Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
HPFridays

The only reason I can figure DRF charges so much for issues is the delivery and maybe special size paper charges. To alleviate that I'd have a kiosk or the program stand carry download ports for those that prefer them on phone or tablet or a regular printed version on 8" x 11" paper. No need to charge more than $1 for the download and maybe $2 for the printed version. The Xpressbet booths at many tracks should be offering this.

Last edited by HPFridays; 02-20-2015 at 11:58 AM.
HPFridays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #17
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

Perhaps I'm the only OCD member of the crowd and/or this is off topic, but the thing that the DRF always had going for it was it's clean look, and that people had grown used to it over many years.

On the flip side, BRIS always looked cluttered and you could find overlapping text, etc. Track programs suffered from a similar problem.

I haven't look at a DRF in a long time, and just once since the resizing. However, looking at the link to the free edition, it's unbelievable to see trouble lines not right justified, font size differences between pages, and other crap that I couldn't imagine seeing in the DRF its heyday.

The problem back then would be a Connecticut Teletrack ad sandwiched in the middle of the Marlboro Cup PPs, but with today's technology the PPs should look perfect, not like the classified ads in the local Pennysaver.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
The DRF also does not give volume discounts, which is a big plus for many products.
Then you say after I point out not true

Quote:
I haven't looked at DRF in years.
This is just a great example of what is wrong with info on the net. I'm not bashing you at all on this, Clocker, so please don't take this personally, because it isn't just you. Our so called turf press is just as guilty of this. Just make some blanket statement without any basis. Others repeat it on and on and on and you end up with everybody saying the same thing over and over with no more basis than some other guy said it before me. Just look at the close Aqueduct threads. That same story with that same lack of logic has been repeated and repeated the last couple months and none of them has any recognition of how it fits into the overall racing year or the very real repercussions involved.

As to this example, you can get good volume discounts with DRF, especially if you are a big volume player. If not, you can still get a 100% discount if you play through their ADW. It takes about 2 seconds on the DRF website to figure this out. If it's not for you, that's cool. I prefer it myself but know full well not everyone does or even should. But it's a long way from I prefer something else to they don't do this or that.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #19
letswastemoney

DRF has no reason to charge less. They're still #1 in PP sales.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'd convince racing to pay me the same profit w/ performance bonuses for sending my past performances out for FREE through the internet and even mail to certain customers as part of a mass media effort

OR

I'd offer certain elite exclusive clients past performances with actual insight on each runner in each race that they contracted with me.
Basically, being the guy who does form and replays for the syndicate.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #21
joeslovo

I think the DRF is value for money.
There was a brief lived rival years ago.
It had a somewhat European format;but it eventually folded.
joeslovo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #22
Stoleitbreezing

I bought one recently for $9.50. It had good material, but for that price I'd like to see more detailed comments for each runner for every track that was listed. I'm also not keen on spending 10 bucks on programs.
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #23
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslovo
What value? All three major PP companies (DRF, BRIS and TimeformUS) use the same exact Equibase data for the running lines.

DRF lacks pace figures in their normal PPs

BRIS is free in most cases, and offers pace and class ratings, and however accurate or inaccurate they are...free is free.

The major difference between the three is their formula for the final speed figure, but I don't see how DRF could be a value.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #24
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/10202

New Digital DRF starts Saturday, FREE issue for Friday - the has Saturday's Pic 4 PPs, including the FOY.

It is basically the print edition in a PDF.....3-4 tracks for $6 as opposed to 7-8 tracks for $9.

But you can't write on it.
Is it not printable?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
joeslovo

Well,I'm used to buying the DRF and maybe downloading TRD onto my tablet or phone.That's enough for me to carry around,Maybe I'm just too used to the DRF over the years;but it suits me over all that the other stuff.
Old habits die hard.When I say value;I mean that it is value for me.
I'm no Big Time Charlie with money to burn but the cost is OK for me too.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #26
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslovo
You are probably referring to the one that published fractions in the metric form, hundreds. If so, Steve Crist left his writing about racing with NYTimes to become publisher. The backer, whose name i cannot fully remember was Robert? and he committed suicide after suffering financial disaster with other ventures.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #27
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
You are probably referring to the one that published fractions in the metric form, hundreds. If so, Steve Crist left his writing about racing with NYTimes to become publisher. The backer, whose name i cannot fully remember was Robert? and he committed suicide after suffering financial disaster with other ventures.
Right. It was the Racing Times and Crist was the publisher. It was funded by a British publishing company headed by Robert Maxwell.

I believe the Racing Times was the original publisher of Beyer figures. It only lasted for about a year or so.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #28
joeslovo

Racing Times it was.
It reminded me of the old Sporting Life;what with the big folding pages and form notes.Probably early 80's?
Of course back then we could not even get Southern Ca racing via satellite up here in Northern Ca.
Horses coming up from Southern Ca to Bay Meadows;were a nice angle for a while.Now we are inundated with information and angles.Info overload.
Anyway it is all recreational for me these days.Gone are the days when I would consider taking a flyer on the ponies.
I had a go at making my own variants in those days also.Read all the Quinn and Quirin books;and Beyer;and early pace projections.
Now it's back to porridge for me.
The DRF and the app "Wager Gauger" (as my wife likes the 10 cent supers at GP) are my only WMD's.
I like to examine the breeding when it comes to the turf and bet to have fun and enjoy the day.
Those few hours at the track with my wife are some of the most enjoyable times.A few hours of unconcern about the troubles of the world;just the two of us and the enigma that is racing.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Is it not printable?
Yes, I printed the races out.
And wrote all over them.

One would think an electronic copy would be bit cheaper than a printed one,
but one would be wrong.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:11 AM   #30
Fingal

Quote:
Right. It was the Racing Times and Crist was the publisher. It was funded by a British publishing company headed by Robert Maxwell.

I believe the Racing Times was the original publisher of Beyer figures. It only lasted for about a year or so.

I may have one in a pile with some old forms. If I remember the layout was more spread out & the type face wasn't as clumpy as the DRF which was nice. There also used to be one called figs form, but that only lasted a short time as it was one of those almost clandestine publications that had very few distribution outlets. Back then no one wanted to take on the DRF monopoly, they would all fold or get bought out by the Racing Form if they had something of interest they could integrate.

Last edited by Fingal; 02-21-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply