Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #31
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Bill Garr was strictly a So. Cal guy.

He called the races from the press box at Santa Anita.

His signature call was " hand, boot and whip to the wire"

I remember driving home rooting my ass off for my front runner to please hang on!!

Looked at the chart the next day and he was 5 in front at every call except for the finish where he was SIX in front.
As for the callers and voices in Las Vegas. There were quite a few. The one I think I remember was Jay Richards.

I mentioned that on the previous page, thanks for confirming a 40 year old memory. With a history of concussions I am waiting for my memory to fall behind others in my age group, I am 62. Do you remember what years Garr had the radio replay shows? Even though KIEV 870 wasn't a high wattage station, I had this old tube radio from the 50's that would get a clear signal all the way out in Hemet, in the late 70's early 80's. I don't think he ever used terms like "drawing away" when they approached the wire.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2023, 11:28 AM   #32
wiretowire68

Well

She is not any worse than the dude at Turf Paradise or Robert Geller of Woodbine and Sun Park. She will get better "hopefully" The two best for me in terms of history of having the priveledge are Tom Durkin and Dan Loiselle. The next star for me is if they give him a chance to move up is the gentleman from Finger Lakes, great charisma
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2023, 12:14 PM   #33
Inner Dirt

Robert Geller's voice is very familiar too me, he must have been other places as I don't bet artificial tracks, so no Woodbine for me. He sounds just fine in my opinion. I last played Turf Paradise in person 15 years ago, that placed drained by wallet, we don't get along.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #34
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
She is not any worse than the dude at Turf Paradise or Robert Geller of Woodbine and Sun Park. She will get better "hopefully" The two best for me in terms of history of having the priveledge are Tom Durkin and Dan Loiselle. The next star for me is if they give him a chance to move up is the gentleman from Finger Lakes, great charisma
Found it interesting when you put Geller in that grouping, until you mentioned Loiselle. You may suffer from the same affliction I did - Marshall Cassidy was my favorite, so never warmed to his immediate successor Tom Durkin, no matter how much others liked him. If there'd been someone in between, who knows. I personally think Geller is one of the better ones.

Calo as a "NEXT star" might be a bit of a stretch - he's been announcing since 1997, so a decent chunk of the career path is in the rear view mirror. I do definitely enjoy his calls.

Vocal tone can play a lot into it - there are definitely some announcers/hosts/paddock analysts whose voices don't play as nicely in my ears as they do in others.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #35
thaskalos

Robert Geller is AWESOME...in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:08 PM   #36
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Bill Garr was strictly a So. Cal guy.

He called the races from the press box at Santa Anita.

His signature call was " hand, boot and whip to the wire"

I remember driving home rooting my ass off for my front runner to please hang on!!

Looked at the chart the next day and he was 5 in front at every call except for the finish where he was SIX in front.

As for the callers and voices in Las Vegas. There were quite a few. The one I think I remember was Jay Richards.
Favorite memories of Bill Garr:

He used an echo box when the race started. It was supposed to sound like he was the track announcer and you were hearing the echo from the speakers.

Also, he would sometimes get lost or be unable to ID a horse. And you'd then hear him pause until Trevor or Dave or Jim got back to calling that horse, and then Bill would call the horse's name too!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2023, 01:41 PM   #37
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Favorite memories of Bill Garr:

He used an echo box when the race started. It was supposed to sound like he was the track announcer and you were hearing the echo from the speakers.

Also, he would sometimes get lost or be unable to ID a horse. And you'd then hear him pause until Trevor or Dave or Jim got back to calling that horse, and then Bill would call the horse's name too!

Echo box? Never heard of such a thing, that had me fooled.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:00 AM   #38
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Robert Geller's voice is very familiar too me, he must have been other places as I don't bet artificial tracks, so no Woodbine for me. He sounds just fine in my opinion. I last played Turf Paradise in person 15 years ago, that placed drained by wallet, we don't get along.
Geller was the original caller at Emerald Downs. He must have been there 15 years or so before moving to Woodbine. I know in Emerald's off-season, he'd call races down in the southwest. One or two of the New Mexico tracks.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2023, 11:02 AM   #39
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Robert Geller is AWESOME...in my opinion.
Agree. One of my favorites also.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2023, 11:02 AM   #40
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Geller was the original caller at Emerald Downs. He must have been there 15 years or so before moving to Woodbine. I know in Emerald's off-season, he'd call races down in the southwest. One or two of the New Mexico tracks.

I thought it could have been EMD, thanks!