Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #61
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Del Mar has reported a training death this morning. Koa, a 3-year-old gelding trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, broke down and had to be euthanized.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2019, 05:50 AM   #62
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Have you been talking to my ex-wife?

I had to double check the username. More comments like this and you'll soon be catching up to Tom,m who posts the most "I spit coffee onto my computer monitor when I read this" quips.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2019, 05:53 AM   #63
clicknow

I don't know if this was brought up in the topic, but from an article in 2017 about racing in CA and NY:

"The “most significant” trend connecting the horses that died last year is that five of the 17 had gaps in training of 60 days or more prior to their fatal injury, he said.

(Though one of the 17 horses, it should be noted, died as a result of a freak accident.)

This trend tallies with broader state-wide findings from recent years. From 314 fatalities (among Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds where the horse had at least one start) in California over the past three years, 86 had training or racing gaps of at least 60 days. And, of those 86 horses, 45 had gaps of more than 120 days in racing, in training or both prior to their fatal injury.

Of those 314 horses described above that experienced a 120-day or more layoff, 36 percent had been on the vet’s list at some point in their career."

So apparently, standing around in the barn too much, with interrupted work patterns, is certainly an indicator that the horse needs to be gone over triple-carefully before racing.

In these cases, the onus would be on the trainers, not the track itself, etc.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...-and-saratoga/

Last edited by clicknow; 12-01-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #64
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I don't know if this was brought up in the topic, but from an article in 2017 about racing in CA and NY:

"The “most significant” trend connecting the horses that died last year is that five of the 17 had gaps in training of 60 days or more prior to their fatal injury, he said.

(Though one of the 17 horses, it should be noted, died as a result of a freak accident.)

This trend tallies with broader state-wide findings from recent years. From 314 fatalities (among Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds where the horse had at least one start) in California over the past three years, 86 had training or racing gaps of at least 60 days. And, of those 86 horses, 45 had gaps of more than 120 days in racing, in training or both prior to their fatal injury.

Of those 314 horses described above that experienced a 120-day or more layoff, 36 percent had been on the vet’s list at some point in their career."

So apparently, standing around in the barn too much, with interrupted work patterns, is certainly an indicator that the horse needs to be gone over triple-carefully before racing.

In these cases, the onus would be on the trainers, not the track itself, etc.

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...-and-saratoga/
This correlates with a decades old piece of handicapping wisdom, which is one of the most important things you can see in a work pattern is consistency- a workout every week, even if it isn't very fast, is so much better than a workout line with a bunch of gaps in it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #65
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This correlates with a decades old piece of handicapping wisdom, which is one of the most important things you can see in a work pattern is consistency- a workout every week, even if it isn't very fast, is so much better than a workout line with a bunch of gaps in it.
well, its the same for humans, esp. as you get older. Even if you are arthritic, you have to KEEP MOVING. Otherwise you "rust out" like the Tin Man.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #66
horsefan2019

Racinos would've probably saved the socal racing product, but I believe it was voted down years ago.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #67
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Racinos would've probably saved the socal racing product, but I believe it was voted down years ago.
Temporarily saved racing. That gravy train is going to run out I believe has in some places

As predicted btw
Old 12-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #68
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Temporarily saved racing. That gravy train is going to run out I believe has in some places

As predicted btw
Gave tracks the opportunity to do nothing for a few years.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #69
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Gave tracks the opportunity to do nothing for a few years.
wrong, gave a lot of them the ability to pound their chests on the "gains" in handle the sport was making.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #70
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Del Mar has reported a training death this morning. Koa, a 3-year-old gelding trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, broke down and had to be euthanized.

Meanwhile, at Grants Pass (where 6 1/2 furlongs is three turns) they had more starts than did Dmr fall season and zero horses died of racing injuries during Grants Pass fall (no severe injuries either).

PETA probably wasn’t present there as well.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #71
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Michael Wrona was present at Grants Pass.

All kidding aside --

How did Grants Pass (cheaper horses) achieve lower catastrophic breakdown rates than Santa Anita (classier horses) or Del Mar?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 12-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #72
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Meanwhile, at Grants Pass (where 6 1/2 furlongs is three turns) they had more starts than did Dmr fall season and zero horses died of racing injuries during Grants Pass fall (no severe injuries either).
This is really interesting.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #73
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Michael Wrona was present at Grants Pass.

All kidding aside --

How did Grants Pass (cheaper horses) achieve lower catastrophic breakdown rates than Santa Anita (classier horses) or Del Mar?

-jp

Tiny sample size
better weather (in the obvious case)
fewer babies
dirt/sand mix more appropriate for the weather they did have
and you can’t go as fast when 6 1/2 furs is 3 turns

PM, racing on sand with the wettest racing around, also had relatively low fatality data for much of this decade.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #74
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Times

What do GPass horses run for 6 F?

I’m thinking they might be lots slower? Does that matter?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #75
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Tiny sample size
better weather (in the obvious case)
fewer babies
dirt/sand mix more appropriate for the weather they did have
and you can’t go as fast when 6 1/2 furs is 3 turns

PM, racing on sand with the wettest racing around, also had relatively low fatality data for much of this decade.
I'm sure we've all walked over a dirt track and seen how it's tiring. I've always wondered why the composition we've chosen is the one that must be best.

I read in an old racing book that tracks (some, all?) used to plant winter wheat over the track during the winter break, and then they'd till it up to prepare it for the upcoming meet. The result was a really loamy dirt which would have all the cushion of the root system. Reading that, it seemed so much more logical and kind as the surface for dirt racing.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply