Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
I just wrote to a few NJ sources. The new "vig" will be either 25 cents per bet or $19.95 per month.
Did your sources say TVG will become the account wagering platform operator for 4NJbets or that TVG is going to be the ADW company for NJ?

In my uneducated and knee-jerk opinion, if TVG did become the ADW company in NJ, it could be in violation of the “commerce clause“, as TVG is not a NJ company. If NJ law requires it’s residents to use a specific out of state company for horse wagering, it would be an interstate transaction and the states do not have the power to regulate interstate commerce.

Even if 4NJbets remains the bet-taker and TVG is the platform operator, they can still impose wager fees if the wished. (The industry is struggling right now in NJ, so it makes perfect NJ sense to increase the cost of wagering.)
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers
Did your sources say TVG will become the account wagering platform operator for 4NJbets or that TVG is going to be the ADW company for NJ?
From what I heard they will be the one and only ADW allowed in NJ. There is supposed be a press release and account holders contacted by the end of this week, so by my Math that would be tomorrow.

I am also interested in all the details. Sources say if you bet enough they refund the fees, I hope that is true.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
Pacingguy

More TVG Stuff

News didn't come this past weekend due to last minute regulatory issues. Apparently, those issues have been resolved because I got a response to a query I posed TVG.

Thank you for contacting TVG. On March 1st TVG will become the operator for 4NJBets.com. If you already have a 4NJBets accounts watch for communication in your email box on how your account will be transitioned. We look forward to providing your account wagering needs.

If you have any further questios or concerns, please feel free to give us a call or send an email. We’re glad to help.

For the record, Scientific Games, the current operator of 4NJBets is not a NJ company as is Betfair (TVG). The contract was up for renewal and TVG won. It is important to note that Betfair has a platform they can use for Exchange wagering so that may have been one of the reasons why they won it.

I am pretty sure we are going to get the TVG platform. Whether they are taking over the 4NJBets.com domain or not, remains to be seen.

One point about their fees. At one point someone told me that existing account holders will not be facing any additional charges, suggesting the accounts will be grandfathered as being free. However, I will believe it when I get more info (of which I am trying to find out more).

What I will say is a fee will cut down my wagering significantly. I am a small time player so a $.25 fee means I am going to pay about 12.5% for the privilige of wagering as a $2 gambler. I realize the lack of my wagers aren't going to bankrupt anyone but that means I will have in effect a 29.5% takeout for a win wager? I think not. In addition, if a track doesn't have video on their website, they will be scratched off my list as well.

If I am getting screwed over, this could be the best thing to happen to my bottom line.
Pacingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Pacingguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacingguy
One point about their fees. At one point someone told me that existing account holders will not be facing any additional charges, suggesting the accounts will be grandfathered as being free. However, I will believe it when I get more info (of which I am trying to find out more).
I followed up with TVG and told them that current NJBets.com customers pay no wagering fees or fees for video. I asked them what would be the case when TVG takes over and here is their response:

I checked with TVG about pricing. I mentioned to them there currently are no wagering fees or fees for video and this was the response I got.

Thank you for contacting TVG. The pricing plan will stay the same as you currently have with 4NJBets.com.

Will there be other surprises? Who knows? Time will tell. I look forward to their email. In the meanwhile, as of now I am satisfied.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Vinman

I stopped in Favorites in Woodbridge last week to specifically ask if the Big M club program will be continued in its current form so that players who bet live at the track or OTW will continue to earn points as before. I was told yes, which makes sense, as TVG has no interaction with these bets.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Rutgers

Quote:

For the record, Scientific Games, the current operator of 4NJBets is not a NJ company as is Betfair (TVG). The contract was up for renewal and TVG won. It is important to note that Betfair has a platform they can use for Exchange wagering so that may have been one of the reasons why they won it.
Scientific Games is now Sportech. They are the platform operator for 4NJbets, they are not the actual bet taker. New Jersey Account Wagering is. NJAW is a partnership of NJSEA and PennWood racing. (which is now more complicated then that because of the leases with MP and the Big M). Sportech, a non-NJ entity, is basically providing a service to NJAW, which is a NJ entity.

So my question is, is TVG replacing Sportech as the platform operator for NJAW or is it replacing NJAW was the ADW in NJ?

If TVG does become just the platform operator and not the ADW itself, NJAW will (or should) determine any fees and/or rewards, not TVG.
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
Pacingguy

The E-mail?

Anyone have an idea when the 'e-mail' explaining all this will be coming out? I suspect most of our questions will be answered then.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
castaway01

Quote:
Anyone have an idea when the 'e-mail' explaining all this will be coming out? I suspect most of our questions will be answered then.
I haven't received the email either, and I'm on the site right now and there is no updated news about the new management. I do appreciate you following up with them and I hope that what you heard about no fees for current members is correct. In theory, and I say this with no hope it will be true, things could get better with the change to TVG since the 4njbets platform and options are pretty awful. I guess we shall see.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
njcurveball

A meeting has to be held with the Racing Commission and that is supposed to take place on Wednesday, Feb 27 at 1 pm in Trenton. Obviously since no one knows about this, there will be no objections and TVG will be granted a vendor license and go forward with all of this.

http://www.nj.gov/oag/racing/downloa...227_notice.pdf

Racing in NJ is a funny business, we have a Governor that says the tracks need to stand on their own while our tax dollars get flushed down the Revel toilets to the tune of billions of dollars.

The TVG choice may be a back door deal with Betfair so they can go froward with their new enthusiasm to get Sports Betting approved.

Last edited by njcurveball; 02-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #25
njcurveball

Quote:
Anyone have an idea when the 'e-mail' explaining all this will be coming out?
It will be after the 27th now.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #26
NJ Stinks

Just found out tonight about this from the front page here at PA. So I checked for an e-mail about this and have not received one. (Don't know if 4NJBETS even has my e-mail address.)

Aside from being pissed if I can't play tomorrow and this weekend because of startup crap, here's some pros and cons from what I see so far:

Pros:

1. Hopefully, more UK racing plus Asia on certain nights. If I can play Cheltenham in two weeks, I'll be beyond happy!

2. Hopefully, no more of that barbaric $4.50 fee per $100 using my debit card. (I live an hour each way from Freehold and driving there costs just as much in fuel and time as the idiotic fee.) Using a checking account sounds like we just might be entering a new century here.

Cons:

1. No fan of TVG's style of shoving Pick Anything down our throats all day long. Plus I would never want to help pay Todd Schrupp's salary or - God forbid - help him get a raise. Anyway, if stinking NJ ever gave me a choice, I ain't pickin' TVG to make my bets through.

2. I'm concerned that the video will not be as good/reliable as what we had.

The charges per bet and video charge that I see at the TVG website (that we may or may not be subject to) probably won't affect me because of the betting threshholds but I still detest the idea of them.

In the end I have to say this. I'm over 60 and I still have put up with whatever slop NJ dishes out because I'm not allowed to shop around for an ADW. Meanwhile, have I mentioned that I've never been deliquent on my NJ property taxes the last 30+ years and always paid my NJ state taxes on time? The whole thing makes me *$@* furious.

Good thing I love horseracing.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
Without addressing the "legality" from the State of New Jersey's perspective of NJ residents placing horse racing wagers through entities other than njbets, I can say with authority that any NJ resident can open a NYRA Rewards account and bet with live operators at full track odds and with no surcharge of any kind. The only thing NYRA Rewards will not let a Jersey resident account holder do is wager online. It's blocked, for legal reasons. But as far as they are concerened, it is perfectly legal for them to offer phone account wagering to NJ residents.

Personally, I'd rather bet with a live operator anyway. You still have online access to your account balance, your past wagering records, live video, replays, results, tote....the whole nine yards. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that NYRA rewards has the best "comp" schedule in the business, excluding the off shore operations of course.

So there is no reason for any NJ horseplayer to endure this latest kick in the pants from those who decided to hand over njbets to TVG and their fee based nonsense.

Vinman
I may give this a try, I personally prefer impersonal internet betting but phone is OK too.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: