Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #16
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Okay I will bite. What was extremely foolish about the post? The exacta was clearly hammered paying $23.60 when it should have been in the $40 to $44 range. Something else? I realize this is probably beneath you, but if you are going to call someones post foolish, you should back it up with something.
If anyone actually analyzed the betting in that race, they would have seen that the massively overbet favorite in the win pool was nowhere near 6:5 in exotics. They might even go further and wonder why that was and why there haven't been significant late odds swings here over the last couple of weeks. But, when people just complain without noticing any differences, I guess that's what happens.

Regardless, picking out one five horse field on a sensational card, during a meet that has had sensational racing, seems like a poor way to analyze the overall betting opportunities being offered. It's hard to make money here because the racing is very complicated and requires, at the very least, a ton of work to decipher, and even then it's hard to win. I like the challenge. Some may disagree, and that's fine, but distilling what's going on here to one five horse field where the exacta pool differed significantly from the win pool hardly seems fair....at least to me.

By the way, thanks for the undeserved insults.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
Jayhawk6191
Having Fun

Sprints on the Dirt, excluding 2yos & off-turf, are being dominated by the chalk. Good luck finding a winner at 4-1 or higher
Jayhawk6191 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #18
Karakorum Kabbage
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I don't see any insult in Poindexter's post (let alone more than one), all he did was ask for an explanation as to why you derided a post, which you then provided. I'm sure Poindexter appreciates it.

I had a nice saver bet on the 36-1 2yo Medaglia d'Oro filly in the 6th yesterday (liked the 5F work pattern and felt it was a wide open race), so my bankroll got a much needed boost that will carry me into next weekend.
Karakorum Kabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
castaway01

It's been a fun meet to bet and I'm actually ahead for the meet, which happens about once a century for me at Saratoga, so I can't complain.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #20
Poindexter

Quote:
If anyone actually analyzed the betting in that race, they would have seen that the massively overbet favorite in the win pool was nowhere near 6:5 in exotics. They might even go further and wonder why that was and why there haven't been significant late odds swings here over the last couple of weeks. But, when people just complain without noticing any differences, I guess that's what happens.

Regardless, picking out one five horse field on a sensational card, during a meet that has had sensational racing, seems like a poor way to analyze the overall betting opportunities being offered. It's hard to make money here because the racing is very complicated and requires, at the very least, a ton of work to decipher, and even then it's hard to win. I like the challenge. Some may disagree, and that's fine, but distilling what's going on here to one five horse field where the exacta pool differed significantly from the win pool hardly seems fair....at least to me.

Did not insult you. Didn't understand why you called the post foolish, when the point about the exacta paying well below what it should have was valid. Your explanation was excellent and had that been your initial response, that would have been great.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #21
the little guy

Quote:
Did not insult you. Didn't understand why you called the post foolish, when the point about the exacta paying well below what it should have was valid. Your explanation was excellent and had that been your initial response, that would have been great.
You did insult me....but at least you made up for it by being condescending, so there's that
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #22
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
I realize this is probably beneath you, but if you are going to call someones post foolish, you should back it up with something.
Poindexter!....How could you make such "insulting" comments to TLG??.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #23
classhandicapper

The most interesting thing about that race was not the win pool and exacta prices. It was the ALW field Newbomb came out of. To me it looked like one of the highest quality and deepest NW1 races I've seen in a very long time.

The first horse out of the race (Wudda You ThinkNow) ran a dud next out, but that was on the slop after being a bit fractious. Now Newbomb has come back and won very impressively. That supports the idea that the top few out of that race could be pretty special horses down the line. The race earned a fast figure. So there won't be any value in that information. But it's something to look forward to as a fan.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-09-2021 at 07:28 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #24
Poindexter

Quote:
You did insult me....but at least you made up for it by being condescending, so there's that

Okay. You keep on with the sny one liners. Very professional.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:01 PM   #25
paulbenny

PROBABLY PAYS 60 WITH THE FAVORITE

The exacta was paying 64 last flash with the choice and the longshot. I had the exacta, and was miffed why it was so short. That was really questionable, but someone hammered it. The pool was about 390K or so, and I have not done the calculation, but it was way out of whack, it is not WRD, it is SAR.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #26
jimmyb

Here is a link for the current meet trainer standings. Some less than high profile trainers with high win percentages.

https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/leaders/trainers
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #27
The_Turf_Monster

Saratoga is like Groundhog Day for me. The weather perks up at belmont and I start to get excited for saratoga. And like clockwork, I am consistent at Saratoga. Not necessarily in the black, but consistent. At the end of it, I get excited for Keeneland where I continue my run of consistency and seemingly never finding a day where I’m ahead
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Okay. You keep on with the sny one liners. Very professional.
snide?
Old 08-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #29
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
snide?
That's the correct word.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #30
delfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
The exacta was paying 64 last flash with the choice and the longshot. I had the exacta, and was miffed why it was so short. That was really questionable, but someone hammered it. The pool was about 390K or so, and I have not done the calculation, but it was way out of whack, it is not WRD, it is SAR.
the favorite was off for a year so he probably needed that race. the winner Newbomb probably should have been favored in that race.
but ya, ex payout was $5 to $10 less than what it should have been.

But not if you take into account what paulbenny said about ex probables being $64 with a 5-6. 5 horse race, you can't expect big exacta. plus 6 horse was 11.5-1. not 30-1

the biggest story from Saturday Saratoga was Luis Saez

the only jock on the day with multiple winners.
3 in fact from 8 starters.
with a 5.10 place price in the 2nd
delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply