Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 12:03 AM   #46
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mileto7Fcutback View Post
If its so well regarded by bettors wouldn't their handle be better?

I guess satisfactory in its racing product is an endorsement.

By your criteria wouldn't all of the NYRA tracks be competent?
I've answered your question....We're done.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2021, 12:25 AM   #47
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mileto7Fcutback View Post
Like?

Allowing Baffert, Diodoro,etc,etc to do as they please is a bad look.
Last I checked those guys can run nearly everywhere with a few exceptions and cases pending. I'm done with the troll, imagine your nth time here will be short.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #48
MooseDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
And just how many here acually worked as a photofinish camera operator? Hmmmmmm?
…or as a placing judge…
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #49
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #50
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
It's kind of amazing, when you think of it, that racetracks in 2021 have problems implementing technologies that were perfected in the 1930's and 1940's (they literally had fully automatic timing at the 1936 Olympics as well as at Santa Anita in 1934, they had hundredths of a second automatic timing at the 1948 Olympics, and they had a photo finish at Del Mar in 1938).

One thought- are they trying to save money by disabling backup systems? What would it cost them to line up a photostrip camera and keep some fast developer on hand just in case, and to run a beam system as a backup to Trakus or run an automatic timer off the video?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #51
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

If only twitter could figure out a way to blame Andy Serling for all of this...the circle of life would be complete.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #52
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The failures pretty much speak for themselves.
Not enough lipstick in NY to hide them. When you have a race that close, your CUSTOMERS deserve a real time explanation.

Trust but verify.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
If only twitter could figure out a way to blame Andy Serling for all of this...the circle of life would be complete.
Andy obviously gets a bad wrap on Twitter, IMO at least. You won't find a nicer guy that goes out of his way to help horseplayers.

I also am 99.9999999% sure he is as or more irritated about the timing (and now photo) problems than horseplayers are. I'm probably in the 0.0000001%.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #54
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Andy is the only bright spot at Aqudrab.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #55
46zilzal
velocitician

I found some old notes and I believe I know what MIGHT have happened in not showing a photo. It happened twice: when there is NO Photo to be shown and documented, the judges/stewards CALL the order of finish.

First, at little Fraser Downs in Cloverdale B.C., we only had a manual exposure single camera, and it was on the floor UNDER where the computer was located that controlled the images. On days when the lighting at the finish line varied (bight sunshine mixed with clouds) I had to wait until the last minuter to set the exposure (F stop) and then run upstairs hoping that that one would work. I told the judges that ONE DAY, it might happen that I set the F stop for clouds and while the race ran, sunshine moved in since this was only a maual set camera. Sure enough, one day with loads of clouds the exposure was set and the sun came out near the finish. There was no way I could alter it being one floor above the camera. The photo was washed out badly and all the manipulations of the software in contrast alteration could not bring about a acceptable image to show the crowd. So the judges had to call a dead heat since only two sulkies were way out ahead of the field. They all laughed later when I reminded them I had warned them that this make take place.

Second time was at the Woodbine Stardardbred meeting where almost all the races were at night. The quality cameras there had automatic exposure so that was never a problem again like the other example.

On the wall near the computer, was a big button and I discovered that it was getting worn out. Several times I had tried to activate the cameras with it (normal procedure) and it took several repeated pushes to get it to activate. I asked that another switch be brought in to replace it. One race, I turned on the lights and began pushing the buttom earlier than I would have due to this problem: I got nothing and as the field went by, my computer screen was blank.

I explained the problem to the judges, and as it was a very close finish, again they had to call the finish DEAD HEAT but had no photo to differentiate wheter one horse or the other was actually the winner. I later took one of the judges upstairs and showed him, through a few test scans, how difficult it was to activate the cameras from this old button. I checked out the manual for the camera and discovered and alternate way of starting them via a keyboard manuever so I was able to continue to scan that was until the switch was replaced. (They put in a light switch like we all have in your homes that worked like a charm. AGAIN the judges told me that without photographic evidence, they had to call deal heat.

DISTINCT possiblity that a scenario like this happened since NO PHOTO was ever shown: there may have NOT been one or the one captured was of poor quality through technical reasons.

Other thigns: debris can kick up from the track and rarely oculded the areas close to the noses, I have had Canadian Geese in the photos, or shadows from aircraft on final landing to the Pearson International airport about two miles from the track.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #56
46zilzal
velocitician

here is a good one at Brighton course England. This "L" shaped course runs over the top of hill right in the town of Brighton.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/28244486