Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #31
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash$
Twitter
Grening reporting Zayat has a gut feeling he should retire AP..
I said it as soon as Keen Ice went by..
He could be jumping the gun cause he's likely looking at a body sore , somewhat fatigued AP . likely has a lot going through his mind now, one of which is keeping the the horse safe and sound .The other is , silly for not keeping him up at the Soa right after the Haskell. Doubt that question hasn't come up since he and his son wanted the Travers badly .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #32
sammy the sage

[QUOTE=gracwalk]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
He went to the bottom today, that was a tough race on him.[/QUOTE

AP, looked like he lost some weight when I saw his ribs sticking out.
Funny you say that...Donna said he GAINED 20 lbs between the Haskel & Traver's...still us peons won't know for sure...even the DOGS have more scruples than the horse people...you get their REAL weights before the race...
Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #33
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Different game now. You think the Babe would hit 60 HRs today?
If facing pitchers using the juiced up balls used from 1998-2001, the Babe would probably of smacked 85 homers in a season....

Even though he lost today, I became more impressed with AP today. A very gutty performance in defeat. If he retires now though, I'm still not convinced he's "great" - after all, the horse he beat in the Preakness was coming off a maiden win and was 8th today (Tale of Verve) and the horse he lost to today is 2 for 11 lifetime and had finally won a second race after breaking his maiden almost a year ago.

I hope he stays in training and runs in the Breeder's Cup.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #34
dilanesp

[QUOTE=sammy the sage]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracwalk

Funny you say that...Donna said he GAINED 20 lbs between the Haskel & Traver's...still us peons won't know for sure...even the DOGS have more scruples than the horse people...you get their REAL weights before the race...
Maybe we should hold weigh ins, like boxing.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #35
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Greuling?

I invite you to look at the past performances of War Admiral, Whirlaway, Citation, Secretariat, or Affirmed.
No grueling.

By today's standards yes. I have found that horses in constant training for prolonged periods will lose their edge. Do you think Secretariat was in top condition when he lost to Onion and prove Out?
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #36
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
No grueling.

By today's standards yes. I have found that horses in constant training for prolonged periods will lose their edge. Do you think Secretariat was in top condition when he lost to Onion and prove Out?
Prove Out yes, Onion, maybe.

But it also doesn't matter. He WON a ton of races AP would never get the chance to win. Who cares if he lost a couple?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #37
Tommy Tom

I would for sure rest him and then race again....it is not like he was exposed as a fraud or even embarrassed this afternoon....

What made him lose this afternoon was a cat by the name of Javier Castellano and when you think about it a distance race taking place at Saratoga and the perfect rider for the closer Keen Ice in a long race is none better than Javier.

Javier single handily gave AP his loss but AP for sure did not embarrass himself so his owner should for sure race again and show the racing world that today's Travers was just a set back but forward on from here
Tommy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #38
Pine Tree Lane

Quote:

But it also doesn't matter. He WON a ton of races AP would never get the chance to win. Who cares if he lost a couple?
Secretariat ran with a fever in the Whitney and had one work between the Marlboro and the Woodward. Hell, he was a substitute for Riva Ridge and only
ran because the track came up sloppy.
Pine Tree Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #39
pele polo

I couldn't get through the first page without thinking ... "what a bunch of weak minded, bleeding heart v@g!nas".

Are yall racing fans or fans of my little pony... good grief

Last edited by pele polo; 08-29-2015 at 09:28 PM.
pele polo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #40
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
No grueling.

Unlike many in here I still believe in Beyers. In his first book he wrote that Secretariat still ran in the 120's when losing to Onion and Prove Out, The Wood was his only dud by his standards and he had a Beyer fig of 108.
The preliminary Beyer mentioned on the telecast for today's Travers was 106.
If you believe in Beyers, AP is doing nothing but dominating a very weak crop.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-29-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #41
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Tree Lane
Secretariat ran with a fever in the Whitney and had one work between the Marlboro and the Woodward. Hell, he was a substitute for Riva Ridge and only
ran because the track came up sloppy.
You should not assume that any excuses offered for Secretariat are truthful.

There's a whole bunch of people who want to believe he should have never lost.

The Woodward one is total BS. He ran a great race and Prove Out's win is totally legit.

And that's why i HATE the Secretariat excuse industry. In building their horse up, they tear the performances of those who beat him down and refuse to give them credit.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #42
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Unlike many in here I still believe in Beyers. In his first book he wrote that Secretariat still ran in the 120's when losing to Onion and Prove Out, The Wood was his only dud by his standards and he had a Beyer fig of 108.
If you believe in Beyer's, AP is doing nothing but dominating a very weak crop.
Not for nothing, but the Beyer scale back then was ten points higher than it is now. So that Wood would be equivalent to a 98 figure today, and he would've run in the 110s in his losing efforts.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #43
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
The other is, silly for not keeping him up at the Spa right after the Haskell. Doubt that question hasn't come up since he and his son wanted the Travers badly .

Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #44
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
If you believe in Beyers, AP is doing nothing but dominating a very weak crop.
Maybe he has been beating a weak crop, but wasn't part of the weak crop he beat Keen Ice?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:49 PM   #45
AndyC

Quote:

My point is simply that a horse is not in top form for every race. Do you really think that a top form Secretariat would have lost to Prove Out or Onion?