Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
In my mind, he was pretty much the last of the great "retro" type announcers. Guys who weren't looking to "put on a show" in the announcers booth (not that there is anything wrong with that). Guys who weren't screaming at the end of a race call.

"Just the facts ma'am" is kinda what I would call it.

It was a style for another era. At least that's how I saw it.
Marshall and Harry Henson for me fit that role. They were true public address announcers. When the on track product was the focus rather than play by play guys which became more in vogue with the expansion of simulcasting.

Some announcers have what I call a "big racetrack" feel to them. Marshall was certainly one of those. When you heard his voice you instantly knew what he was describing was very important and elite.

RIP

We were all very LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY to hear him.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 02-09-2021 at 10:32 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #17
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post

Some announcers have what I call a "big racetrack" feel to them. Marshall was certainly one of those. When you heard his voice you instantly knew what he was describing was very important and elite.
I agree with this and one reason for this may be that unlike many announcers, he really never had any gigs at minor tracks that I know of before the NYRA job. He became the assistant announcer in his 20's, and graduated into the main job at 33 after Chic Anderson died young. So when you heard his voice, it was really associated with NYRA and big televised races, and only NYRA and big televised races. In that sense, he may have been the ultimate "big racetrack" announcer.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I loved his calls when "Tora Tora Tora" was in the race!
Old 02-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #19
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Marshall Cassidy was my favorite announcer of all time, very few announcers could cut through a large field in rapid fire succession like he could. Hearing his voice reminds me of my youth.

The video below is classic Marshall Cassidy. Almost like an announcing auctioneer:

Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #20
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I loved his calls when "Tora Tora Tora" was in the race!
Bodacious Ta-Ta's was pretty good too.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #21
thespaah

I remember the untimely passing of Chic Anderson who held the NYRA lead announcer position and Marshall Cassidy taking the ob. It took me a while to get used to Mr Cassidy's style. It grew on me. Mr Cassidy was a classic professional.
RIP...
"New York's Horse of the Year EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEasy Goer...IN FRONT!"
RIP
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #22
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Marshall Cassidy was my favorite announcer of all time, very few announcers could cut through a large field in rapid fire succession like he could. Hearing his voice reminds me of my youth.

The video below is classic Marshall Cassidy. Almost like an announcing auctioneer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Biq1QjN-Ijc
Wow...
And accurate as anyone..
Old 02-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #23
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
I remember the untimely passing of Chic Anderson who held the NYRA lead announcer position and Marshall Cassidy taking the ob. It took me a while to get used to Mr Cassidy's style. It grew on me. Mr Cassidy was a classic professional.
RIP...
"New York's Horse of the Year EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEasy Goer...IN FRONT!"
RIP
Memorable...

"Conquistador Cielo, complete control of this Belmont stakes, has the field by 15 lengths, maybe 20 lengths!"

The Belmonts for Woody, man those were good stuff, I was lucky enough to cash on Danzig Connection, I figured after four in a row who else can you bet? "Danzig Connection now draws clear, this is going to be the fifth Belmont for Woody Stephens..."

Those calls from Cassidy are literally seared into my brain.

Last edited by MJC922; 02-19-2021 at 07:11 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #24
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Marshall and Harry Henson for me fit that role. They were true public address announcers. When the on track product was the focus rather than play by play guys which became more in vogue with the expansion of simulcasting.

RIP

We were all very LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY to hear him.
Like the reference to Lucky Lucky Lucky...
I happened to be there for that horse's upset win.
It was a Marlboro Cup under card stake.
Took my in laws to the track ( native New Yorkers) for their first ever visit to a horse racing facility.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #25
Milkshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Biq1QjN-Ijc
Yep, this was a great representative Marshall call--whipping through a 15-horse field multiple times, plus you get the "IN FRONT!" call at the wire. Love it.

Bonus periodic details in the background--jammed parking lot on the first turn, plus the wider-angle shot of the old neighborhood down the backstretch.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2021, 11:41 PM   #26
Senditin

I would dial the stretch call results at 212-976-2121 to hear him call my winning horse "in front" crossing the wire. This is sad to hear. My NY OTB years in the 80's were dominated by Marshall Cassidy & Ross Morton race calls. The fun years of NY OTB will always be in my memory forever.
Senditin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply