Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 09:24 PM   #1
thetripleclowns

Flightline vs. Candy Ride-Pacific Classic

The Triple Clowns compare the Pacific Classic races of undefeated Flightline (2022) and undefeated Candy Ride (2003).

What are your thoughts?

thetripleclowns is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #2
GMB@BP

Flightline by a handful of lengths. Candy Ride was really good but this horse is better.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2022, 09:42 PM   #3
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Flightline by a handful of lengths. Candy Ride was really good but this horse is better.
It's actually a decent analogy and a helluva lot closer than most think. Certainly better than comparing him to Secretariat.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It's actually a decent analogy and a helluva lot closer than most think. Certainly better than comparing him to Secretariat.
Comparing him to Secretariat is always going to be foolish at this stage, it might not be if he runs a bunch more, he appears to run at a level that has not been seen in a long time.

On straight figures he is rated with say Gentleman but if I am betting I feel like he beats that horse and its not all that close.

Candy Ride was very good, he was a few lengths better than MDO, who was a really good horse, I think this horse drowns MDO at 10F.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:24 PM   #5
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Comparing him to Secretariat is always going to be foolish at this stage, it might not be if he runs a bunch more, he appears to run at a level that has not been seen in a long time.

On straight figures he is rated with say Gentleman but if I am betting I feel like he beats that horse and its not all that close.

Candy Ride was very good, he was a few lengths better than MDO, who was a really good horse, I think this horse drowns MDO at 10F.
The argument that Medaglia D'Oro was not a 10F horse is BADLY flawed. His BC Classic, when he lost to Pleasantly Perfect, was a brilliant effort given the pace. Was Flightline better? I don't know. He ran one amazing race. Medaglia D'Oro had a long and great career.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
The argument that Medaglia D'Oro was not a 10F horse is BADLY flawed. His BC Classic, when he lost to Pleasantly Perfect, was a brilliant effort given the pace. Was Flightline better? I don't know. He ran one amazing race. Medaglia D'Oro had a long and great career.
thats a fair statement at this stage...trying to project a little bit to make the comparisons.

of course raw talent and accomplishment are two different things.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
Candy Ride hounding and putting away Medaglia D'Oro, Medaglia D'Oro stride-for-stride with Congaree, Gentleman holding off Skip Away, Skip Away dusting Formal Gold and vice versa.

These races pale in comparison to Flightline running away from Extra Hope (and Baby Yoda).

It'll be hilarious when Life is Good wins the Woodward by open lengths and Laurel River wins the Awesome Again by a pole and both opt for the BC Undercard Mile.

I guess there's always Happy Saver...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2022, 11:20 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Candy Ride hounding and putting away Medaglia D'Oro, Medaglia D'Oro stride-for-stride with Congaree, Gentleman holding off Skip Away, Skip Away dusting Formal Gold and vice versa.

These races pale in comparison to Flightline running away from Extra Hope (and Baby Yoda).

It'll be hilarious when Life is Good wins the Woodward by open lengths and Laurel River wins the Awesome Again by a pole and both opt for the BC Undercard Mile.

there is no reason to do that with Life is Good. I can see it with Laurel River. I was in the paddock for the Pat O Brian and that horse looks so good I had to bet him (redboard I know) and how a horse looks is not something I usually do.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:36 PM   #9
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post

Life is Good will retire before he runs in the Mile again. I guess there's an argument he will train up to the Classic, in the hopes that Flightline doesn't make it, and then come up with a race day injury to avoid losing. However, my guess is he runs in the Classic...and loses.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:09 AM   #10
KirisClown

Candy Ride never did a thing wrong. He did run away from Medaglia D'oro, who is an hour better than anyone Flightline has ever beaten. I read a post in an insane asylum forum saying Flightline is possibly the best horse ever. The hype is a little nauseating.

KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #11
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown View Post
Candy Ride never did a thing wrong. He did run away from Medaglia D'oro, who is an hour better than anyone Flightline has ever beaten. I read a post in an insane asylum forum saying Flightline is possibly the best horse ever. The hype is a little nauseating.

shiny new object syndrome...but he is really good.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:04 AM   #12
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetripleclowns View Post
What are your thoughts?
https://www.equibase.com/profiles/Re...kes&stkid=1834

idk if equibase changed the number but contrary to the video (around the 4:00 min mark) they have a 128 for flightline, who also ran the raw time without lasix.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2022, 05:19 AM   #13
westernmassbob

I noticed the similarities right away with the tiny field sizes. These races should have a minimum of 8 starters. IMO the wins seem less impressive with the field sizes. Nonetheless two very good horses.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2022, 06:44 AM   #14
Andy Asaro

Flightline would smoke Candy Ride and Candy Ride was an outstanding horse. Saw him run in person a couple of times.

Other than number of races at this point he is easily comparable in ability to Secretariat or any other horse in history. He wasn't close to being all out in the Pacific Classic and they say he will probably race next year and we'll see what happens.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #15
classhandicapper

Life Is Good is running in the Woodward.

I so hope they meet in the Classic because I think LIG is the faster horse. That sets up an interesting test. Flightline has a tendency to pull. I want to see if he can try to engage LIG early and if successful get the 10F comfortably.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: