Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
thaskalos

It should be easy to be kind...

I was at the grocery store buying some stuff...and two customers were in front of me at the register. The first guy was loud and obnoxious...and was tormenting the poor cashier (a pleasant young girl) with all kinds of snide remarks. "Keep your thumb off the scale"..."Don't roll my fruit, they are not bowling balls"...etc, etc. By the time this customer left...you could see the pain and frustration in the cashier's eyes. And then the next customer walks up to her...and says to her in a kind voice as he was laying out his stuff on the conveyor belt: "Thank you for working so hard for us". And the frustration disappeared from the girl's eyes...and was replaced by an appreciative glance, and no doubt a smile underneath her mask. And I thought to myself...what a difference the right words make at the right time...and how messed up we have to be if we can't show some kindness during times like these.

It should be easy to be kind, and hard to be mean...IMO.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
Greyfox

Well said Thask!
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Pamdemic me.

I haven’t killed anyone & I’d like a trophy for that.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Absolutely right.

Kindness is literally free and comes with rewards.

Being miserable comes with no reward and one actually pays a price.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
coachv30

That's horrible!! Cashier should have said. "Bad day sir? Jock itch, hemmorhoids? Isle four..have a great day!!"
Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
That's horrible!! Cashier should have said. "Bad day sir? Jock itch, hemmorhoids? Isle four..have a great day!!"
"hemmorhoids" in "Isle four"??…You must have coached spelling..

A kind sense of humor...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
stuball

Smile

What the H You never heard of the Isle of Hemmorhoids ? What a sheltered life you must lead ? oun d:
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Valuist

Usually in these customer vs employee battles, from my experience, the customer is wrong about 95% of the time.

And not to excuse the jerk in the case Thask brought up, but take away people's rights and civil liberties, and anyone can become an asshole. Lockdowns are not a recipe for niceness.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
kingfin66
Bombardier

Just wait until restaurants reopen. The customers will feel like they are doing a huge favor to restaurant owner to go out and eat. The entitlement will be off the charts. There will be many who believe they are special and that they do not have to adapt to the new rules that surely to be in place.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I was at the grocery store buying some stuff...and two customers were in front of me at the register. The first guy was loud and obnoxious...and was tormenting the poor cashier (a pleasant young girl) with all kinds of snide remarks. "Keep your thumb off the scale"..."Don't roll my fruit, they are not bowling balls"...etc, etc. By the time this customer left...you could see the pain and frustration in the cashier's eyes. And then the next customer walks up to her...and says to her in a kind voice as he was laying out his stuff on the conveyor belt: "Thank you for working so hard for us". And the frustration disappeared from the girl's eyes...and was replaced by an appreciative glance, and no doubt a smile underneath her mask. And I thought to myself...what a difference the right words make at the right time...and how messed up we have to be if we can't show some kindness during times like these.

having a wife that has worked at a grocery store for long long time some of the rudeness stories I have heard is beyond the pale.

My wife is like this nicest person in the world, literally the most popular cashier in the store, thats not her opinion but what I hear from others who shop and work in the store.

Yet here is an example what happened friday.

Lady has a bag of dogfood and water on the bottom of the cart. My wife offers to use the scanner gun to scan them so she does not have to lift them off.

The lady goes off. You are a ****ing racist bitch, you think I was going to steal them because I am black, etc etc, for like 2 minutes. My wife just smiled because sadly just used to crap like that.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #11
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
having a wife that has worked at a grocery store for long long time some of the rudeness stories I have heard is beyond the pale.

My wife is like this nicest person in the world, literally the most popular cashier in the store, thats not her opinion but what I hear from others who shop and work in the store.

Yet here is an example what happened friday.

Lady has a bag of dogfood and water on the bottom of the cart. My wife offers to use the scanner gun to scan them so she does not have to lift them off.

The lady goes off. You are a ****ing racist bitch, you think I was going to steal them because I am black, etc etc, for like 2 minutes. My wife just smiled because sadly just used to crap like that.
Thank you, Obama...your legacy reared its ugly head, yet again.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
This was just the recent example, and maybe the lady had things happen in her life that created that type of response but treating people poorly because you may have been treated poorly is no excuse.

Honestly my wife says the rudest people are usually retired, older middle to upper class, and white.

They have no patience if anything is not exactly like they think it should be and they let you know it. My wife always takes off senior day, lol.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #13
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Thanks for making this political !

Quote:
Yup, you nailed it once again Margie.
Nobody ever falsely cried racism before Obama came along.
#tawanabrawley
Old 05-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #15
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Thanks, Thask. I will make sure to thank my grocery workers next time Im at the store.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply