Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #181
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #182
jay68802

I would completely honor any boycott. I would be willing to go to any wagering site in Nebraska and promote the boycott in person, distribute flyers and be vocal about it. I would stand in front of tellers and try to stop people from wagering until I was asked to leave. (I figure %10 of my bankroll can be set aside for bail just in case.)

Some ideas thoughts:

Boycott should be focused on just 1 or 2 races, not a whole meet.

Does not have to be at Keenland, any place will do.

Would love to see some known names actively participating. As they say any publicity is good publicity.

Any one can contact me for help, i will do what i can.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #183
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Seeing how the NTRA is funded by the tracks for the benefit of the tracks it would seem unlikely that they would comment about a raise in takeout rates.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #184
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
.....Boycott should be focused on just 1 or 2 races, not a whole meet......
By focusing on 1 or 2 races you are essentially accepting the rate increase. By not betting any of the races you are drawing a line in the sand.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #185
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Seeing how the NTRA is funded by the tracks for the benefit of the tracks it would seem unlikely that they would comment about a raise in takeout rates.
She's being sarcastic. NTRA gets a lot of hits over what they've done with tournaments and takeout in them. I don't know much more than that.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #186
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
By focusing on 1 or 2 races you are essentially accepting the rate increase. By not betting any of the races you are drawing a line in the sand.
Trying to keep a boycott going for a whole meet is unsustainable, and it can not be measured. By focusing on 1 or 2 races, or maybe 1 weekend, the effect on handle should be noticed, and the same point is made.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #187
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Trying to keep a boycott going for a whole meet is unsustainable, and it can not be measured. By focusing on 1 or 2 races, or maybe 1 weekend, the effect on handle should be noticed, and the same point is made.
If you want change handle has to go down 25% or more. Then they'll get it.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #188
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
If you want change handle has to go down 25% or more. Then they'll get it.
You are right, the decrease in handle has to be significant. But sustaining that for a significant time is the challenge. It can be done, but at this time the organization for a event like that is not in place. Make the point in a day or a weekend and then horse players can point to that and say "look at what we can do".
Old 08-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #189
AndyC

Quote:
Why? If I don't like the price of something why would it be hard to avoid buying it? I think tracks believe that addicted gamblers will play at any price. Hopefully there are enough gamblers that are addiction-free to make a difference.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #190
lamboguy

Keeneland wants you to pay 11 or 12% to make a win bet and about 15% to play an exacta because they WERE doing big pools.

no thank you Keeneland, i will just rake the leaves on my lawn when you run in October. good luck to Keeneland
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #191
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
HANA did call for a boycott of California racing one year, which seemed like a good thing for horseplayers. It seemed at first the boycott worked, but it kind of fizzled out. It's really hard to maintain momentum. For the most part, HANA has been somewhat of a toothless tiger. They've never really played hardball and playing hard is what it takes to change a culture.
I'm not sure what more we could've done and I wouldn't say it fizzled out. Handle was off over 200M and it's never recovered. Everything we said would happen, happened, including the handle drop and purse cuts. Nothing changed despite all that.

HANA gets a lot of grief every time something negative happens but who else would've publicized and brought about a boycott of that magnitude? It's not like we can just tell all our members to stop playing somewhere.

The tracks have made their position clear and have even said it word for word. If you don't like it, don't play. It's on each horseplayer to decide if they don't like it enough to not play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Changing a culture is really, really, hard.
Exactly
Old 08-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #192
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
+1

We should also get the message to tourney sites and vow to boycott their tourney's if they include Keeneland.
Contest players play 30% rake NHC qualifiers to win an NHC seat valued at 10K but worth less than 5K. They're the last people that will boycott based on takeout.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #193
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125 View Post

HANA gets a lot of grief every time something negative happens but who else would've publicized and brought about a boycott of that magnitude? It's not like we can just tell all our members to stop playing somewhere.
Kind of goes with the territory, no?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #194
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Kind of goes with the territory, no?
It really shouldn't, no. Just shows that the horseplayer segment of racing is just as dysfunctional as the rest of it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #195
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125 View Post
It really shouldn't, no. Just shows that the horseplayer segment of racing is just as dysfunctional as the rest of it.
Charlie at this point HANA has to make an effort. You took the responsibility in 2010. The "it's not your job" after this Keeneland thing doesn't cut it IMO