Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #91
dukeofperl

EasyTask Version 1.2

I have upgraded EasyTask to Version 1.2 which now lists the winning horse name in the 'RAW' (csv) file.

EasyTask is available here ...

http://myweb.cableone.net/skunkcreekcrew/freeware.html

The usual caveat emptor ... it is lightly tested. Please let me know if it doesn't behave correctly.

Thanks

Duke

River Hip Woman ~ Charlie Musselwhite ~

~My avatar~

Last edited by dukeofperl; 04-16-2012 at 01:32 PM.
dukeofperl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #92
TexasDolly

Looking Good

Hey Duke,
I sent you a few notes on the first version you made available
for us. I have just started to look at this one and I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much you've improved the
program . At any rate, I haven't turned up anything as of yet
but there is one thing I wondered about. The subfolder "Datafiles" is 9 charcters long and I can't get it to work in
win98(only honors 8 characters) . I work around it using XP but it means a lot of file manipulation from one OS to the other. But again thank you
for sharing it with us. It is pretty nice to have.
TD
TexasDolly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #93
TexasDolly

Sax 6.5 Turf

Can't find any values for this track and dist 6.5 SA turf.
Probably one of those with an about dist.
TD
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #94
Light
Veteran

dukeofperl

Just took a look at your latest version and it is very nice. I didn't realize it has everything to make home made variants and pars very quickly,(In the Raw file). Except for one thing. Race Classification such as C5000n3L. In the Bris single files it is fields 536 - 545. Just wishing.

But Thanks for what you have already done. This is by far the best free horse racing tool on the net.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #95
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDolly
Hey Duke,
I sent you a few notes on the first version you made available
for us. I have just started to look at this one and I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much you've improved the
program . At any rate, I haven't turned up anything as of yet
but there is one thing I wondered about. The subfolder "Datafiles" is 9 charcters long and I can't get it to work in
win98(only honors 8 characters) . I work around it using XP but it means a lot of file manipulation from one OS to the other. But again thank you
for sharing it with us. It is pretty nice to have.
TD
Hi TD

I wasn't aware (or I had forgotten) win98 was restricted to the 8.3 format.

Would like to say I will shorten the Datafiles name but that may upset the works for other users.

Let me think about this for a bit.

Thanks

~My avatar~

Last edited by dukeofperl; 05-05-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #96
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
dukeofperl

Just took a look at your latest version and it is very nice. I didn't realize it has everything to make home made variants and pars very quickly,(In the Raw file). Except for one thing. Race Classification such as C5000n3L. In the Bris single files it is fields 536 - 545. Just wishing.

But Thanks for what you have already done. This is by far the best free horse racing tool on the net.
I hesitate to thin the results by including classes (simply too many of them if you include all the qualifiers) but I may agree to adding the classes in the RAW file if that would help -- possibly that is what you would like see anyway.

Let me think about it.

Best approach I've seen to classes is using claiming 10K as a standard across all tracks (most have C10K or something very close) -- pretty much how it is spelled out in the Quirin method.

Another interesting approach is using the final quarter time (or whatever it is for the distance) as a measure of class. William Scott does this in his book in a very intriguing manner. I plan on blending some of his ideas into my speed figure system in the near future.

~My avatar~

Last edited by dukeofperl; 05-05-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #97
Light
Veteran

I was thinking if you could add the corresponding class in a new column in the Raw file only (from fields 536 - 545). Sort of like you did with the "winners names". Not necessary to get more complicated than that.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #98
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I was thinking if you could add the corresponding class in a new column in the Raw file only (from fields 536 - 545). Sort of like you did with the "winners names". Not necessary to get more complicated than that.
I'll add 536-545 to the RAW file on the next release.

Probably have it ready by mid-week or sooner.

duke

~My avatar~
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #99
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofperl
I hesitate to thin the results by including classes (simply too many of them if you include all the qualifiers) but I may agree to adding the classes in the RAW file if that would help -- possibly that is what you would like see anyway.

Let me think about it.

Best approach I've seen to classes is using claiming 10K as a standard across all tracks (most have C10K or something very close) -- pretty much how it is spelled out in the Quirin method.

Another interesting approach is using the final quarter time (or whatever it is for the distance) as a measure of class. William Scott does this in his book in a very intriguing manner. I plan on blending some of his ideas into my speed figure system in the near future.
Contact Jeff Platt of Jcapper. He should be adding pars for all points of call. They are class sensitive and will be from the HDW database.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #100
dukeofperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap
Contact Jeff Platt of Jcapper. He should be adding pars for all points of call. They are class sensitive and will be from the HDW database.
That's good to know -- thanks hcap

~My avatar~
Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #101
dukeofperl

I have uploaded EasyTask V1.3 ... it is available here ...

http://myweb.cableone.net/skunkcreekcrew/freeware.html

Release Notes:

1) For users that are having an issue with folder names longer than 8 characters, you can rename the datafiles folder to data and the program will use that one instead. Do not use both, one or the other.

2) This new version includes the class in the last column of the RAW file.

3) Some cosmetic stuff.

Actually I'm glad I decided to include the classes because it led me to inspect the RAW file in a bit more detail than I had before and I spotted some inconsistencies of the single-format datafiles (drf, eg, mcp) as follows:

See this screen capture to follow along:

http://myweb.cableone.net/skunkcreekcrew/notunique.png

This is only instance ... there are many ... these are 5 lines from the RAW file for a horse named A BLACK THORN. There are only 3 unique races but one of them is showing up 3 times due to inconsistencies of the datafiles.

I had ~ 435 datafiles in this run resulting in ~ 150,000 races, many of them are duplicates from separate data files with slightly different information for each race, albeit they are indeed the same race .... 3rd race at EMD on May 30, 2009.

Note the variants in column-8. Two of the data files had a 16 and one data file did not have a variant so it gets a 'na'. That alone disqualifies them from being eliminated as duplicates because they are not truly duplicates. They are in fact different entries.

Also note the classes on these same 3 entries. All intend to state MD12500 but one of them tacks on a 'c' to make it MD12500c -- again disqualifying them from being duplicates. At the moment I have no idea what this is about. Anyone have any ideas ?

So ... I had to craft a custom sort-unique construct to handle these entries ... the tricky part was being sure to remove the 'na' entries and keep the valid entries (in some cases there was no valid entry so the 'na' remains). This new construct added a second or two to the run time but nothing that can't be tolerated. If anyone wants the steps I used to handle this, let me know.

I want to say these duplicates are now cleaned up, but being a lightly tested release, I'll leave it to the users to let me know if they see any nonsense entries.

Due to some recent inquiries on loading EasyTask I'm including a step by step on the download and setup:

1) Point your browser to the link at the top of this post.

2) Click on the link to EasyTask_V1.3_setup.exe and OK the download form.

3) Navigate in a file manager to the EasyTask_V1.3_setup.exe (that you downloaded) and double-click the file.

4) It will automatically load the program and place an icon on your desktop.

5) Navigate in a file manager to C:\EasyTask\datafiles and place your single-file format data files (.drf, .eg, .mcp) in the data files folder.

6) Double-click the EasyTask icon on your desktop (answer yes to the disclaimer on the initial invocation)

7) Fill in the number of days you want for aging restraints ... I.E. if you want to go back 3 months you would use 90 and for 6 months you would use 180 or any number you want. (within reason -- 5000000 might be a bit overkill).

8) Click the 'Create Task Reports' button and wait for it to complete.

9) Navigate in a file manager to C:\EasyTask\reports and you will find the 3 Task report files.

If anyone has additional questions, ask me here, PM me or email dukeofperl@hotmail.com

Thanks and please excuse the bandwidth

~My avatar~

Last edited by dukeofperl; 05-09-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #102
mikesal57
Veteran

Duke..well done...

Is it possible to add 1st call numbers...I'm an early player

thxs
mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #103
TexasDolly

Thanks Duke

I just downloaded the new version but I haven't run anything as yet. Thank you for making the new subfolder "Data" option available. As usual I will send you a note on the results when I run it.
Thanks again,
TD
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #104
Pcon04

md12500c

duke

I'm pretty sure that the md12500c means it was claimed fron that race

thanks for your hard work
Pcon
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #105
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcon04
duke

I'm pretty sure that the md12500c means it was claimed fron that race

thanks for your hard work
Pcon
If these are Bris data files, yes the "c" denotes having been claimed in the previous race.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply