Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

I guess as long as you know what you know and stay within that circle of competence you can do really well for awhile even if you don't know everything. But when that edge dries up (and it usually does with all the brilliant minds out there analyzing all the data available) you are sort of screwed.

He supposedly had an edge on under/over by knowing how certain coaches adjusted their team's playing style to certain opponents. He also supposedly had some good referee data before it was available publicly. But if he quit gambling to take a job, I'm guessing his edge is gone, he wasn't winning as much as people think, or he was especially lucky for an extended period of time on his biggest bets and then it started to catch up to him.
The very things you mention DO make up ways to beat NBA totals. Most people won't dig to do the research. I seriously doubt his edge was gone. He probably had been backed off too much, or limited too much. Plus, gambling at that high a level leads to burnout. He supposedly had a choice of several NBA teams. He isn't making $15/hour to work for the Mavs.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Jeopary James

Couldn't find a thread on this guy, if there is one lets bump it up. This guy is unbelievable. Pro sports bettor that is completely changing how to play the game of Jeopardy. Obviously you have to get most of the questions right to do this (he sits at about 97%), but he plays bottom up and hunts the daily doubles and wagers very aggressively when he finds one.

Today was win #32 and he is over 2.4 million. Ken Jennings is the all time leader with $2,520,700 won, but it took him 74 shows to do it. James will break his record in less than half the time and possibly even on Monday's show. He is $58,484 behind and he usually tops that most days. He has won as much as 131k on a single show. His daily average is well north of 70k.

(I found the thread, merged my post with it)

Last edited by cj; 05-31-2019 at 06:49 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Couldn't find a thread on this guy, if there is one lets bump it up. This guy is unbelievable. Pro sports bettor that is completely changing how to play the game of Jeopardy. Obviously you have to get most of the questions right to do this (he sits at about 97%), but he plays bottom up and hunts the daily doubles and wagers very aggressively when he finds one.

Today was win #32 and he is over 2.4 million. Ken Jennings is the all time leader with $2,520,700 won, but it took him 74 shows to do it. James will break his record in less than half the time and possibly even on Monday's show. He is $58,484 behind and he usually tops that most days. He has won as much as 131k on a single show. His daily average is well north of 70k.

(I found the thread, merged my post with it)
Game theory expert, but like you note if you can't get a lot of questions right it doesn't matter.

Many don't like his style viewing wise. I've only seen two of his episodes.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 PM   #19
thaskalos

I mistakenly turned the channel to Jeopardy a few weeks ago...and saw this guy for the first and only time. He had a score of about $22,000, while one of the other contestants was in the negative...and the other was at about $800. He chose a question, and the daily double showed up. Without even blinking, he bet all he had, and the camera turned to Alex Trebek...who was standing there with his mouth open.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-31-2019 at 09:49 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #20
RunForTheRoses

Viral ‘Jeopardy!’ clip appears to show James Holzhauer’s defeat: https://nypost.com/2019/06/02/viral-...hauers-defeat/
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #21
pandy

Amazing performance. He prepared for it for a year. The chance for the score of a lifetime and he took it seriously.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Yep, down goes James. Helluva run.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #23
FantasticDan
gelding

You guys ever heard of spoiler warnings?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #24
ldiatone

very interesting! nice run and FIXED FIXED FIXED!!!
obtw here in Vegas after the 6 news the news people talk nicely about James. and the Jeopardy ads have his pic with alex. they did a news segment on James. talked about what he will do w/ the cash.

and now in Lancaster, CA.

Last edited by ldiatone; 06-03-2019 at 06:25 PM.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #25
Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
very interesting! nice run and FIXED FIXED FIXED!!!
How was it fixed?
Wabash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #26
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabash View Post
How was it fixed?
KIDDING!!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #27
Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
KIDDING!!
I thought you might say because James only bet $1399, that makes it look like he didn’t want to win. I didn’t see the clip but I’m guessing the 3rd place contestant had about $11,000, so James was guarding against losing to him Incase he got the answer wrong. He knew his only chance to beat the leader was if she got the answer wrong. And she had to wager what she did to protect her from losing to James if he doubled up. It was a smart wager by him.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #28
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabash View Post
I thought you might say because James only bet $1399, that makes it look like he didn’t want to win. I didn’t see the clip but I’m guessing the 3rd place contestant had about $11,000, so James was guarding against losing to him Incase he got the answer wrong. He knew his only chance to beat the leader was if she got the answer wrong. And she had to wager what she did to protect her from losing to James if he doubled up. It was a smart wager by him.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #29
woodbinepmi

There was a report that came out that he has been hounded by his daughter that she wants him back home, also he will be back for the Tournament of Champions. The small amount he bet in final jeopardy was a head scratcher also, not to think in terms a conspiracy but could he might have made a bet on himself not to pass Jenning's top amount? He is a professional gambler.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #30
Wabash

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
There was a report that came out that he has been hounded by his daughter that she wants him back home, also he will be back for the Tournament of Champions. The small amount he bet in final jeopardy was a head scratcher also, not to think in terms a conspiracy but could he might have made a bet on himself not to pass Jenning's top amount? He is a professional gambler.
He still would not have passed Jennings even if he went all in. He bet what he did to protect against losing to the guy in 3rd like I stated above.