Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
dilanesp

RIP Forty Niner

I bet him in the Derby, and the first time I ever went to Saratoga, I saw him win the Travers by a nose over Seeking the Gold.

I always thought his best race was his second to Alysheba in the Woodward. He finished ahead of several really good horses, and Alysheba set a track record in his win:

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

16 of 19 first or second lifetime...gutsy as they come...nice to see he lived a long life.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Spalding No!

I don't know if "swept through the Haskell and Travers" is the best way to put it.

Maybe he didn't like the mud or something, but I'm at a loss to understand why Forty Niner was taken back 11 lengths off the pace in the BC Classic. He broke like a shot and Waquoit (who held for 3rd) and Slew City Slew dueled with a huge 5 length gap to the rest. Sounds like a garden spot to get first run for a horse with the speed and courage of Forty Niner.

Shout out to Claiborne for retiring yet another superstar at the end of his 3yo season rather than come out as an older horse only to ship him off overseas when he didn't make them a mint in his first couple of crops at stud. Of course, he got a classic winner the very same year he was dumped. Geniuses.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I don't know if "swept through the Haskell and Travers" is the best way to put it.

Maybe he didn't like the mud or something, but I'm at a loss to understand why Forty Niner was taken back 11 lengths off the pace in the BC Classic. He broke like a shot and Waquoit (who held for 3rd) and Slew City Slew dueled with a huge 5 length gap to the rest. Sounds like a garden spot to get first run for a horse with the speed and courage of Forty Niner.

Shout out to Claiborne for retiring yet another superstar at the end of his 3yo season rather than come out as an older horse only to ship him off overseas when he didn't make them a mint in his first couple of crops at stud. Of course, he got a classic winner the very same year he was dumped. Geniuses.
Julie Krone said Forty Niner stepped in a hole on the track during the running of the BC Classic. He certainly threw in a poor performance, though I suspect he wasn't going to be able to beat Alysheba that night anyway. (And it was, basically, night by then. )
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Julie Krone said Forty Niner stepped in a hole on the track during the running of the BC Classic. He certainly threw in a poor performance, though I suspect he wasn't going to be able to beat Alysheba that night anyway. (And it was, basically, night by then. )
Well, if there was a hole on the track she certainly made sure he would find it with that terrible ride. Broke like a shot in the 4-path, wrangled back, ducked to the rail where even the pacesetters opted away from, allowed the horse to get swallowed up entering the far turn, shuffled back all the way to last entering the stretch, then swung out about 8-wide and closed stoutly for about a 1/16th of a mile before hitting a brick wall. Great way to finish his career.

They should have run him in the Malibu with Pincay or the NYRA Cajun scab guy for a swan song.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
classhandicapper

It's hard to believe he was 35 years old. RIP old warrior.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Don’t skip over those running lines

Impressive as hell
Old 05-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #8
deathandgravity

WOW! 35 years!
Rest in Peace
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #9
MJC922

RIP

Definitely an old favorite. If you bet on him and he had the lead at the top of the stretch you were in good shape. I'll always remember one of Woody's post race comments: "I knew he'd fight, he always has fought."