Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
showonly

Southern California racing product

Today's card at Delmar is completely unacceptable and should not be supported. How can the trend in racing possible stabilize when Del Mar is offering no value to the consumer. It's offering puts desperation on display like no business ever should. What a total disgrace. It is well past time for southern California to try the two day race week or 6 races or nothing.
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The good thing is that as customers we have a choice. I haven't even looked at the card, but if you don't like it, you don't have to play. So many races on a Friday to pick from there is no need to play bad ones from a betting perspective.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by showonly View Post
Today's card at Delmar is completely unacceptable and should not be supported. How can the trend in racing possible stabilize when Del Mar is offering no value to the consumer. It's offering puts desperation on display like no business ever should. What a total disgrace. It is well past time for southern California to try the two day race week or 6 races or nothing.
Aqueduct has been great, Tampa opens soon....there are lots of other places to spend your money.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

not a great looking card, but it looks like they had to come off-the-turf, which lead to numerous scratches...
Old 11-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
showonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The good thing is that as customers we have a choice. I haven't even looked at the card, but if you don't like it, you don't have to play. So many races on a Friday to pick from there is no need to play bad ones from a betting perspective.

I commit to a circuit or a particular meeting. My thinking is that it puts the player at a disadvantage not to do so. In addition I require high incentive(rebates) and large fields. I don't chase my tail in the win pool.
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
oughtoh

What happens next week if they get rain Wed-Sat. Hopefully it won't happen.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
dilanesp

The only reason to go to Del Mar during the winter meet is if you miss the $18 margaritas.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
ultracapper

Quote:
I commit to a circuit or a particular meeting. My thinking is that it puts the player at a disadvantage not to do so. In addition I require high incentive(rebates) and large fields. I don't chase my tail in the win pool.
I agree with this. However, for your piece of mind, SoCal may not be the circuit, as much as you may want it, to be the circuit you should commit to. It's my preferred circuit also, but I haven't gotten to the degree of frustration you have, yet. I've been peeking at FLA for a while now. The day may come when I start putting more time into FLA racing than I have in the past, but I haven't got even close to that yet.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Funny, I had this feeling about 2008
Old 11-23-2019, 01:01 AM   #10
JeremyJet
Handicapper

California racing has been in decline for years, but recent events have made things even worse.

Why would a trainer want to put up with all the BS associated with California racing? They're all under a microscope right now. You encounter some bad luck and your career could be over.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #11
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyJet View Post
California racing has been in decline for years, but recent events have made things even worse.

Why would a trainer want to put up with all the BS associated with California racing? They're all under a microscope right now. You encounter some bad luck and your career could be over.
What BS? Stricter drug rules? That would be the reason. What "other" BS is there?
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 01:08 AM   #12
jay68802

The decline in Cal racing is because of the "connections dependence on drugs".
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
JeremyJet
Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
The decline in Cal racing is because of the "connections dependence on drugs".
I'm not looking for a fight, SJW.

When you're shutting down the track because of rain I would consider that BS a trainer can avoid by running somewhere else. That just one example.
JeremyJet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Totally understand that, I just would have gotten away from SoCal a while ago given the state of racing there. That was even before the Santa Anita situation.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #15
GMB@BP

Without an somewhat even distribution of talent throughout the country racing is going to very boring (see NYRA grass races with Chad Brown as an example).
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply