Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #31
jim michalak

Smile early pace, sorted by bris speed points

how did you come up with that? is it software? that looks incredibly useful. whatever mechanism you are using can you pick from various pacelines and compare them? thanks for your help, picsix.
jim michalak is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #32
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Run Style explanation...

Attached Images
File Type: png Run Style.PNG (117.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #33
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim michalak View Post
how did you come up with that? is it software? that looks incredibly useful. whatever mechanism you are using can you pick from various pacelines and compare them? thanks for your help, picsix.
I download the data (single file format) from BRIS into Excel where I display and sort the fields I want to look at.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #34
46zilzal
velocitician

Given that the vast majority of turfers (longer than 6 to 6.5 f) are simply a contest of who can run fastest from the 2nd call to the wire, WHICH crowds the field into all making their "moves" in the same section of the race, WHICH almost guarantees a situation where the TRIP trumps the pace, I have been looking at a novel idea.

I don't play turf because of the traffic jams, BUT I have discovered an interesting phenomenon that often suggests who will be MOST LIKELY out of the traffic jam and who will have to be lucky enough to get through. I am reviewing many records to see if it comes up often enough to be a worthwhile angle to consider.

I have found that OFTEN the horses with the best TURF f1's that also have good SP or LP rankings often break and gain position ahead of the field, so when the group all uncorks their final fraction runs (usually, but not always a rather sluggish 2nd fraction), these are often OUT OF TROUBLE enough to be able to move their SP or LP without those traffic jams.

At first I did not pay it much mind, but it has occurred so frequently, I think it deserves more study...

Opinions?
Old 02-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #35
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Given that the vast majority of turfers (longer than 6 to 6.5 f) are simply a contest of who can run fastest from the 2nd call to the wire, WHICH crowds the field into all making their "moves" in the same section of the race, WHICH almost guarantees a situation where the TRIP trumps the pace, I have been looking at a novel idea.

I don't play turf because of the traffic jams, BUT I have discovered an interesting phenomenon that often suggests who will be MOST LIKELY out of the traffic jam and who will have to be lucky enough to get through. I am reviewing many records to see if it comes up often enough to be a worthwhile angle to consider.

I have found that OFTEN the horses with the best TURF f1's that also have good SP or LP rankings often break and gain position ahead of the field, so when the group all uncorks their final fraction runs (usually, but not always a rather sluggish 2nd fraction), these are often OUT OF TROUBLE enough to be able to move their SP or LP without those traffic jams.

At first I did not pay it much mind, but it has occurred so frequently, I think it deserves more study...

Opinions?
I have worked on the turf puzzle for the better part of the last 40 years...and I still remain as confused as I was as a youngster. There isn't a single turf handicapping component that I haven't thoroughly investigated...and none of them have satisfied me in any way, shape or form. So disenchanted have I become with turf racing that I am now considering becoming a bookie and accepting only the turf-race wagers of whatever horseplayers I happen to meet. I don't see how such a venture could fail...even if I offer a generous rebate. If you can't beat them...then you ought to join them, I say.

Good luck on your own turf investigation...but I wouldn't bet on your success chances.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #36
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Good luck on your own turf investigation...but I wouldn't bet on your success chances.
Thanks, but I am NOT holding my breath so far as I think it may just of limited use
Old 02-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #37
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I have worked on the turf puzzle for the better part of the last 40 years...and I still remain as confused as I was as a youngster. There isn't a single turf handicapping component that I haven't thoroughly investigated...and none of them have satisfied me in any way, shape or form. So disenchanted have I become with turf racing that I am now considering becoming a bookie and accepting only the turf-race wagers of whatever horseplayers I happen to meet. I don't see how such a venture could fail...even if I offer a generous rebate. If you can't beat them...then you ought to join them, I say.

We have similar feelings on the matter.

Speed figures and class comparisons get you into the ballpark, but if you understand how turf speed figures they are made, you quickly realize they aren't really speed figures at all. They are often best guesses based on prior figures which were of course also often best guesses to begin with.

Among very lightly raced maidens and ALW horses where less data is available to work with they are occasionally so ridiculously wrong it's laughable. Big changes are often made as horses come back out of the races.

I think the "key" is probably building a model that's some combination of the horse getting good position turning for home without being used too hard and then the ability to finish fast. But the "ability to finish fast" is very difficult to measure because it's dependent on the fractions and energy consumed before that last 1/4 mile or so to begin with.

So finding a formula that correctly accounts for how much energy the horse used early, how fast he finished, translating that into a rating, and wondering if this specific horse fits into some standard generalized model is borderline mind numbing.

I make very few big bets on turf.

I more or less "class" handicap them and just glance at the speed figures. I am looking for horses that have been competing well at the current class or higher to identify the contenders.

Then I'm looking for spectacular bursts of late speed, especially if that horse was the only one gaining ground and running fast at the end of a race.

I still look at probable race flow today, but it carries way less weight with me on turf.

Overall, I've probably done better in recent years than I used to, but my confidence level is way lower. I can't bring myself to punch a big ticket unless there's some horse I absolutely hate in the race for some reason. Then the bet is less about my ability to find the right horse(s) to bet on but who to toss.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I started a thread - The Endevour, Tamp Bay Race 8
Let's handicap it - a 1m16 race on turf, Gr 3 for FM 4up.

Post time 3.59 pm
Old 02-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #39
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

FG OP TAM 2/15
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FG.2.15.RacePace.pdf (314.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf OP.2.15.RacePace.pdf (259.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf TAM.2.15.RacePace.pdf (274.0 KB, 12 views)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: