Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #121
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I was in the Air Force for 23 years and 2 months, I know all about this.
I live near Martins these days. We get flyovers on a regular basis.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #122
The_Turf_Monster

In a perfect world, all interested parties are protected…….but this isn’t a perfect world. The purpose of the event is in the title of it, the interested party here is Breeders. It’s a show for them. The horse is going to run, as we saw a few years ago with Mongolian whatever because it’s running to boost stud fees. It shouldn’t be a surprise that the bettor is out at the back of the line, why spend your money on something where you’re ancillary to the main interest? There are hundreds of horizontal wager options every day to bet on
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #123
dilanesp

BTW, "make it an all race" is a really good idea whenever a big favorite gets scratched very late. That should be written into the rules.

Last edited by dilanesp; 11-06-2021 at 03:05 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #124
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
BTW, "make it an all race" is a really good idea whenever a big favorite gets scratched very late. That should be written into the rules.
If there ever was a concern for the Bettors involved...this would already be done.

Your point is a good one, dilanesp.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #125
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I mentioned it here, but Paul Matties was the one that I first saw bring it up yesterday. Gotta give him the credit for that one.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #126
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
Define big favorite, disagree as only those who have the favorite in the multi race wager benefit, if you have any of the other horses you are punished for great handicapping. What if you singled the second choice or any other horse, it is too penal for the gambler. Very rare occurence to have a special rule attached.

Love the rule for late surface changes.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #127
davew

Quote:
Sone of your toughest beats have surely come because of stuff humans (jockeys) have done. And this one was set off by an animal (the ). I don't think that distinction works.
some have said the 1 started it, reared up and hit head which caused the 2 to rear and get front legs over gate.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #128
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
He definitely stumbled badly when he came out. That's why I thought he broke through. The Stewards almost certainly saw the same thing.
Of course, the rider was doing everything he could to keep him from running off.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #129
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandgravity View Post
Just piling on... cost me a P5.

I wonder if this could be open to a class action lawsuit?
Who would you sue?

Breeders Cup for having 3 sets of 2 veterinarians instead of the normal 1?

CHRB for allowing bad betting rule laws remain?

DelMar for their tote system?

The off track sites that started removing the 1 pool bets as a scratch?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #130
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Who would you sue?

Breeders Cup for having 3 sets of 2 veterinarians instead of the normal 1?

CHRB for allowing bad betting rule laws remain?

DelMar for their tote system?

The off track sites that started removing the 1 pool bets as a scratch?
Bettors always threaten suit and they almost never win.

Here, the decisionmakers were state employees who enjoy sovereign immunity. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #131
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Ideally, you'd like to just push a button and allow the computer systems to reverse it all and then give players a little extra time to cancel or change some some wagers if they feel the incident changed the race. But I'm almost certain most systems aren't built with that functionality because it virtually never happens. I'd be surprised if any can handle it.
Quote:
Obviously the technology to put a horse back in can't be done. And that goes back to horse racing living in the 70s. That is the solution, update your tote technology. It needs it on many fronts.
The tote is absolutely capable of reinstating a horse that was mistakenly/accidentally scratched.

In fact, Modern Games was put back in the system yesterday, before being removed again:

Scratched originally at 17:35:35, reinstated at 17:37:01, and then scratched again at 17:43:49.

This isn't a technology problem. It's antiquated rules in certain jurisdictions (namely CA and NY, among others), and for whatever reason those in charge refuse to update them.

Last edited by cj; 11-06-2021 at 06:38 PM.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #132
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
The tote is absolutely capable of reinstating a horse that was mistakenly/accidentally scratched.

In fact, Modern Games was put back in the system yesterday, before being removed again:

Scratched originally at 17:35:35, reinstated at 17:37:01, and then scratched again at 17:43:49.

This isn't a technology problem. It's antiquated rules in certain jurisdictions (namely CA and NY, among others), and for whatever reason those in charge refuse to update them.
The rule that you can't un-scratch is a good rule.

But don't assume the technology is quite as certain as you think. When they "reinserted" Modern Games, the tote board displayed a betting pool again but did not show his odds and showed another horse as favored.

Last edited by cj; 11-06-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #133
AlsoEligible

Quote:
But don't assume the technology is quite as certain as you think
I worked for one of the tote companies for 15 years. I know what the systems can (and can’t) do, and if the stewards had wanted to put the horse back in, he would have been put back in.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #134
dilanesp

And... we have another situation in the Mile.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #135
dilanesp

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
I worked for one of the tote companies for 15 years. I know what the systems can (and can’t) do, and if the stewards had wanted to put the horse back in, he would have been put back in.
He WAS reinserted- see their statement- and I am telling you that the tote system didn't play ball. I trust your expertise and maybe they would have fixed it, but that's not what happened yesterday.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: