Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
SchagFactorToWin

Pena suspension today?

Just received this from Harness Racing Update:

"Controversial harness trainer Lou Pena will be suspended indefinitely later this afternoon by the New York State Racing & Wagering Board, according to a source. The board plans to announce that Pena is being cited with roughly 1,700 drug violations, the source said. Sources tell Harness Racing Update that through the cooperation of the New Jersey Racing Commission, New York authorities were able to obtain Pena’s veterinary records, and those records revealed a frequent use of medications that were not permissable within the timeframe in which he used them, according to racing’s rules."

Last edited by SchagFactorToWin; 05-24-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling
SchagFactorToWin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
The Bit

1700 violations ... How many of his supporters are going to man up?
The Bit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
pandy

I'd love to hear what his creepy owners have to say now, like Jay, who always brags about how great his trainer is. Unfortunately Lou Pena will probably be the only one to take the fall and his owners will do what they always do, move to another crooked trainer. They used Kesmodel (now suspended), then moved to Napolitano, Jr., who was throw out of Pocono Downs (allowed back as a driver), then to Pena.

I hope NY and NJ also go after his beards, one of them is winning at 32% at Yonkers.

I knew this would happen eventually, they all take the fall.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-25-2012 at 04:03 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
cecil127

couple of years late, wouldnt ya say?
cecil127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
LottaKash

Only 1,700.... (c'mon give the guy a break)
Goodbye, again Lou.......and again, and again, and again...

best,
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
pandy

All of his horses should not be allowed to race for at least 3 months. I'm sure they're going to go after the owner's purse winnings but that's tough to win, so at least they can hurt these crooks by suspending their horses. I would not allow the horses to race for a year. As for The Lightning Lane stable, they should not be allowed to own race horses ever again.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
lamboguy

i just got done reading these violations. every horse was treated with clen the day before the race according to vet records. how come the lab never got a positive on all those violations?

on top of that, i am sure there must have been something mixed in with the clen, but they didn't find the designer drugs if they were administered.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i just got done reading these violations. every horse was treated with clen the day before the race according to vet records. how come the lab never got a positive on all those violations?

on top of that, i am sure there must have been something mixed in with the clen, but they didn't find the designer drugs if they were administered.
There are others as well that are very curious. As far as I know the NSAIDs all test too, but they didn't come up as positive.

And what the hell is Factrel doing in all the horses? I dont know if that tests or not.

Anyway, it is really interesting stuff. If the vet records are right - and he was throwing the kitchen sink at every horse in the barn - one wonders who the hell is doing the testing in New York, and how bad is it, if so?
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Hanover1

While on target here, this may have caused more problems than it has solved.
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
While on target here, this may have caused more problems than it has solved.
Please don't jump to conclusions here. This is not a NYS ruling but rather a notice of suspension and a hearing.

1700 violations and not a single positive. Wow!!! What does that tell you about the NY State testing facilities. How incompetent can they be for which they are being paid good dollars to do a job. Are these the magic elixirs that we all having been waiting with abated breath that made his horses go 3 seconds faster? Not.

Now I am not a chemist nor a vet and don't know much about the drugs that Pena was purportedly using, but this much is clear that in almost every instance the ruling does not say that the said drug itself was illegal to use but only the timing of the administration of the drug was off.

I am pretty sure that Pena does not inject his horses personally but rather one of his licensed vets does. If a drug was injected say 47 1/2 hours before post time instead of the required 48 hours, then isn't the vet to blame for that rather than Pena. Least they can do is revoke the licenses of these vets who committed these horrendous crimes.

Good luck to the NY State in proving the timings of the administration of the drugs.

What a crude way to get rid of a trainer by pulling 2 year old vet records and incidentally his was the only vet records that were pulled.

If this is not discrimination, I don't know what is.

Last edited by Sea Biscuit; 05-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Sea Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
pandy

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd like to see vet records of some other top trainers to see how they compare.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I'd like to see vet records of some other top trainers to see how they compare.
If that happens all the skeletons will be falling out of the cupboards of race tracks across America.

Last edited by Sea Biscuit; 05-27-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Anyway, it is really interesting stuff. If the vet records are right - and he was throwing the kitchen sink at every horse in the barn - one wonders who the hell is doing the testing in New York, and how bad is it, if so?
Seriously even though Gural banned him from the Meadowlands the testing method in NJ has to be even worse then NYS.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit
If that happens all the skeletons will be falling out of the cupboards of race tracks across America.

Biscuit, I say, "Let-er rip Nellie"...Let the chips fall where they may....I want a clean sport....Something "must" be done, and soon I should hope....

Things just can't stay the way they are and expect to survive for the long haul....

This may be a feeble attempt, but at least the question of cheating, is being looked at more closely....

Lot of work to be done, but you gotta start somewhere....

So, if that status quo remains, does anyone that is serious about horseracing, like that ?....

best,
Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 AM   #15
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Biscuit, I say, "Let-er rip Nellie"...Let the chips fall where they may....I want a clean sport....Something "must" be done, and soon I should hope....
We have a long way to go.

Just look at the positive suspensions on this bulletin at USTA which is only for May 18. There are about 50/60 bulletins in the achieves such as this.

http://horsemen.ustrotting.com/pdf/r...s-20120518.pdf

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: