Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
mountainman

"Handicapper"

The term somehow doesn't fit anybody anymore. Aside from its complete inapplicability to the process of sizing up a horserace, the label stands as a prominent example of the non-descriptive antiquity characterizing so many racing terms.

Perhaps the word is too general in tracing back to an era when astute horseplayers attempted some mild, perfectly proportioned blend of selection factors, and sought to find "correct answers," as opposed to considering and weighing for value any number of scenarios and potential results.

Or maybe the term "handicapper" is BOTH too general AND too limiting in summing up the multitude of unique approaches and specialized insights arrived at and utilized by sharp players nowadays.

Or perhaps it just sounds arrogant when applied to oneself. And I admit those who do so conjure images for me of some pompous dictator (of a country the size of Toledo) pinning gaudy, ridiculous medals and applying ridiculous titles to himself (picture Larry Storch from F Troop in this guise).

In fact, it's a kind of "tell" with me. That is, if you call yourself, or anyone else, for that matter, a "handicapper," you are probably a poser.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-19-2020 at 01:28 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
Clocker

Quote:
Definition of handicapper

1 : a person who assigns handicaps

2 : a person who predicts the winners in a contest (such as a horse race)
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/handicapper
Old 02-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #3
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I would bet money the definition was adjusted to fit the term's usage. Not visa-versa. And would further wager that its origins in racing trace back to practices or thought processes inapplicable to modern racing.

tx for the response. I expected sharply dissenting views.

And fwiw, most guys I 've known who refer to themselves as "handicappers" are complete posers. But of course there are plenty of exceptions, lots of them right here on the forum. To me, the word smacks, at least slightly, of a certain amateurism.

Officialdom serves as a great example of the word's deceptive, outdated nature. The "track handicapper," for instance, is not a talking head who goes on air, or even the track oddsmaker. It's the person who weights handicap races. And I do speak from experience, here, having filled all three of those roles for a minimum of two-decades apiece.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-19-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I could, of course, be completely off base with my opinion on this matter.

It's getting late, and I'm heading to my room to watch an episode, or two, of Vikings. Enjoy the rest of your night, sir,

Last edited by mountainman; 02-19-2020 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:57 AM   #5
thaskalos

I too loath the word "handicapper"...and have spent many years in search of a better word to use when describing what I consider to be the main element of what I do in life. And I have done no better than the word "horseplayer"...in spite of the grief levied upon me by our former poster "Traynor"...who took exception to the "frivolity" implied by the term.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-19-2020 at 03:02 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2020, 03:43 AM   #6
classhandicapper

I think of handicappers as people that makes an odd lines for every horse in every race either for a track, book making purposes, or for gambling purposes.

I think the term has spread to mean people that make public selections.

I think of myself as a "gambler" that puts a lot of work into finding horses that are either better or worse than the prevailing public opinion (including people that make influential public selections) and that will go off at odds that are out of line with the horse's true chances of winning (but without making an odds line for every horse).

I'm basically building a "horses and races to watch list" for possible "bets", "bets against" and "scenarios" where I think the public tends to screw up and then just evaluating whether the horses I'm interested in are spotted appropriately to take advantage of that when they come back. I don't consider that handicapping in the purest sense of the word, but others might.

I used to do the same thing when I used to bet basketball more frequently.

I might know that team "x" has consistently played poorly when their starting PG is out, but since he's not a big name player or scorer, the line doesn't move as much as it should. That's more of an insight than handicapping the game.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-19-2020 at 03:48 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2020, 04:02 AM   #7
thaskalos

In my way of thinking...there is a distinct separation between a "handicapper", and a "bettor". I picture the "handicapper" as strictly a researcher...perhaps in partnership with someone else who does the actual betting. Put the two elements together...and you get a HORSEPLAYER, in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
In my way of thinking...there is a distinct separation between a "handicapper", and a "bettor". I picture the "handicapper" as strictly a researcher...perhaps in partnership with someone else who does the actual betting. Put the two elements together...and you get a HORSEPLAYER, in my opinion.
The guys I hang out with at simulcast would no more refer to you as a "handicapper" than mob guys would refer to their own brethren as "part of the mafia." They would simply term you a "very sharp guy and serious player."
Old 02-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
The term somehow doesn't fit anybody anymore. Aside from its complete inapplicability to the process of sizing up a horserace, the label stands as a prominent example of the non-descriptive antiquity characterizing so many racing terms.

In fact, it's a kind of "tell" with me. That is, if you call yourself, or anyone else, for that matter, a "handicapper," you are probably a poser.

I know as little about how 'weight' actually affects performance, as most 'handicappers'.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
judehaz

I agree with comments above that horseplayer is a more accurate word - one who plays the horses. I think folks like Mark should be considered professional commentators. On the other end of the spectrum, I also love the cheeky British term "punter" as a catch-all for one who gambles.
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
Milkshaker

Quote:
The only self title that is more pompous in our game is is "professional handicapper."
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Two names apply - winner and loser.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #13
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by judehaz View Post
I think folks like Mark should be considered professional commentators.
I've never known exactly WHAT to term what I do. I usually go with "analyst," but avoid any label at all when possible. The show follows suit in that , although we sometimes give it the generic title "simulcast show," it actually HAS no name. And I like it that way. I am what I am and do what I do.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I've never known exactly WHAT to term what I do. I usually go with "analyst," but avoid any label at all when possible. The show follows suit in that , although we sometimes give it the generic title "simulcast show," it actually HAS no name. And I like it that way. I am what I am and do what I do.
Oh, then call it Seinfeld!
Old 02-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

gambler-investor spectrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
'Horseplayer' seems fine to me.

And, even with good points made about 'handicapper' being a bit out-dated and less universally embraced, I still don't exactly sneer or cringe at the use of 'handicapper'.

Handicapper has a legit history of usage and a broad audience.

'Horse Bettor' is a logical fit, and it is similar to 'Sports Bettor'. I like 'Horseplayer' a bit better, just the same...

Horseplayers/handicappers/horse-bettors seem to be interchangeable, and in a more general description, fall into the spectrum somewhere between;

(Gambler)<------------------------------->(Investor)

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-21-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply