Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #76
no breathalyzer
Veteran

maybe they knew the loaded Court Dancer was showing up today
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #77
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
maybe they knew the loaded Court Dancer was showing up today
Maybe? Pal, I'd say 100% they knew....They including JV.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #78
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Emerald Race 3. L Mawing on the 3.

Emerald Race 5. L Mawing on the 2.

August 7th, 2016.

Top jock who had a decision to make on the backstretch. Take the rail (anyone with any common sense would've done so) and follow the inside flow or HANG yourself out on the far turn with no flow.

You can guess the result.

The 2 in race 5 was totally best if he took the rail at the 5/8 when the opportunity arose.

Horse to follow back.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #79
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Marriage Fever being in front of Castaway around the far turn is kind of funny. Sharp rides in the first
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #80
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Presque Isle Race 5. Just now.

6 leads the entire mile race at 11/1.

Leaves the rail open by an inch, 1 comes up the rail (by an inch) to pass him, 6 battles gamely to just lose.

You could almost SEE the reaction of the 2 brain cell idiot (chee golly, how did you pass me on the inside, oh my gosh, now I need to try and catch you again beever) as it transpires from the 1/4 to the wire.

This happens 10 X a day across the country.

If I were that jock, I'd hide my head like an Ostrich does in the ground.

How does any trainer, EVER give this bonehead another mount, EVER?

I'm serious trainers, HOW do you re-ride a blanken idiot of such galactic proportions ever again?

Last edited by EMD4ME; 08-08-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #81
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

I'm serious trainers, HOW do you re-ride a blanken idiot of such galactic proportions ever again?
While it is the rule (don't let them beat you up the rail), there are exceptions and it is kind of hard to know which is which from afar. And you see it A LOT more with cheaper horses. That narrow opening is just much more intimidating for a lot of horses than a clear outside path to breeze by the leader through. Many horses just won't dive for a hole and it's all a rider can do to a) get themselves to want to shoot for it and b) get the horse to agree also. Many times as a rider on the lead if I know that I'm going to be life and death to hold off someone coming, I'd rather be in the position to open the rail and close a little and open and close and intimidate and mess with the pursuing rider. If you shut it down right away and they're gonna probably get to you anyway, making the choice to switch outside in the clear the only real option is often just as, if not more, self-defeating.

Again, not saying that I prefer leaving gaping holes at the rail. Default move should be to at least make it an option that doesn't look real inviting and cause some pause. Taking it away altogether works too. But I don't think it's a hard fast rule for success and kind of have to look at through the lens of 'would he have gotten there anyway if the only option was to switch outside'. Because if so, I say make them swallow hard and try to thread the needle.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #82
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
While it is the rule (don't let them beat you up the rail), there are exceptions and it is kind of hard to know which is which from afar. And you see it A LOT more with cheaper horses. That narrow opening is just much more intimidating for a lot of horses than a clear outside path to breeze by the leader through. Many horses just won't dive for a hole and it's all a rider can do to a) get themselves to want to shoot for it and b) get the horse to agree also. Many times as a rider on the lead if I know that I'm going to be life and death to hold off someone coming, I'd rather be in the position to open the rail and close a little and open and close and intimidate and mess with the pursuing rider. If you shut it down right away and they're gonna probably get to you anyway, making the choice to switch outside in the clear the only real option is often just as, if not more, self-defeating.

Again, not saying that I prefer leaving gaping holes at the rail. Default move should be to at least make it an option that doesn't look real inviting and cause some pause. Taking it away altogether works too. But I don't think it's a hard fast rule for success and kind of have to look at through the lens of 'would he have gotten there anyway if the only option was to switch outside'. Because if so, I say make them swallow hard and try to thread the needle.

I appreciate and see your logic. I'm a logical guy, believe me. However, it just gets so tiring to watch pure stupidity in action.

He had "police coverage" to the outside. Meaning, if he cut the rail off, there were ample horses to his outside where his "inside pursuer" probably could be blocked from getting out.

Most frustrating is watching this need the leader ( I say that as the horse was stretching out for the 1st time) was game when headed from the inside.

I get your logic. Bait them in and cut them. Happened in race 7 at EMD last night but you have to have talent to pull that off.

I don't care if his name is Mario Pino and he bats 19%, that WAS STUPID. Plain and simple and someone needs to NOT BE APATHETIC to this stupidity

and in this small little world, I volunteer myself.

Once others get apathetic to the crap/stupidity out there, why bother breathing or living. Seems too many horseplayers out there are apathetic and just give up.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 08-08-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #83
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Presque Isle Race 5. Just now.

6 leads the entire mile race at 11/1.

Leaves the rail open by an inch, 1 comes up the rail (by an inch) to pass him, 6 battles gamely to just lose.

You could almost SEE the reaction of the 2 brain cell idiot (chee golly, how did you pass me on the inside, oh my gosh, now I need to try and catch you again beever) as it transpires from the 1/4 to the wire.

This happens 10 X a day across the country.

If I were that jock, I'd hide my head like an Ostrich does in the ground.

How does any trainer, EVER give this bonehead another mount, EVER?

EMD, here's where I think your logic is flaw. Why do you think the jockey is "letting" him up the rail?

I'll put it this way. About 80% of people are right handed so most jockeys are right handed. When a horse is on its correct lead it almost always drifts out vs in.

So I think you're underestimating the issue. You have an exhausted thousand pound animal trying to go right and your asking why a 100 pound person to prevent that. It's not as easy as it looks.

Also a jockey would tell you more you fight a horse the more it slows down. A jockey would tell you the later in the race you interfere with a speed horses momentum the harder it is to regain it.

So the idea that a jockey can keep a horse glued to the rail or straight AND keep his speed the same as if he drifted in or out is not accurate. It's basic physics.

Basically you keep ranting that jockeys are "letting" horses up the rail and you're not acknowledging that correcting them would cost them lengths.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #84
sammy the sage

You know what's FUNNY....many of THE so-called bonehead rides are UNDER strict trainer's orders....and VERY few will admit it publically...alas...it does no good to discuss it...
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #85
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
EMD, here's where I think your logic is flaw. Why do you think the jockey is "letting" him up the rail?

I'll put it this way. About 80% of people are right handed so most jockeys are right handed. When a horse is on its correct lead it almost always drifts out vs in.

So I think you're underestimating the issue. You have an exhausted thousand pound animal trying to go right and your asking why a 100 pound person to prevent that. It's not as easy as it looks.

Also a jockey would tell you more you fight a horse the more it slows down. A jockey would tell you the later in the race you interfere with a speed horses momentum the harder it is to regain it.

So the idea that a jockey can keep a horse glued to the rail or straight AND keep his speed the same as if he drifted in or out is not accurate. It's basic physics.

Basically you keep ranting that jockeys are "letting" horses up the rail and you're not acknowledging that correcting them would cost them lengths.
Everything you've said, I've preached for years. 90% of jocks are right handed, effect of turn on an animal etc. I'm with you on those aforementioned points but....

I have one response: why wasn't holding the rail closed an issue 30 years ago?

This horse wasn't beat by being unable to corner naturally. He was beat because the jock fell asleep at the wheel.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 08-08-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #86
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Saratoga Race 10.

Only speed of race is scracthed at gate. (The 1).

Kudos to Javier Castellano for having the BRAIN POWER to send his horse to the lead in the quickly moving scenario. WIRE TO WIRE

Other jockeys, BONEHEADS and they deserved to lose.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #87
Dahoss9698
Veteran

If the stewards in Florida cared (we know they do not) they'd call every single jockey into the room right now that rode in the first.

That race was more theater than any I've seen in months. What were the riders of the 3,4 and 5 doing?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #88
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Irad had to work VERY hard to lose the 3rd there. Broke on top, rated into submission for no reason behind a very slow half and then finished like an amateur.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #89
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Irad had to work VERY hard to lose the 3rd there. Broke on top, rated into submission for no reason behind a very slow half and then finished like an amateur.
In the stretch, after each whip strike by Ortiz, horse bore into the #6, the winner having plenty left because of the slow pace, in addition to the #8 being 3 wide the whole race. Not really seeing it the same way as you, having had no vested interest in the race, just my unbiased opinion....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #90
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
In the stretch, after each whip strike by Ortiz, horse bore into the #6, the winner having plenty left because of the slow pace, in addition to the #8 being 3 wide the whole race. Not really seeing it the same way as you, having had no vested interest in the race, just my unbiased opinion....
I had no vested interest in the race either.

So wouldn't the fact that there was a slow pace and the 8 being 3 wide throughout be Irad's fault?

He broke on top and could have easily cleared. He did the EXACT same thing to this horse last time and got in some traffic. So much for learning from your mistakes...