Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

His choices were not to force the horse to get outside until there was an opening.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #32
lcohen

Oh how easy it is to analyze something after the fact and determine what could have been done differently. If only we all had this option for different decisions in our lives.
lcohen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
ezrabrooks
Veteran

I am sure the ride has been dissected some where on this board..but the way I saw it, KD gave up going to the lead with D'Tara, and attempted to get outside, but was boxed in by Tale of Ekati.. BB now in passing gear, with no place to go, was forced up the rear of the leader and had to be checked...by this time he was totally boxed on the rail, and couldn't get clear on the outside, until he muscled his way out, bumping Anak Nakal going into the first turn.. Only fault I would give KD was that he should have just stayed on the rail..but, hindsight is always pretty good.
ezrabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #34
Wickel

KD's only chance to escape the early congestion was to contest the pace early on then drop back into a comfortable position. When he took hold and tried to get outside, there was nowhere to go. It was actually great race riding by his fellow riders to keep him in a box. Faced with that situation, KD should have kept his course on the rail, and I guarantee it would have opened up going into the backstretch. And contrary to what I'm reading in this thread, he should have ridden the horse out to the finish. He mentioned more than once that he felt there was nothing physically wrong with the horse. There was no need to pull him up other to to cover up his horrendous ride. Think of all the show bettors that got screwed. One other thing--and I hate to even consider this--but all the exotic payoffs were unusual IMHO. I heard or read somewhere that the moneyline on BB dropped precipitously. Let's hope he didn't like the footing, was tired or just threw in a clunker.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #35
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
If a horse can't handle that bumping, we should all be thankful he lost, because he does not deserve to be called a Triple Crown Champion.
Big Brown was asked to make a right turn into another horse .. basically asked to play demolition derby .. not sure just how many Triple Crown winners could have handled being asked to do such a thing just a few jumps out of the Belmont Stakes gate.

As for the other question .. as to what Kent should have done .. how about just let the horse bound out of the gate and secure position on the rail. Let the other horses work to play catch up. Turcotte didn't snatch up on Secretariat .. Affirmed and Alydar basically had a match race for the final 6-7 furlongs of their marathon. Sometimes riders just need to know how to have faith in their own horses, and ride accordingly.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
What rider would have won on Big Brown?
No other rider would of done anything different. The horse had a bleeding problem before and the heat must of gotten to him. No one is perfect and this horse had a great run until this race.
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #37
rokitman
Registered BSer

Perhaps BB succumbed to the weight of the PETA members rooting for him to break down so they could get the attention turned back on them, now in full vitriolic, hysterical fervor. That may sounds facetious but, as I'm sure some of you know, there are forces at work in our Universe far beyond our current knowledge, and I do believe if enough people wish bad things, or a few people possessing the venom of many, they can make it happen. PETA was not there hoping for a beautiful day of togetherness among God's creatures. They got the result they wanted but without the catastrophic injury they were hoping for.

For those thinking I am nuts- which is true but in a different way than you are probably thinking right now- you should investigate David Bohm and Karl Pribram.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #38
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Big Brown was asked to make a right turn into another horse .. basically asked to play demolition derby .. not sure just how many Triple Crown winners could have handled being asked to do such a thing just a few jumps out of the Belmont Stakes gate.
I'd say all of them overcame more than that. Great horses overcome. Good horses look for excuses.

Afleet Alex fell on his face in the Preakness and still won. Big Brown should be able to handle a little bumping for four strides and a take up if he wants to win a TC race.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #39
rokitman
Registered BSer

Quote:
I'd say all of them overcame more than that. Great horses overcome. Good horses look for excuses.

Afleet Alex fell on his face in the Preakness and still won. Big Brown should be able to handle a little bumping for four strides and a take up if he wants to win a TC race.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #40
DeanT

That's what the greats do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op78_8CYZ0Y

Glad I took the time to watch that again. It puts it in a lot of perspective regarding Kents ride.

Here's the picture of it.

http://www.isolaracing.se/Bilder/Afleet%20alex.jpg

Last edited by DeanT; 06-09-2008 at 04:52 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #41
ezrabrooks
Veteran

Quote:

Good point with the AA example. BB's problems were all from the gate to the first turn...a great one would have gathered himself and prevailed..

Ez
ezrabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #42
JBmadera

Now it's getting interesting:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/95324.html
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #43
Trax21

Now we know what Mr. Dutrow thinks of the ride. He may be looking for another rider, but I guess it's not his call.
Trax21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #44
46zilzal
velocitician

"All the jockeys in the Belmont knew that. So when he scrambled out of there again Saturday, they dropped over on him right away and got him in a box."

They sure did. And that's when all the trouble began. Big Brown wanted his head, but Desormeaux put a double lock on him. With the horse swinging his head, to and fro, anxious to go on, Desormeaux yanked him outside, slamming hard into Anak Nakal, then, incredibly, Desormeaux took him so wide it's a wonder they didn't send out a search party for him.

The cops should have ticketed him for reckless driving

From, of all places, Fox sports.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #45
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

All this amazes me. A bad ride may make a horse lose or have to work too hard for a win, but it certainly doesn't make the horse have so little left with that far left to go, especially when the competiton is supposed to be so far below par. He was beat by at least 10 and probably more had he tried to run on and nothing was going to change that. Why can't people accept that it just wasn't his day and move on?
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply