Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
chrisforbes
FemaleJockeys

Most Money You Spent On A Bet

Just curious for some of you out there...what was the most money you spent on one bet and more importantly...did you win and if so how much moolah...

chris forbes
chrisforbes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
DeltaLover

The largest single bet I have placed during this decade has to be a win bet on Gio Ponti when he won the Arlington Million at 2-1 if memory serves me well. I had on him twelve hundred.

The largest total bet I can remember right now, was on Mambo In Seattle when he came second to Colonel John in the Travers. My bet was multiple times more than what I bet on Gio Ponti. Unfortunately I did not cash a single ticket. I did not believe Colonel John could win the race, loosing all of my bets. I remember I had placed the bet while playing poker in Taj Mahal ....
Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
UnionRags

Supper99 $1750 to win in rebel.
UnionRags is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
stringmail

Years ago I bet $300 on Presto Adios. Obscure allowance horse/useful claimer-type at GGF/BM. He went off at 7-1 and got caught right at the wire. I watched the replay and saw the eventual winner bull his way out of pack at top of stretch to create room. Days later I was reading the Form and saw jock on the winner got days for reckless riding. Salt in the wound.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
lamboguy

i was part of a 20 member group that bought out the pick 6 @ Palm Beach Hai Alai back in the early 80's. we spent $520,000 and the payoff was $992,000

i bet a whole bunch to show on Madaglia d'oro in a 5 horse field in Oaklawn and had the whole race hedged out so i couldn't lose. if Madaglia d'oro happened to run out i would have made more money. back then Oaklawn minimum payoff was $2.20 and i got a 9% rebate from the place that i made the bet on credit. back then the place that made the bet for me was not responsible for the minus pool, unlike today where the adw has to pay for the negative breakage due to net pool pricing.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Mike at A+
Software Developer

My motto has always been "Bet small, collect big". I hate chalk and would rather have one $20 winner in a day than five $4.00 winners. That said, several years ago (1988 if memory serves me correctly) I was having a real crappy week at Saratoga. I was recently married and up there with my wife and my parents. After about the 6th. race on our last day, I bet the rest of the card and gave the tickets to my dad to either cash for me or rip up. The biggest bet was $150 to win on a horse named "Post Tense". We drove back to our hotel and heard the results on TV and sure enough it won and paid $18.00 which made my week. These days, I bet much smaller concentrating on the 10 cent superfecta. I look for one horse I really like going off at 10/1 odds or more and key it over the entire field. In an 8 horse field, the bet costs $21. In a 9 horse field, $33.60. Ten horses, $50.40. Eleven, $72.00. Etc, etc. It's great when your key horse wins and one or more longshots complete the superfecta. It's possible to take down the entire pool using this strategy and I almost did once at Delaware where I won and there was only one other dime bet that cashed so I split the whole pool with one other person.
Mike at A+ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
house pic

hahaha, Something similar.. a diamond ring..
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Grits

Dan, there's is NO WAY this can be topped--unless the farm went with it. Priceless!!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
HUSKER55

If the farm went with it...did you remember to raise the price of your chickens???

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
thaskalos

The biggest horse racing bet I've ever made was the $3,500 I wagered on the 2004 Kentucky Derby...$2,500 of which were bet on Smarty Jones to win. I caught the trifecta and the superfecta in the race...and collected about $55,000 overall.

The biggest bet I've ever made was later that year, when Greece won the European Championship in soccer. I was able to parlay a $500 bet into $20,000 while betting on Greece leading up to the finals (I think I got 9/1 odds when Greece beat France)...and then I bet $15,000 on Greece to beat Portugal in the finals, while getting 3-1 odds. I bet the other $5,000 on the draw.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The biggest bet I've ever made was later that year, when Greece won the European Championship in soccer.
I will probably never forgive myself for missing this one!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
SharpCat

My single biggest wager was a $1400 exacta at Tampa Bay. It paid $16 and I collected $11,200 at the window.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

My largest bet was $1,000 in "Off Topics"...........still haven't been able to collect on that one. Guy went into witness protection or something.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
My largest bet was $1,000 in "Off Topics"...........still haven't been able to collect on that one. Guy went into witness protection or something.
if you would have lost i am sure that guy would have collected. i wouldn't bet him unless he had his money up, he didn't want to play that way, so i knew he was just blowing smoke.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply