Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I didn't start this thread out of the pity that I feel for the inattentive horseplayers out there. There are bettors out there who place their wagers ahead of time, and then go on to other life responsibilities. Others play online...and might have been watching another racetrack feed at the precise time when that horse at Wrd broke loose. And still more players indulge in the horizontal wagers that have become so common in the game...where the player is locked into betting on a particular horse, without the option of backing out of the bet later. I could have been active in a horizontal wager involving that horse yesterday...and seeing the horse in the starting gate would have upset me greatly. What Wrd did yesterday was a great disservice to ALL the players, not just to the inattentive ones...and a similar act of injustice could very well affect you and I tomorrow. That's what my thread is really protesting against.
Says i have to spread more reputation around before i 'like' your post
Old 04-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #17
Hambletonian

As with any incident it is usually up to the track vet to clear the horse in a situation like this.

While this horse was most likely compromised by its pre race blow out, there are many ways for a horse's chances to be diminished.

Horses stuck in the stalls for minutes while a field of reluctant horses loads, horses next to horses that throw fits, horses themselves who decided they need to be pushed into the gate, horses that act up in the gate and are not quite set at the bell...in all instances the horses will probably not be at the top of their game---and in all of these instances you do not get a refund. How about a late jockey change when the original jockey begs off...that is certainly a situation where many folks would rather have a refund then wonder what the heck was up. But if the vet clears the horse away they go.

If the track vet thought this horse was fit to run so be it. Thems the chances you take at a smaller track. Hell, I was at Grants Pass one weekend and it seemed like every quarter horse race had a late gate scratch, as an incredibly slow and incompetent gate crew took forever to load the fields, causing some of the participants already loaded to flip the heck out.

Even though i was on vacation track collecting, after two or three of these fiascos I limited my bets on the quarters to a 1/10 of my normal bets...it just wasn't worth the aggravation.

At the end of the day, at these small tracks races are run for the owners and not the bettors.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

They just ran a 3 horse race at WRD.
Word must have gotten out.......
Old 04-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
They just ran a 3 horse race at WRD.
Word must have gotten out.......
This is a common occurrence at WRD as well.

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #20
rrpic6

More than 50% of the people call that track Cherokee. I should start following them now that Mahoning Valley is closed until October.

RR
Old 04-25-2019, 01:36 AM   #21
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is a common occurrence at WRD as well.

http://twitter.com/JamaicanSunset/st...89792996384768

Well, Gulfstream now knows who to call if they need spare parts for their timing system...
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

WOW!

What did you give that race for pace figures? 1258 1042?

Amazing what a completed joke most tracks really are.

I see GG proudly running 3 horse races lately, too.

For God's sake - shut the damn track down if you can't put a race together.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #23
Hosshead
It's A Photo-Ying & Yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Happened to me at Sam Houston RP once. Six furlong affair and the horse ran about 7f before they caught him just past the wire. Loaded him up much to my dismay and he broke last and fell back from there
I had it happen at Sam Houston also.
Horse flipped entering the gate, landed on his side and injured the jockey.
Long delay (long enough for me to cancel the bet), until they found another jock, ... then it ran terrible.
No way were they going to scratch that horse.
Hosshead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #24
king kong

Suffolk Downs early 60s,horse fractious in gate brought back to paddock with bloody nose changed rider back to gate ,dead last!Days Jack van berg, burton K. Sipp.
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply