Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Prairie Bettor

RTN down?

I'm at Prairie Meadows and the RTN signal is down.

The dish network "complete signal loss" screen is on the monitors.

The workers are saying it's not a local problem, that the entire network is down at every track in the US.

I say it's a local dish alignment problem.

Anyone able to confirm that dish network RTN is working?
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

not working at EVD or CTX according to announcers
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
fiveouttasix

No payoffs or results posted on 4NJBets for Del Mar race 1
fiveouttasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Prairie Bettor

Seems to be working now.

Was out for two hours or so.
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
garyscpa

Was out at Gulf Greyhound in Houston as well. A friend who has it at home said his went out as well.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
BreadandButter

Mine was out at home as well.
BreadandButter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor
I'm at Prairie Meadows and the RTN signal is down.

The dish network "complete signal loss" screen is on the monitors.

The workers are saying it's not a local problem, that the entire network is down at every track in the US.

I say it's a local dish alignment problem.

Anyone able to confirm that dish network RTN is working?
This happened on Fri 8/2..I was in NY on vacation. The OTB cable channel which picks up the Roberts feed, lost the feed just before the 8th or 9th race.
Same message.."complete signal loss"...
The problem is most likely at the Roberts Uplink facility. All signals are sent there either via satellite link from the track or via fiber network.
To make this a bit easier to understand, I will offer an example.
For most local network stations on the East Coast, Dish subscribers receive their local channels via a Dish uplink center in Mt Jackson, VA. Each station's signal is received via over the air antennas mounted at a telephone company "point of presence" (POP) in the city from which the station broadcasts...Inside the building the signals are routed through a switch which then sends the signals via fiber optic cables up to Mount Jackson. That facility then bounces the signals off Dish's satellites back to their customers. If there are heavy thunderstorms in the area of MT Jackson, all signals of those local channels can be 'lost' due to interference.
I am going to take a flyer and make a case for the same at Roberts Comm uplink. Heavy weather.

Last edited by thespaah; 08-09-2013 at 10:53 PM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

http://www.drf.com/news/simulcast-si...lackout-friday

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
And there ya have it. The other RTN up link center is I believe in New Hampshire. Not sure, but that is the best info I could find on the Company website.
No the signals cannot be rerouted. In case you or anyone else was going to ask.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
And there ya have it. The other RTN up link center is I believe in New Hampshire. Not sure, but that is the best info I could find on the Company website.
No the signals cannot be rerouted. In case you or anyone else was going to ask.
It's in Wyoming, it's in the article.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
edmond1

Noticed that this has been happening frequently in the last while. Don't recall this happening when the faster C-Band system was used - only minor seasonal solar issues. While DN/RTN was out TVG had no problems broadcasting their C-Band signal. Seems that they know better not to rely on DN/RTN for their source feeds - they access them directly from racetrack.....

Good work Roberts Communications. I was at Woodbine at the time and amused to witness most people running for the exits after a few minutes of this unnecessary bullsh!t. This episode has just added to the 10's of millions in handle already lost since the conversion.......
edmond1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
One in Colorado and one in Wyoming?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
The OTHER uplink center.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond1
Noticed that this has been happening frequently in the last while. Don't recall this happening when the faster C-Band system was used - only minor seasonal solar issues. While DN/RTN was out TVG had no problems broadcasting their C-Band signal. Seems that they know better not to rely on DN/RTN for their source feeds - they access them directly from racetrack.....

Good work Roberts Communications. I was at Woodbine at the time and amused to witness most people running for the exits after a few minutes of this unnecessary bullsh!t. This episode has just added to the 10's of millions in handle already lost since the conversion.......
C-band is not 'faster'. With C-band there was one less step in the transmission cycle.
All satellite signals travel at the speed of light.
All satellite signals are subject to a condition known in the business as "rain fade"..Simply put, precipitation that refracts or blocks reception of the signal.
With the sheer size of C-band antennas, greater 'gain' was realized and thus rain fade was less frequent.
Now, if you've ever seen a satellite tv uplink center, you would note the size of the antennas.
Here's an example of the setup of satellite tv transmissions and how they get from the source to the viewer.
http://www.cannonsatellitetv.com/blo...mation/page/2/
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
edmond1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
C-band is not 'faster'. With C-band there was one less step in the transmission cycle.
All satellite signals travel at the speed of light.
All satellite signals are subject to a condition known in the business as "rain fade"..Simply put, precipitation that refracts or blocks reception of the signal.
With the sheer size of C-band antennas, greater 'gain' was realized and thus rain fade was less frequent.
Now, if you've ever seen a satellite tv uplink center, you would note the size of the antennas.
Here's an example of the setup of satellite tv transmissions and how they get from the source to the viewer.
http://www.cannonsatellitetv.com/blo...mation/page/2/
Thanks for the info. This extra step has added an extra 2-3 second delay in final product and as was witnessed on Friday more chances for something to go wrong. Now that they have the hardware major betting locations should consider receiving fiber feeds directly from racetracks reducing the real-time delay to 1 second instead of 5. TVG is on the ball when it comes to this .... Woodbine receives a direct feed from Mohawk....
edmond1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply