Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Lasix67

Whipping horses....

cmon man, give me a break. It has been and should always be part of the sport. It is used for many reasons by a jockey from getting out of the gate to getting a horse to change leads and level out. Being politically correct on every damn thing in this world today is getting to be a joke. Just my two cents worth.
Lasix67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasix67
cmon man, give me a break. It has been and should always be part of the sport. It is used for many reasons by a jockey from getting out of the gate to getting a horse to change leads and level out. Being politically correct on every damn thing in this world today is getting to be a joke. Just my two cents worth.
Agree. It's a safety thing as well but nobody ever mentions that. Now we have whips that are much softer but they still aren't satisfied. They'll keep making rules until everyone just quits.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

A few cracks are fine, but after that give me a good, strong hand ride every time.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
gm10

I'm just watching a TVG debate about the new British whip rules. Very interesting. The British rules may appear silly, but I think they deserve a chance now that the maximum of five hits in the final furlong has been removed. Counting to 7 in a race can easily become second nature to jockeys imo.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
andymays
Veteran

They should let the Jockeys vote. I'm pretty sure they'll vote to keep the whip.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
They should let the Jockeys vote. I'm pretty sure they'll vote to keep the whip.
They should let everyone vote.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
They should let everyone vote.
Do you mean like on Dancing With the Stars?
5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
BetCrazyGirl

The rule is silly and obviously it's just being made for public perception. Let the jockeys use their own judgment when to whip the horse and if they do it excessively just make the punishment outweight the benefit to deter them from doing so. I really hate blanket rules like that one since it takes human judgment out of the picture.
BetCrazyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
Do you mean like on Dancing With the Stars?
I'm not familiar with 'Dancing With The Stars' so I can't comment on that.

From a pragmatic point of view, I certainly look forward to next season. The new rules will give us a new window into the profession, ability and influence of jockeys, and also (hopefully) bring up patterns in the way horses react. New experiment means new observations and hopefully new insights.

Last edited by gm10; 10-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
tzipi

Yes, whips are softer today and they should be used properly. That's fine with me. BUT what I can't stand is, the dopey jock who whips like a maniac on a horse who 8 of 10th in the stretch and fading behind by 10+ lengths . They should fine and suspend those "jockeys".
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

Not opposed to whips, but am definitely opposed to inappropriate use. Unfortunately many riders, in all disciplines, are at fault.

If a horse is already giving its all, what is it teaching them when continuously being subjected to the whip? In those cases, they are being "punished" for actually trying hard.

A good rider can get so much more from a horse by using just a few well-timed taps along with a strong, in-tune, in-sync ride rather than repeated, relentless, punishing blows from the whip, of any sort.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
antigeekess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Not opposed to whips, but am definitely opposed to inappropriate use. Unfortunately many riders, in all disciplines, are at fault.

If a horse is already giving its all, what is it teaching them when continuously being subjected to the whip? In those cases, they are being "punished" for actually trying hard.

A good rider can get so much more from a horse by using just a few well-timed taps along with a strong, in-tune, in-sync ride rather than repeated, relentless, punishing blows from the whip, of any sort.
Agreed. And that's my favorite quote from Seabiscuit.
antigeekess is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer

I don't think many jockeys continually whip horses that are giving their all. I do think there are many horses that don't give their all.
As for your last paragraph, I think you are correct for many horses and incorrect for many horses. All horses are not equal in all regards IMO.
However, this debate will go nowhere here. I'm not sitting on their backs and I have done no scientific research.
There are obviously two extremes. 1)Don't whip the pretty horsey. 2)Whip the hell out of that S.O.B. The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by Marlin; 10-30-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
craigbraddick

This is just my opinion...

It has nothing to do with political correctness...

Whipping animals to be obedient to work harder and to run faster is the thinking of a bygone age and it needs to be all but removed from the sport.

So many jockeys overuse the whip with the approval of owners and trainers that it is clear to me finishing 6th instead of 7th is more important than the welfare of the horse.

As a Race Caller, I see far more horses shy away from the whip than are motivated by it.

I am in favor of severely reducing the use of the whip. I do believe it can "sometimes" be used to steady a bolting or severely drifting horse and I am fine with it being used for that purpose. In the way I would give my kid a smack if they ran into traffic or put themselves in danger.

I think the whip in running should be abolished entirely. The sport is supposed to be about man and animal in harmony, not man co-ercing and often clearly over using a whip past the point of reason. If a jockey cannot get the most out of a horse without using the whip, you should find a jockey with better skills of horsemanship.

Craig.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #15
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Yes, whips are softer today and they should be used properly. That's fine with me. BUT what I can't stand is, the dopey jock who whips like a maniac on a horse who 8 of 10th in the stretch and fading behind by 10+ lengths . They should fine and suspend those "jockeys".
Stewards are fining and suspending those jockeys. It's been a point emphasis recently.