Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Bogo

Pace

Wanted to ask a few questions on how people handicap using pace. I read a book recently where the author wrote that if two horses in different races have the lead and run the same final time the horse with the faster first half has run the superior race.
I have to admit I concentrate more on the third quarter time and the first quarter time. I do prefer horses with with faster third quarter times. The reason I use first quarter times is if we have two races, especially cheap races, where the leader went 29 29 and the other went 27 31 I have noticed that the latter will most likely give up if pressure is applied in the third quarter of the race.

1) Do you agree with the author concerning first half times?

2) Do you prefer half times or third quarter times or do you weigh them equally?

3) Do you consider the first quarter time to be just as important?

Thanks for reading and let me know what your thoughts are on pace.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Here's an interesting thread from years ago on PACE by LottaKash's PIP method.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=104447

And one by markgoldie, another excellent capper.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=65199
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogo View Post
Wanted to ask a few questions on how people handicap using pace. I read a book recently where the author wrote that if two horses in different races have the lead and run the same final time the horse with the faster first half has run the superior race.
I have to admit I concentrate more on the third quarter time and the first quarter time. I do prefer horses with with faster third quarter times. The reason I use first quarter times is if we have two races, especially cheap races, where the leader went 29 29 and the other went 27 31 I have noticed that the latter will most likely give up if pressure is applied in the third quarter of the race.

1) Do you agree with the author concerning first half times?

2) Do you prefer half times or third quarter times or do you weigh them equally?

3) Do you consider the first quarter time to be just as important?

Thanks for reading and let me know what your thoughts are on pace.
If both of these horses won in a wire-to-wire fashion...then the argument could be made that the horse with the fastest first half ran the "better race". But if the two winners displayed dissimilar running styles, then the author's theory falls flatly on its face...because the trips of the respective horses then decide who indeed ran the "better race". It's the TRIPS, rather than just the clockings, that determine how grueling the race's individual fractions are on the particular horses.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #4
Bogo

Ray,

Thanks for both of those links. Very interesting and some innovative ideas.

Thaskalos,

Not sure I know exactly what you mean. If both horses are on the lead by the half I would say leaving or making a quarter move would be the only two ways to get there. The fractions of the first and second quarter and how long the horse was parked out would be the only things to consider. Maybe I am confused by exactly what you meant. Can you expound on this. Thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #5
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Comparing fractional times requires using the DTV, Track speed ratings, racing wide(°°) in turns and as thaskalos says the "Trip" factor, racing with cover or battling.

In a Harness 'nose to nose', 'Dead Heat" match race each horse has identical Q times but in a 4 turn track the outside horse has gone 12 lengths further and is clearly the best.
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Bogo

Yes Ray. But I thought we were considering two horses both on the lead at the half. I get adjustments for DTV but these horses couldn't have raced wide for too long. I guess one could get parked until the half and in this case the fractions probably would tell why.