is when there's a tragic, high profile breakdown like Barbaro, Ruffian, Eight Belles, etc. You'll never hear them mention horses like Spooky Mulder or Evening Attire or older horses who've raced at a high level at an age when most horses are retired. These are horses that FULLY ENJOY racing and the attention of being on the track and competing against other horses. These are horses I always play and always root for whether they have a realistic chance of winning or not. The racing world needs more Evening Attires and Spooky Mulders. Thumbs up for EA and SM.

Those two are NY gladiators for sure. Both are/were two of my all time favorites. When your in lifetime past performance mode w/formulator and you look at either of those two its impressive. They've run everywhere, at every distance, against all comers, they've chased down speed, dueled in the stretch, ran away and hid, not much those two have'nt done.

This is a Spooky Mulder race where 30% of his backers are running back to thier seat, and digging through the trash, and looking all over the ground for thier tickets. Because just when they thought Spooky was cooked, he revved it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loHUIG5i_OY

[YT="spooky"]loHUIG5i_OY[/YT]

Last edited by Suff; 05-15-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
jognlope

Delosvientos won, Evening Attire was 2nd. He did great. He might have won, but No Reply just gunned it a little too much toward the end. He ran his usual race though. His start was a little better too. Good ole boy. I dont' think the Kellys will complain about today.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

My personal opinion is that Evening Attire should no longer be allowed to race. It just isn't fair to bettors, and like it or not, this game is about gambling.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
jognlope

Not allowed to race getting 2nd, hmmmm....
Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
Not allowed to race getting 2nd, hmmmm....
I'm sure those that bet him to win were thrilled. Now, I think you would have to be pretty dumb to bet him to win, but the stewards are supposed to protect the public.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
ezrabrooks
Veteran

"pretty dumb to bet him to win"...Sounds like red boarding to me..
ezrabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I made a similar comment in the other "Evening Attire is great" thread a few days before he was supposed to race, but thanks for looking out for me.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
ezrabrooks
Veteran

Whether you backed the horse is one thing, but to say that a horse that just ran 2nd by two in a stakes, outrunning the even money favorite by day light, should be put on the Steward's List, and betting to him to win was dumb..is out there.

Last edited by ezrabrooks; 05-15-2008 at 07:39 PM.
ezrabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrabrooks
Whether you backed the horse is one thing, but to say that a horse that just ran 2nd by two in a stakes, outrunning the even money favorite by day light, should be put on the Steward's List, and betting to him to win was dumb..is out there.
He has won one of his last 12, most at levels similar to today, and paid $8.50. So I don't think he is worth much on the win bet side, but maybe that is just me.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He has won one of his last 12, most at levels similar to today, and paid $8.50. So I don't think he is worth much on the win bet side, but maybe that is just me.
CJ, I can't agree with you here. When a ten year old gelding still runs as well as Attire, especially as he did today at 12 FURLONGS..........why does he have to stop?

I hope his owner doesn't log in tonight and read this thread about his horse.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
CJ, I can't agree with you here. When a ten year old gelding still runs as well as Attire, especially as he did today at 12 FURLONGS..........why does he have to stop?

I hope his owner doesn't log in tonight and read this thread about his horse.
I was probably a little harsh, but is it fair to the bettor? I always take that stand because nobody else will. I'm a little testy with the way we are being treated by horsemen these days, so you'll have to excuse me not giving two shits about them.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
jognlope

Most horses don't get a chance to show they can race into the years because they are retired to the breeding shed.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Gambleonclaimers

Thats crazy to say that he shouldn't be allowed to race on him, Everyday in the claiming ranks there are horses who are 1 for 12 2 for 34 so by your opinion these horses shouldn't be raced either how about a 5yr old maiden who was 0 for 12 should he not have been allowed to race and break his maiden at Belmont today. I mean really do you think icabd crane and hey byrn have a chance at winning the preakness maybe if all the other horses fell down. I mean that statement is just crazy connections put their horses in races everyday that they have no chance at winning should we make little astericks (* don't bet this horse he can't win) or not allow them to run at all because its unfair to the bettor. What your saying just isn't practicle and pretty crazy. I could think of about 5 or 6 horses off the top of my head that should be on a watch list way before Evening Attire to run 2nd in a 1 1/2 at 10 I would say thats pretty amazing...
Gambleonclaimers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply