Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-24-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
MDCnorthlands
Journeyman

How many of you guys have bet over your head?

I have never bet above my head but been around all sorts of degenerates. In the 90s a friend of mine would take his cordless home phone to the bathroom and phone his bets in. This one time I was sitting in the living room with his wife and we could hear he was in the bathroom, door closed, and talking on the phone. The wife went to the door and asked him who he's talking to. He replied “I’m in the ****ing bathroom! **** you!”

I think he was down pretty big those days. The wife politely asked me to leave so I grabbed the case of beer I brought and hit the road. They divorced not long after and last I heard he was still living in an RV and betting.

I bet there's some real degenerates lurking around this forum with a few tales of their own.

MDCnorthlands
MDCnorthlands is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCnorthlands View Post
I bet there's some real degenerates lurking around this forum with a few tales of their own.
I laughed
Old 05-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
classhandicapper

In my late teens (70s) I sold my comic book collection to finance a bet.

In my 20s (80s), I sold my Fender Telecaster to finance a bet. It was a $200 guitar back then that's probaby worth more than $2000 now and I didn't even get 10-1 on the horse.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:14 AM   #4
lamboguy

in 1981 i was betting sports with a famous mobster in Harlem, Fat Tony Salerno. so i bet the Los Angeles Dodgers in the world series against the Yankees. he had a boosted up home town price on series.

i bet a lot of money on the Dodgers that i didn't have, the Dodgers have a 3-2 lead in the series coming back to the Bronx. i flew down to New York to watch the game with my handicapper, his name was Harvey one eye. i got great seats at the stadium and call up Fat Tony to bet the game. he gives me the price and i bet on the Yankees as a hedge. that day the bionic arm was pitching for the Yankees, Tommy John, and he was unbeatable. we go to the game and it gets rained out.

the next day the game is rescheduled, same pitchers. so i call Tony to bet the game, he answers the phone and says sorry short pants (my nickname that he gave me) the price is now John - $190. i hung up the phone and ask Harvey what am i supposed to do now. Harvey says you can't go against the bionic arm. i think about it for a minute and called back my bookmaker. Tony answers the phone and says the price went up to 2-1. I said, screw it, give me rootin tootin Burt Hooten. i went back to Harvey and told him what i did, he said i am nuts going against the Bionic arm.

we go to the game and the Yankees put up 2 runs in the second inning and Hooten's knuckle ball had not been working. Harvey is looking at me like i am from outer space. i said my friend, i can't pay the original series bet, so what difference does it make, he can only kill me once. in the fifth inning the Dodgers put up 10 runs and go on to win the game and i escaped!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I once read a post by MDCnorthlands and didn't put him on IGGY immediately.

It was 2-5 he would be worthless and I hedged.

Last edited by Tom; 05-25-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
delayjf

One of the greatest days of my life.

in the mid 80's my brother and I were scanning 2 different bookie sheets from two different bookies. The game was Mississippi vs Mississippi St. MS was the better team and favored by 6 points. Low and behold, one sheet had it backwards, with Mississippi favored by 6 points. We called the bookie to verify the incorrect spread, which he did.

Back in those days, we would bet at the most 100 dollars on a game we really liked. But in this case we bet 2000.00 on Mississippi getting 6 points then betting 2,000.00 on Mississippi St getting 6 points, so that if the final score of the game was within 6 points, regardless of who won, we'd when both bets. We were only risking the vig (200.00) if one team didn't cover.

Sure enough, Mississippi St won by 4 points and my brother and I won 4000 grand. Got wasted on whisky sours that night. That was a ton of money for us back then.

At the track, I have been know to take a shot, if I'm winning.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
MDCnorthlands
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I once read a post by MDCnorthlands and didn't put him on IGGY immediately.

It was 2-5 he would be worthless and I hedged.
100,000 posts on an internet forum.

Good grief, go get laid and pay for it if you have to. I am sure we would all chip into a fund for you if necessary.

MDCnorthlands
Old 05-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
fast4522

Quote:

Good grief, go get laid and pay for it if you have to. I am sure we would all chip into a fund for you if necessary.

MDCnorthlands
As if telling Tom to get laid on Memorial Day was not insulting enough, is you coming back as a new member to insult us all with your garbage. Really great form here indeed.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
MDCnorthlands
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
As if telling Tom to get laid on Memorial Day was not insulting enough, is you coming back as a new member to insult us all with your garbage. Really great form here indeed.
This is my first time on the forum. Wish I'd found it years ago.

You can't insult people on Memorial Day? If anything it should be the time to insult Americans, with its countless immoral wars and invasions of other countries.

MDCnorthlands
Old 05-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

MDCnorthlands
All I need is a quarter and your wife's phone number......
Old 05-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
All I need is a quarter and your wife's phone number......
I laughed.
But a quarter won't get you 411 these days.

Find her on FB.......
Old 05-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #12
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Are you not entertained?

This thread has taken a turn and it's pure gold! Lol
Old 05-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #13
MDCnorthlands
Journeyman

Whether and whom my wife sleeps with stopped being a concern of mine a long time ago. My primary concern these days is whether I'll wake up from my next nap.

MDCnorthlands
Old 05-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
biggestal99

Back in the day. I once sold my racing form for 50 cents so that I could get a deuce down. Horse lost. So I lost every red cent plus my form.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
46zilzal
velocitician

Everyone who played this game, depending up hie income, has had a sphincter tightening moment

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: