Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #106
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans1127
RTN via the website has a 5 second delay I would say. No different than any ADW or even being at an OTB. RTN via Roku is about 45 seconds to a minute. Same with the NYRA channel. NYRA's website is pretty much the same 5 second delay you would get at an OTB.
I can confirm the 45 seconds to a minute on Roku as I just got it setup today. That's independent of track fyi, they're all delayed.

Pretty ridiculous really and makes it useless to me. The minute before the race goes off is when I place my bets.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #107
titans1127
Harness racing Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
I can confirm the 45 seconds to a minute on Roku as I just got it setup today. That's independent of track fyi, they're all delayed.

Pretty ridiculous really and makes it useless to me. The minute before the race goes off is when I place my bets.
I find it easier and more convenient to plug my laptop into the monitor on my desk vs using the Roku hooked up to the same monitor.
titans1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #108
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125

Frustrating. Was on track today. Counted 4 new people who asked me how to watch a race via the "computer".

Stupid management. They have no idea how much they're screwing this game.

45 second delay is unacceptable.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #109
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Frustrating. Was on track today. Counted 4 new people who asked me how to watch a race via the "computer".

Jesus Christ. You do understand the delay isn't NYRA. First of all "live" television has a 7-15 second delay. Nothing is really live. Second off you can't stream anything live online. The IT infrastructure sucks in this country. On TVG's app they actually have a warning on the video page on their app that the video is 30 seconds delayed. It's closer to 20-30 seconds but the reason isnt because TVG sucks they're tied to the infrastructure.

Second the delay you are referencing is most likely more your equipment and the speed of your connection. Basically I doubt your laptop and your isp can handle the feed. So it's probably buffering. Which would mean the delay gets longer the longer you watch. You've actually mentioned this in one of the 4,000 posts you've made on this topic. Layer on top of it you're probably not knowable enough to periodically close the program or device you're watching it and the re-open it or re-launch it to minimize the delay.

You know how I rant about how you guys see racetrack operators as a catch all for all racing related problems. This is one of those moments.

Basically NYRA sucks because you dont know what you're doing and the IT infrastructure in this country isn't Korea. NYRA sucks because my laptop is awful and my internet is slow.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #110
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
Jesus Christ. You do understand the delay isn't NYRA. First of all "live" television has a 7-15 second delay. Nothing is really live. Second off you can't stream anything live online. The IT infrastructure sucks in this country. On TVG's app they actually have a warning on the video page on their app that the video is 30 seconds delayed. It's closer to 20-30 seconds but the reason isnt because TVG sucks they're tied to the infrastructure.

Second the delay you are referencing is most likely more your equipment and the speed of your connection. Basically I doubt your laptop and your isp can handle the feed. So it's probably buffering. Which would mean the delay gets longer the longer you watch. You've actually mentioned this in one of the 4,000 posts you've made on this topic. Layer on top of it you're probably not knowable enough to periodically close the program or device you're watching it and the re-open it or re-launch it to minimize the delay.

You know how I rant about how you guys see racetrack operators as a catch all for all racing related problems. This is one of those moments.

Basically NYRA sucks because you dont know what you're doing and the IT infrastructure in this country isn't Korea. NYRA sucks because my laptop is awful and my internet is slow.
HUH?

No. My ROKU is on a 45 second lag time. That simple.

Yes, my NYRA channel was only on a 2-4-5 second lag time. I know because I've had the live streaming on (NOT FROM NYRA.COM which is a little laggish) from my nyra rewards feed. I also know because my bets would go in until 2 seconds before the off.

What are YOU not understanding? Frustrating for me as well...
Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #111
Charli125

Quote:

Nobody is blaming this on NYRA and I specifically stated that it was ALL TRACKS, it's an RTN/ROKU thing. ROKU is delayed by almost a minute more than watching RTN on my computer. RTN on my computer is barely delayed at all and is a good 10+ seconds ahead of TVG. It's not our equipment, it's the streaming services we're working with. If I want as close to live as possible, I just stream it through RTN or my ADW and they're a few seconds delayed and identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans1127
I find it easier and more convenient to plug my laptop into the monitor on my desk vs using the Roku hooked up to the same monitor.
Me too, but I was hoping to find a way around this. I have 3 tv's and a monitor in my office setup and I don't want cables running all over the place. Figured since RTN is as fast as you can get for streaming, that it would be the same running it through the ROKU. No such luck.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #112
SG4

Quote:
Real question, not being snarky - how come the races I watch online are several seconds ahead of the TVG television feed? That doesn't mesh with the whole infrastructure rant, unless you think the TVG TV broadcast is quite far behind, which I don't believe (although maybe that would explain why Gulfstream's races always seem to run 5 minutes after their post times). If I can get multiple online streaming services to be as quick as cable TV, I do find it frustrating & questionable as to why other services can't be at that speed as well. Streaming on NYRA Rewards account is about 45 seconds ahead of NYRA streaming on ROKU or mobile device (last time I checked, which granted was awhile ago), it doesn't make sense to me why that should be the case.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #113
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

Perhaps you're taking this the wrong way? If this many people are asking you how to watch the race through the computer doesn't that mean people are adopting to the new methods instead of just walking away from the game? The TV channel was a godsend when it first came on (anyone besides me still have a NYC OTB Channel t-shirt which was sent to early account holders?) & I cherished it for years, but when I lost the channel a few years ago I found alternative methods & betting life has gone on.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2017, 11:44 PM   #114
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4
Perhaps you're taking this the wrong way? If this many people are asking you how to watch the race through the computer doesn't that mean people are adopting to the new methods instead of just walking away from the game? The TV channel was a godsend when it first came on (anyone besides me still have a NYC OTB Channel t-shirt which was sent to early account holders?) & I cherished it for years, but when I lost the channel a few years ago I found alternative methods & betting life has gone on.
1 was a father and son. They bet on track on weekends and via the TV (and telebet) during the week. They asked a teller what their password is for the website. Teller said whatever you use for telebet. Guy spent a week punching in a password instead of a 4 digit pin

I told him its the 4 digit pin on your nyra card. He thanked me and asked if i could show him how to pull up the race. His exact words were: I'm able to sign on and maybe check the MTA website, not much more. Id appreciate the help.

This.......this is what THEY dont GET.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #115
johnhannibalsmith

This doesn't really belong in this thread but it doesn't warrant one of its own and since my patience extends to page one and the new guy asking about mutuel clerks betting was the next closest thing and I didn't want to derail that one so soon in its evolution, so here we are.

How's this for customer satisfaction. At Turf Paradise today and a guy that I assume had never been there and was lucky to have his choice of pretty much any table in the facility to seat himself and the family. At one point he's just pacing the floor between grandstand seating and the cheesy Capitol OTB style partitioned private school desk sized area with a television best used as a paperweight in 2017 all to yourself.

Poor guy is looking mighty lost. I finally catch his eye where I was sitting and he asks "where do I make a bet?" I start to point in the direction of the dozen vacant self-serve machines strewn about but quickly realize he's the sort of guy that's looking for a teller to help him out. So I look there. Nope. Not a teller working the line. Granted, there is usually only one there manning the handful or so of windows that exist for decoration on days which don't feature a Triple Crown race or the Breeder's Cup. But still.

I finally just told the guy they don't want him to bet. Then I cussed like a fool for a few sentences detailing my thoughts on a few choice people. Imagine that, you finally get a new customer not just to bet the horses but to even show up for your live races. And he needs a map and a sherpa to locate a teller with whom he can place a bet. Fantastic work guys.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #116
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
This doesn't really belong in this thread but it doesn't warrant one of its own and since my patience extends to page one and the new guy asking about mutuel clerks betting was the next closest thing and I didn't want to derail that one so soon in its evolution, so here we are.

How's this for customer satisfaction. At Turf Paradise today and a guy that I assume had never been there and was lucky to have his choice of pretty much any table in the facility to seat himself and the family. At one point he's just pacing the floor between grandstand seating and the cheesy Capitol OTB style partitioned private school desk sized area with a television best used as a paperweight in 2017 all to yourself.

Poor guy is looking mighty lost. I finally catch his eye where I was sitting and he asks "where do I make a bet?" I start to point in the direction of the dozen vacant self-serve machines strewn about but quickly realize he's the sort of guy that's looking for a teller to help him out. So I look there. Nope. Not a teller working the line. Granted, there is usually only one there manning the handful or so of windows that exist for decoration on days which don't feature a Triple Crown race or the Breeder's Cup. But still.

I finally just told the guy they don't want him to bet. Then I cussed like a fool for a few sentences detailing my thoughts on a few choice people. Imagine that, you finally get a new customer not just to bet the horses but to even show up for your live races. And he needs a map and a sherpa to locate a teller with whom he can place a bet. Fantastic work guys.
Very frustrating JHB....

Very sorry to hear that. Unacceptable.

If I wrote this, I am sure Superpickle would come in and destroy it as unreasonable. Glad you said it, now he'll ignore it.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #117
elhelmete

whole story at: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/esqu...rk-1201962261/

NBCUniversal will shutter Esquire Network’s linear cable channel and relaunch the brand as a digital-only platform, Variety has learned. The decision to end the cable channel’s operation was spurred by recent negotiations with Charter Communications over a carriage-contract renewal.

Esquire Network was dropped last month from AT&T’s DirecTV and U-Verse services. That move resulted in a loss of 25% of the channel’s subscribers — down from 60 million to 45 million. If Esquire Network were to be dropped by Charter, it would have lost an additional 15 million subscribers, making it no longer viable for Comcast-owned NBCUniversal to continue to operate.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: