Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-01-2024, 11:02 AM   #1
Candybag

Possible new source for purses

I have an idea for funding purses that is not a new tax or a trick pony. The approach is a more efficient use of Medicaid tax dollars currently paid in error.

I have asked Mr. Ray Paulick of the Paulick Report for an interview, which is under current consideration.

California looks to be a perfect pilot for this idea. The idea includes funding to kick start "fixed odds" wagering as a benefit to racing fans. A fund could also be established from the Medicaid savings to offset any loss from wrongful actions after prosecution of the guilty party.

My hope is California becomes aware of the idea and carefully considers the same before any more track closures and purse cuts.

Here is a link from HTR that gives a little more information: https://htr2.com/forums/forum/htr-ha...-consideration

I will share the Paulick Report interview if it is conducted. Thank you.
Candybag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 01:17 PM   #2
Stevecsd2

Any savings from Medicaid should be used to reduce the overall tax burden on taxpayers. This type of scheme is how our country has gotten into $33 TRILLION in debt. Using money that is supposed to be used for one purpose be given to a totally different purpose. And from what I've read California is going to have a huge budget deficit this year. It is never going to fly with the California legislature.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 02:11 PM   #3
Candybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
Any savings from Medicaid should be used to reduce the overall tax burden on taxpayers. This type of scheme is how our country has gotten into $33 TRILLION in debt. Using money that is supposed to be used for one purpose be given to a totally different purpose. And from what I've read California is going to have a huge budget deficit this year. It is never going to fly with the California legislature.
Perhaps the California legislature would not approve the plan. Continuing the Medicaid payments in error helps no one.

I understand your view if only that is how it could work. I need a special interest group to make it happen and to ensure the recoveries continue to happen. I speak from many decades of hands-on experience.

California racing has provided many tax dollars to the general revenue fund over the years. The industry needs a lifeline to survive and compete. If racing is bringing the solution, racing should participate in the solution. The best solutions leave something on the table for every party.

If I get in front of the Medicaid authorities, I will make the value proposition. I understand the idea may go nowhere if I attached the racing condition. But then again, the solution was going nowhere otherwise.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:25 PM   #4
racenomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candybag View Post
Perhaps the California legislature would not approve the plan. Continuing the Medicaid payments in error helps no one.

I understand your view if only that is how it could work. I need a special interest group to make it happen and to ensure the recoveries continue to happen. I speak from many decades of hands-on experience.

California racing has provided many tax dollars to the general revenue fund over the years. The industry needs a lifeline to survive and compete. If racing is bringing the solution, racing should participate in the solution. The best solutions leave something on the table for every party.

If I get in front of the Medicaid authorities, I will make the value proposition. I understand the idea may go nowhere if I attached the racing condition. But then again, the solution was going nowhere otherwise.
The issue is that the people in charge of California don’t like Horse Racing. They are completely fine watching it die. The way that they can increase purses is via partnering with most other tracks and creating an ADW.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenomics View Post
The issue is that the people in charge of California don’t like Horse Racing. They are completely fine watching it die. The way that they can increase purses is via partnering with most other tracks and creating an ADW.

And this is the reason why it will never get implemented. The public doesn't care about horse racing anymore and neither do the elected officials.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #6
Candybag

Everyone could be right. Then California must hate themselves even more than the racing industry.

Feds biggest winner.
State of California is second biggest winner
Horsemen and track staff are third
People with disabilities fourth biggest winner.

Fail to implement and continue to pay claims in error: No one wins.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:09 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Candy,

Could you possibly provide more detail?

I simply do not understand how this saves Medicaid money.

Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 04:06 PM   #8
Candybag

States have misclassified Medicaid recipients who are on SSI and Medicaid, when those people really should be on SSDI and Medicare. Even the people getting the benefits are not aware of their misclassifaction.

The states have known about this problem since the inception of the SSDI program in July 1956. However, no one has a solution to identify the misclassified SSI/Medicaid people who really should be SSDI and Medicare.

The states share in the Medicaid costs, for example 60% federal share, 40% state match. On Medicare, the medical claims are 100% federally funded, no state match. By identifying the misclassified Medicaid people and placing them on Medicare, California would save 40% of the Medicaid claim paid in error. And it is a big deal dollar wise.

There are other savings also by the proper classification that get technical. In addition, SSDI benefits are higher than SSI, so the person with disabilities wins also with more income.

The Feds insist on ideas like mine, it provides living supports for treatment at home or in the community in lieu of a $900 per day treatment facility. The costs I shift to the Feds on Medicare and SSDI are peanuts compared to what the Feds save on treatment in the least restrictive environment. In fact, my process is a requirement of State and Federal law, to keep Medicaid the payor of last resort.

I have a proprietary solution to this problem.

I hope the above information helps. And I hope I can help a lot of California people if given the chance. Maybe the Paulick Report will alert California if I get the interview with Mr. Paulick.

Thank you.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:14 PM   #9
castaway01

Why in the world would anyone give the horse racing industry the financial benefit from this situation? It's just incredibly random and sounds like the worst kind of government act. If I was a voter and found out that the "found" money from this situation was going to prop up dying racetracks, I'd be extremely pissed off.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 05:41 PM   #10
Candybag

That is assuming I waltz in, dazzle all the Medicaid authorities, show them the money, tell them it is the law and I get a contact.

Nothing is further from the truth. To the public it looks like a slam dunk. I need an organization that will push this effort or it will not happen.

If an effort does not help a politician or their party, it is 2/5 it does not happen.

In Ohio it is 1/9 it does not happen, even if it cures cancer. Ask all those people in prison or awaiting trial. The judge even ordered them straight to prison, no time to get their affairs in order. Google Larry Householder et. al.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:05 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candybag View Post
I have a proprietary solution to this problem.

I hope the above information helps. And I hope I can help a lot of California people if given the chance. Maybe the Paulick Report will alert California if I get the interview with Mr. Paulick.

Thank you.
Thank you.

Now I understand that you have a solution that could help Medicaid.

Please help me with why it is logical that some of the money saved could/should be diverted to horse racing.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 07:49 PM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Why in the world would anyone give the horse racing industry the financial benefit from this situation? It's just incredibly random and sounds like the worst kind of government act. If I was a voter and found out that the "found" money from this situation was going to prop up dying racetracks, I'd be extremely pissed off.
Come on, this is a "new" poster screwing around with people, right? Nobody is actually taking it seriously. They can't be.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2024, 08:24 PM   #13
Candybag

Dave:

Every point made by your posters is valid. If this situation was a private enterprise, the boss would insist I make the savings program happen or I am fired.

The problem and solution reside in a political environmental. Pay to play is alive and well. In a 2023 trial in Ohio, the former House of Representatives Speaker testified that people pay money, and they get legislation. The former Speaker further stated it has been going on for a long time and that is how business is done. He could not understand why he was arrested. He is now in prison.

I have good reason to believe pay to play is alive in many places. I could go to California, present the idea, everyone be in agreement that I have the solution, be thanked for my time and then never hear from them again. The payments in error continue and no one benefits.

Or I can pick a special interest group, such as racing (fan for decades) present the idea, and everyone realizes how this savings can benefit a lot of people. When it does not happen because a politician and political party did not gain from the situation, hopefully the people losing their jobs and the horsemen with their purses cut would cause a media problem and expose the issue. It could be any special interest group, other than racing, getting some of the proceeds as long as that group can ensure the law is followed.

Frankly, I would not even waste my time and money giving a presentation unless I am positive the state was serious about following the law and helping their citizens and industry.

On the HTR forum, I joked that racing does the same failed approaches and expects a different result, the classic definition of insanity. If I go to California without political cover, you can say the same thing about me.

Not doing my process is Medicaid fraud. To report Medicaid fraud, a person calls CMS. In turn, CMS refers the matter to the Attorney General of that State who is committing the fraud (great process for nailing the little guy, not the political party in power). A person cannot even sue the state for Medicaid fraud under the False Claims Act (Stevens v Vermont.)

This forum has a tough crowd. I appreciate the comments and opinions as the questions are fair. I expect the same when presenting.

Last edited by Candybag; 01-01-2024 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:29 PM   #14
Candybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Come on, this is a "new" poster screwing around with people, right? Nobody is actually taking it seriously. They can't be.
I am well known on HTR and to Ken Massa.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:34 PM   #15
horsefan2019

The problem is even if they found the extra tax money they would not divert it to the horse racing industry. They would divert it to the general fund.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply